Round2 Acquires Star Wars License

I will say this: when Round 2 teased their new Trek kit a few years back by saying, "Something wicked cool this way comes," I was correct in declaring it would absolutely be the 1/350 K'tinga. So I'm putting my marker on the blockade runner.

Obviously, Round 2 is hinting strongly that it's first new Star Wars kit will be the first ship ever seen in Star Wars, the Rebel Blockade Runner, or Tantive IV. I mean, hello -- May the 4th... Tantive 4... It's all clear as day, people!!!View attachment 1454648

It could be a Tie Bomber

the hint being that the ILM filming model used the wings from the original MPC release of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, thus why they posted that picture

It could be a Tie Bomber

the hint being that the ILM filming model used the wings from the original MPC release of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, thus why they posted that picture

That's a great observation. Not outside the realm of possibility. It's definitely something never done before and if they used the MPC molds for the wings they would be able to say the kit is studio scale. As a subject, it's a little obscure for a first release. Honestly, if its not the blockade runner I would think that something like a 1/48 Y-Wing would push more sales than a bomber. For a first release it seems like a given that they'd do a "good guy" hero ship, but maybe they're hoping to throw a curve ball and make a "bad guy" studio scale kit to show they can compete with Bandai's attention to detail (and do a ship Bandai doesn't have).

tea party GIF by CBS

Looks like a 1/48 Vader's TIE to me.

"our first all-new Star Wars model kit".

Does that mean an all-new Star Wars model kit that nobody has ever released or just Round 2's first all-new Star Wars model kit?

I guess we will find out in June.

TazMan2000

"our first all-new Star Wars model kit".

Does that mean an all-new Star Wars model kit that nobody has ever released or just Round 2's first all-new Star Wars model kit?

I guess we will find out in June.

TazMan2000
It means the first all new tooling of a SW kit from Round2. (could be both)

Honestly this is way faster than I expected! I expected a few repops make some quick easy money before spending anything on a new tool... to me this tells me they are serious about it and that makes me VERY happy!

Jedi Dade

It seems rather fast for developing an all new kit (even in 3d), considering they just announced that they have the license. I know...negotiations could have been in the works for many months/years, but I don't believe that Disney would allow development of a new project unless the contract was official. I'm hoping for something big, but I'm not expecting much at this time.

TazMan2000

This sounds cool new kits of Star Wars ships yep blockade runner sounds cool. Never built a round 2 kit they do good stuff? will be watching the developments of this.

I hope it's actually a cool new kit, but I would guess it will end up being something boring like a tiny 1/144 Snowspeeder or something. Possibly useful, but not exactly a TIE Bomber or Republic Gunship.

The new tools that they have done for their star trek kits have been very good... as have the new tools for space 1999. If the SW kits are as good as those (and I see no reason they would not be) we should all be very happy.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
My bar is set at "will this look accurate built out of the box?" The days of having to depend on aftermarket parts or scratch building to correct or replace details that kits just get wrong due to spotty research or plain old indifference should be behind us. We should never again have to deal with a Millennium Falcon with too tall side walls or parallel mandibles. If I buy aftermarket items, it should because I want to add something a little extra to the kit, not because the kit itself is deficient. Round 2 has made definite improvements in this regard in recent years. Would they be capable of producing a kit equal to the Bandai PG Falcon? Probably not. So I hope Bandai stays in the game -- if for no other reason than to keep pushing Round 2 to do their best work.

Space 1999 Eagle kits were thoroughly researched. They even went as far as having the Eagle 1 vs Eagle 2 variant for the greeblie details

For the Hawk they had decals for whether you were doing the pre-production scheme vs the final on screen version

I am not worried

Also don't forget, parts counts will be misleading. Their kit molding is much less complex since they do not have to worry about snap fit and molded in color stuff. They can do the whole X-Wing Fuselage half for example as one piece

Last edited:
I don't think we will see Bandai level of quality and detail, but I think we should get good kits.

Space 1999 Eagle kits were thoroughly researched. They even went as far as having the Eagle 1 vs Eagle 2 variant for the greeblie details

For the Hawk they had decals for whether you were doing the pre-production scheme vs the final on screen version

I am not worried

Also don't forget, parts counts will be misleading. Their kit molding is much less complex since they do not have to worry about snap fit and molded in color stuff. They can do the whole X-Wing Fuselage half for example as one piece

&.....they like to do BIG scale models

J

I want a big Millennium Falcon that doesn't cost $300.
I wanted a Bandai PG Falcon so bad, but could never get the money together.
Please, Round2, make a big Falcon for like $100.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back