Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

I never understood the leeriness at this announcement. The final Razor Crest will be just as nice as the test article. They'll find the right way to do it to capture everything while not making things as fiddly as the FineMolds Falcon. :p

Maybe it's because eg: Moebius' 2001 models look good in test prints, and are extremely disappointing in their injection-moulded final result!

I do realize that Moebius isn't the same as Round 2 and their sub-brands, though!

One thing I'm disappointed with on the Razor crest mock up is the way the engines go together. I mean how hard would it have been to make the engines assemble in a stacking mode so that the seam does not go through detail? Such a seemingly simple thing that probably would have cost them an extra $.05 per kit. Charge me the extra dollar and lay out the parts with some more forethought... Geeze... The rest of the Kit looks great.

Jedi Dade

One thing I'm disappointed with on the Razor crest mock up is the way the engines go together. I mean how hard would it have been to make the engines assemble in a stacking mode so that the seam does not go through detail? Such a seemingly simple thing that probably would have cost them an extra $.05 per kit. Charge me the extra dollar and lay out the parts with some more forethought... Geeze... The rest of the Kit looks great.

Jedi Dade
Again, it was a mock up. The parts breakdown could be different.

Jedi Dade
I’m confused, and no expert on the RC—hence the confusion? The seams is seem to be where there IS a seam. It looks like the detail is all different where seams are. Reminds me of the first kit I ever used putty on when I learned about hiding seams. Apache helicopter. And pretty much every seam I covered was actually a panel line

I’m confused, and no expert on the RC—hence the confusion? The seams is seem to be where there IS a seam. It looks like the detail is all different where seams are. Reminds me of the first kit I ever used putty on when I learned about hiding seams. Apache helicopter. And pretty much every seam I covered was actually a panel line
Nah. Look at the outer edges (front and back) of the engines. They are circles/Rings with detailing in the grooves. In this kit they are 1/2 circles and the seam goes through perpendicular... makes a seam in places that are hard to reach without messing up the detail. could have easily been avoided by making those outer rings "stack" and fit onto the main engine housing. R2 did this with the 1/350 TOS enterprise engines that have "rings" near the front. They made the rings stackable and eliminated the need for a seam cutting through them.

This part here is what I'm talking about:
1631744611941.png

Jedi Dade

could have easily been avoided by making those outer rings "stack" and fit onto the main engine housing. R2 did this with the 1/350 TOS enterprise engines that have "rings" near the front. They made the rings stackable and eliminated the need for a seam cutting through them.
Exactly my thoughts. However, this detail could be the key to determine if the Revell is identical. If Revell's RC has such a seam line in the exact same place it might indicate that both kits are the same. I'm really looking forward to the first comparison shots of the two.

I'm not sure if I have faith in Revell to make something that is worth buying. I remember their rendition of the new A-wing had the cannon bottoms hollowed out making it difficult to be considered anything but a toy. Mind you that was a smaller model, but it seems like their SW line is mostly geared toward children and snap together models. Don't say "What about the big SD". That was a Zvezda model.

TazMan2000

I'm not sure if I have faith in Revell to make something that is worth buying. I remember their rendition of the new A-wing had the cannon bottoms hollowed out making it difficult to be considered anything but a toy. Mind you that was a smaller model, but it seems like their SW line is mostly geared toward children and snap together models. Don't say "What about the big SD". That was a Zvezda model.

TazMan2000
Yeah, based on track record, Round 2 seems like it will be the better detailed and more complete model i.e. no semi-hollow/complete parts like the A-Wing Guns etc...

Although I think both Revell and Round 2 have earned a lot from Bandai as to what Star Wars modelers are looking for

Accuracy, detail and consistency in scales. I think that is the main reason Revell tried to stick with 1/72 for the Razor Crest

Hopefully they don't cut corners like they have done with some of the build and play stuff that had lights and sounds. However, in the end they know what they can sell best, and it maybe that the toy masquerading as a model really is their bread and butter

Yeah, based on track record, Round 2 seems like it will be the better detailed and more complete model i.e. no semi-hollow/complete parts like the A-Wing Guns etc...

Although I think both Revell and Round 2 have earned a lot from Bandai as to what Star Wars modelers are looking for

Accuracy, detail and consistency in scales. I think that is the main reason Revell tried to stick with 1/72 for the Razor Crest

Hopefully they don't cut corners like they have done with some of the build and play stuff that had lights and sounds. However, in the end they know what they can sell best, and it maybe that the toy masquerading as a model really is their bread and butter

The recent pictures of their new SR-71 proves they can make good models. I understand if they are making models to fill a niche market. If you get simple models that a kid can put together easily, then maybe that kid will get bigger and more complex models in the future and keep the business going.

But yeah...Revell needs to step up their game.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. The fact that it is a standard scale shows some promise, but it could be that they are making the sprue trees fit a box, and the scale was by accident.

TazMan2000

The Razor Crest Bandai kit was at Hobby Lobby this past weekend when I went. I was tempted to get it but at $35.00 I decided to open the box and peek at it. (It’s closed with a band, so I didn’t tear into it)

The model was only a little over two inches long so I passed on it.

I see both Revell and AMT are showing off a 1/72 kit. Monsters in motion has the AMT kit for about $58 on pre-order. The Revell seems to be going around $70.

The Razor Crest Bandai kit was at Hobby Lobby this past weekend when I went. I was tempted to get it but at $35.00 I decided to open the box and peek at it. (It’s closed with a band, so I didn’t tear into it)

I see both Revell and AMT are showing off a 1/72 kit. Monsters in motion has the AMT kit for about $58 on pre-order. The Revell seems to be going around $70.
Standard problem with Bandai, models that are so small, they're only of use for dioramas.

Standard problem with Bandai, models that are so small, they're only of use for dioramas.
Well, the problem is more or less that Star Wars in Japan and in asia in general seems not to be very popular in asia. Therefore we should be thankful for any SW kit that Bandai releases. With the 1/48 X-Wing, the ISD and the PG Falcon Bandai released pretty nice and large kits, but thats not their fault that bandai cant sell a lot in asia and the european and US market is pretty regulated about imports.
I#m currently in taiwan and collecting alot of unwanted SW kits. Gems for me, but few people interested in over here. The figure series in 1/12 is brilliant and nothing comparable from Revell or any other manufacturer yet. For sure the "nerdy" kit builder scene in asia is way bigger, which might explain that few people in europe or the us are into building their own "action" figures imo.
But yes - the Bandai crest is ridiculous small

I have the Revell RC built and it's in the painting stage. Detail is soft in places, some of the parts are wack. I have the R2 RC on pre-order just to compare. We'll see. Any news on an actual release date?

I don't know about the HL's where you are but they generally have a 40% discount on model kits every other week.

I have the Revell RC built and it's in the painting stage. Detail is soft in places, some of the parts are wack. I have the R2 RC on pre-order just to compare. We'll see. Any news on an actual release date?
Unfortunately, Round2 is being incredibly vague on this, as of late. They didn't even have the build in their 'virtual' booth.

Now that the Hawk and Grissom are reaching retailers, the Razor Crest is the only upcoming, all new, SciFi kit they have announced.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back