RPFers, need script dialog help!

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey Gang, was wondering if anyone here as worked as an Air Traffic Controller as a civilian or better yet in the military?

I'm writing a script that has a UFO entering the Earth's atmosphere and is picked up by radar. It's set in 1957.

I've been doing research, but since it's a period piece, it's been hard to find terminology of that time frame and who would even track that sort of thing in the late 50's. I know Strategic Air Command was in full operation then, but still don't know how they would handle that sort of UFO situation. I love the ATC scene in Close Encounters and the real dialog they used and want to capture that realism.

Would love and appreciate any input and ideas.

Thank you!

I can't help with the dialog, but my uncle was in one of those situations. I've mentioned this before, but he was a KC-135 boom operator in Vietnam and into the early 80s. He was based at Loring AFB and was there in the 1970s (I think 75) when they had that famous UFO incident where it shot a beam at the nuclear weapons storage. His plane was in the air and they were vectored to observe what it was doing. So maybe that helps a little with how they would use some airborne assets.

I can't help with the dialog, but my uncle was in one of those situations. I've mentioned this before, but he was a KC-135 boom operator in Vietnam and into the early 80s. He was based at Loring AFB and was there in the 1970s (I think 75) when they had that famous UFO incident where it shot a beam at the nuclear weapons storage. His plane was in the air and they were vectored to observe what it was doing. So maybe that helps a little with how they would use some airborne assets.
Thank you!!

I don't have a lot of experience in ATC terminology, but I'm pretty sure that it hasn't changed significantly from 1957. The technology has though.
I'm certain that they were very structured in their communication in the past and were very formal in their language. Clear and concise with slight pauses in the speech in order for the message to be transmitted clearly the first time. Modern ATC seem like they slur all the dialogue together, but they are talking fast so they can talk to the next aircraft. They used the phonetic alphabet to ensure accurate communication, which of course, is still used today. Negative, Affirmative (not nah, nope, no, or yes, yup or uh-huh). All military pilots were usually officers so they would be addressed as their rank or sir. If I'm not mistaken, I believe civilian airlines would identify themselves as their airline name, not an acronym. "Redding Tower this is Pan American Airways Flight 201 from Boston, do you copy? Over". BTW, if you're quoting airlines, ensure that they were in operation back then and the name was the same, as some have updated their official names over the years.

Radar technology back in that time wasn't as accurate as it is today. Speed, range, altitude and closing velocity were not accurate and fluctuated greatly in adverse weather conditions. The range wasn't as great, and many places would rely on on civilian radar and other military bases to continue tracking contacts. They didn't have transponders back then and any contacts would have to be contacted by radio, confirming their position and heading. The radar screens had limited information the radar track was just like in the old movies where the scanning line would travel around the screen illuminating the contact for a second, while it slowly faded until the next pass.

TazMan2000

That Close Encounters scene is by far my favorite of any film.
No music, no visuals, just comms between pilots and ATC, and it's amazing.

Kind of a longshot but have you considered contacting stratcom?
I'm sure there's someone there who'd be able to point you in the right direction. Maybe archived ATC transcripts.

Been doing more indepth research on Air Traffic Control and Strategic Air Command in the 1950's and early 60's. Surprisingly not much info (at least not enough to write what I would consider a realistic scene).

Maybe that means I can have a bit of creative license, but that would still bug me. That ATC scene in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS is the pinnacle of using realism in movie making and I'm still amazed at how much it affects me now just as it did as a 13 year old sitting in the theater.

That Close Encounters scene is by far my favorite of any film.
No music, no visuals, just comms between pilots and ATC, and it's amazing.

Kind of a longshot but have you considered contacting stratcom?
I'm sure there's someone there who'd be able to point you in the right direction. Maybe archived ATC transcripts.

It definitely won't hurt! I'll fire off an email and see what happens.

What about contacting the guy from the documentary unacknowledged and encounters of the 5th kind?, His name slips my mind right now.

I'm not saying that he will know the language of air traffic controllers back in the 60s but he might know who does, and put you in contact with him or her.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back