RS Prop Masters 10th Anniversary Stunt Helmet

And another 4 years later its complete green again. :D
I´m not really a fan of paintjobs like this...this helmets are really expensive and should have a more durable paintjob.

Hopefully people that buy them know the paint will flake off over time. The point of these is to be as close to what was used on screen as possible. That includes a paint job that isn't durable.

You can certainly get a similar look but a more durable finish by painting several layers on an ABS helmet.

Hopefully people that buy them know the paint will flake off over time. The point of these is to be as close to what was used on screen as possible. That includes a paint job that isn't durable.

You can certainly get a similar look but a more durable finish by painting several layers on an ABS helmet.

I think he could be potentially referring more towards the fact that the paint on the original seems to last longer, whilst these are peeling faster. From what I remember, the Og's were painted in three stages, Red primer, White rubbery base coast, White hard colour coat. I think the rubber coat may or may not have been omitted.

Last edited:
I think he could be potentially referring more towards the fact that the paint on the original seems to last longer, whilst these are peeling faster. From what I remember, the Og's were painted in three stages, Red primer, White rubbery base coast, White hard colour coat. I think the rubber coat may or may not have been omitted.
I have one from thier first run and it still has all of the paint it came with. You have to really chip at it or bash it around to get it to chip. If it's just on display it may lose a tiny bit but it's not just going to fall off. If you think Ainsworth would go as far to make things greater than these helmets you'd have another thing coming:)

Ben

I have one from thier first run and it still has all of the paint it came with. You have to really chip at it or bash it around to get it to chip. If it's just on display it may lose a tiny bit but it's not just going to fall off. If you think Ainsworth would go as far to make things greater than these helmets you'd have another thing coming:)

Ben
Im not sure what you're getting at with that last sentence lmao, im no supporter of AA. Ofcourse when it comes down to it, I know he aint no artist.

"like used on screen" is not possible because you cannot use the real old colors they used in the 70s.So I think thats the reason why this helmets loosing their paint after 4 years and the real ones after 40. ;)

"like used on screen" is not possible because you cannot use the real old colors they used in the 70s.So I think thats the reason why this helmets loosing their paint after 4 years and the real ones after 40. ;)

There are most likely many differences in the materials used. Different plastic and paint could make a difference in durability.

It's also possible the number of white layers is different. It could just be the lighting, but the white in the below image doesn't look glossy to me.
http://starwarshelmets.com/May04/streethelmets1.jpg

I would think the conditions the helmet is kept in will make a big difference in how they age. The photos I have seen of the screen used helmets vary quite a bit in how much paint has flaked off. Unfortunately I am not aware of photos of the same helmet taken a year or two apart to show how the paint on a single helmet aged over time.

There are most likely many differences in the materials used. Different plastic and paint could make a difference in durability.

It's also possible the number of white layers is different. It could just be the lighting, but the white in the below image doesn't look glossy to me.

I would think the conditions the helmet is kept in will make a big difference in how they age. The photos I have seen of the screen used helmets vary quite a bit in how much paint has flaked off. Unfortunately I am not aware of photos of the same helmet taken a year or two apart to show how the paint on a single helmet aged over time.
Yes thats the problem.And thats why I think "like used on screen"is only an option for RS to press more money from the people.
730$ plus shipping for a Trooperhelmet...wow..it works. ;)

Yes thats the problem.And thats why I think "like used on screen"is only an option for RS to press more money from the people.
730$ plus shipping for a Trooperhelmet...wow..it works. ;)

They didn't take away the standard version and replace it with a more expensive version. The "green" helmet is a limited time option for people who want to buy it. I would hope anyone willing to spend that much understands what they are getting and how it is different than the standard version. The customer has a choice of a helmet that looks great, won't have issues with paint flaking, but is not made the way the actual stunt helmets were made or a helmet that looks great, will most likely have paint flaking off, but is very close to how the actual stunt helmets were made. Having several choices is good for the consumer.

I assume much of the cost difference is because of the additional labor for painting several layers on the "green" helmets.

As far as which is better, it depends on what the customer wants from the helmet.

They didn't take away the standard version and replace it with a more expensive version. The "green" helmet is a limited time option for people who want to buy it. I would hope anyone willing to spend that much understands what they are getting and how it is different than the standard version. The customer has a choice of a helmet that looks great, won't have issues with paint flaking, but is not made the way the actual stunt helmets were made or a helmet that looks great, will most likely have paint flaking off, but is very close to how the actual stunt helmets were made. Having several choices is good for the consumer.

I assume much of the cost difference is because of the additional labor for painting several layers on the "green" helmets.

As far as which is better, it depends on what the customer wants from the helmet.
Oh I have no problem what people wants to pay for this helmets.Only with the promise "like used on screen" because I think thats not the case.

RS is using a mold taken from their screen used helmet, casting in the same type of plastic and colour as the originals then priming it with the same red etch primer and painting a final white coat. All of this is the same as the screen used helmets. The talk of rubbery layers of paint is unfounded and I don't believe Ainsworth would have made the effort to do this. He slapped these things together. As for the pic from Star Wars Helmets showing no gloss. Utter crap. That's the sun washing out the picture. We know the armour was glossy and you can't see that in the photo. Also look at those helmets. They literally just got painted and the paint is falling off in areas.

Ben

RS is using a mold taken from their screen used helmet, casting in the same type of plastic and colour as the originals then priming it with the same red etch primer and painting a final white coat. All of this is the same as the screen used helmets. The talk of rubbery layers of paint is unfounded and I don't believe Ainsworth would have made the effort to do this. He slapped these things together. As for the pic from Star Wars Helmets showing no gloss. Utter crap. That's the sun washing out the picture. We know the armour was glossy and you can't see that in the photo. Also look at those helmets. They literally just got painted and the paint is falling off in areas.

Ben

At first the stacked armor sheets looked more glossy to me than the helmets, but I think it is due to the angle the light is coming from. The edges pointing towards the camera show a glare. The helmets don't have much of an edge at that angle except for along the edge of the ears.

Even in this photo some of the helmets appear to already have paint flaking off.

Oh I have no problem what people wants to pay for this helmets.Only with the promise "like used on screen" because I think thats not the case.

What on Stormtrooper Stunt Helmet 10th Anniversary Edition. | RS Propmasters isn't accurate?

I am not aware of much evidence to show how an individual original helmet flaked over the years. Usually the later photos are decades later. Obviously those helmets were treated pretty roughly during filming and sometimes in the years after filming.

The originals certainly did flake, even while making the film. I don't know if the original plan was to make the screen used armor the same way as the stunt helmets or not, but it would make sense for that to have been the plan. They must have realized the problem with painting Polypropylene since the TK armor, hero TK helmets, and TIE Pilot helmets/armor were all made with bare ABS, not painted Polypropylene.

My RS 10th Anniv helmet still looks the same as when I received it.

No need to feed the uneducated trolls. This is as close as we can get to owning an original Stormtrooper helmet. Full stop.

Here’s my battle worn helmet. My clean one should be arriving in a few days.

4CCD9AFC-ED3C-4A38-9DBB-2317C57A49D1.jpeg

At first the stacked armor sheets looked more glossy to me than the helmets, but I think it is due to the angle the light is coming from. The edges pointing towards the camera show a glare. The helmets don't have much of an edge at that angle except for along the edge of the ears.

Even in this photo some of the helmets appear to already have paint flaking off.
1628221868272.png

1628221881047.png

Same website, pretty glossy.

And the photos you provided were of the initial base coat layer (2nd layer) I was describing. Process as follows: Red oxide, flat/satin white, ears on, gloss coat white.

The ears in this photo:
1628224355926.png

Are infact unpainted. As the gloss coat was the only paint that touched it. You can see that some of the ears are of a different hue.

So you are indeed correct that the helmets aren't glossy in comparison to the ABS which my eye can see as glossy.

I think this was confirmed by either Gino or some other member who touched the o.g. helmets either here or another forum which we know is solely based around the stormtrooper, they mentioned the reason the missing paint in the ears in the above photo is because of the lack of colour coat giving it a hard surface, and that the 2 initial coats of paint flaked off in that area as it wasn't protected by the final paint layer.

You can see evidence of a totally different "white paint" with the "red primer" in the ear sections.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Ben
I can promise you that they 100% not used the same primer.They used one that looks like this.Same with the plastic.And thats ok for a replica.
The only thing I ask: Is a green plastic and some modern red primer under the white so much more money worth?Their great standard stunt version costs 416$ this one 730$.Over 300$ more.Thats crazy.

The only thing I ask: Is a green plastic and some modern red primer under the white so much more money worth?Their great standard stunt version costs 416$ this one 730$.Over 300$ more.Thats crazy.
People will pay what they feel like paying. Nobody is forcing them. I think it's great for such a replica.Years ago these sorts of things were just a dream. Now there's multiple on offer. It's something they don't offer all the time whereas their normal helmet is always offered. I've seen people pay ridiculous money for far less. It's sounding more like you have an agenda the way you keep mentioning the cost. Besides they are closing the run very soon anyway so you won't have to worry about it.

Ben

What on Stormtrooper Stunt Helmet 10th Anniversary Edition. | RS Propmasters isn't accurate?

I am not aware of much evidence to show how an individual original helmet flaked over the years. Usually the later photos are decades later. Obviously those helmets were treated pretty roughly during filming and sometimes in the years after filming.

The originals certainly did flake, even while making the film. I don't know if the original plan was to make the screen used armor the same way as the stunt helmets or not, but it would make sense for that to have been the plan. They must have realized the problem with painting Polypropylene since the TK armor, hero TK helmets, and TIE Pilot helmets/armor were all made with bare ABS, not painted Polypropylene.

My RS 10th Anniv helmet still looks the same as when I received it.
They didn't switch to ABS for the armour because they were having problems painting the HDPE. They tried making the helmets with ABS as well at first, but had trouble getting the ABS helmets off the buck without cracking/ breaking the plastic, because of the the deep undercuts on the Stormy tubes. Therefore, they switched to HDPE which was much more flexible and easy to pry off the buck without breaking.

The helmets were never meant to last, only to complete the filming hence the limited life span of the paint. I also think I read somewhere that they might have used latex house paint and just put that on with a brush.

If you look closely at ANH you can see the stunt Stormy helmets are a slightly different white than their armour.

People will pay what they feel like paying. Nobody is forcing them. I think it's great for such a replica.Years ago these sorts of things were just a dream. Now there's multiple on offer. It's something they don't offer all the time whereas their normal helmet is always offered. I've seen people pay ridiculous money for far less. It's sounding more like you have an agenda the way you keep mentioning the cost. Besides they are closing the run very soon anyway so you won't have to worry about it.

Ben
I have no Agenda...the only thing I said is that this upgrade to the normal stuntversion is not worth over 300$.
And thats only my own opinion.I cannot understand why every skeptical person must have an agenda or something.
But I think its the same like with the Apple stuff...they can release what they want...the real fans will buy it.Oh and I also have an Iphone.
But its 2 years old.;) :D

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back