ROTJ Vader light saber

Re: ROTJ Vader light saber, NEW PICS!

The knurling below the grips is somewhat raised on some MPP endcaps. How about this one? If there is, then that could also obscure the glue channel somewhat.

I beleive it would.
If you look really good, you can tell the grips do not sit completly flush on the body of the MPP. The grips actually flare up on knurled part of the end cap.

Re: ROTJ Vader light sabre

You know, a better display poster would be the classic ESB vader poster with the troopers and red background...

I took a few minutes to review my Vader ESB pics, and something doesn't add up...

I'm starting to feel the possibility of either interchanged parts between the ESB MPP and Heiland or possibly having more than one ESB MPP hero during shooting. But so far, the most interesting possibility is that the control box bubble strip on this ESB prop may have been taken from the ANH Chronicles saber, itself...

Was it ever proven that the ANH Chronicles and the ANH V2 were two different props...?

I'm in York, PA, a mere hour drive from the museum. Any idea when it will be open to the public? Also, what other kinds of movie memorabilia do they have on display? Would you be willing to PM me the curator's name?

three new, closer pics:

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0181.jpg

Sorry, forgot about the bubble buttons.
I'll get those next time.
:)

I'm in York, PA, a mere hour drive from the museum. Any idea when it will be open to the public? Also, what other kinds of movie memorabilia do they have on display? Would you be willing to PM me the curator's name?

You might be able to catch it this weekend, if you want.
It was open today, from 5:30-10:00pm
There are a few issues with the glass installation, so not open regular hours yet.
Other props include an original StarTrek tricorder from TV show, a Phaser form one of the movies, Hoover board and various props from Back to the Future 2, The face Hugger and tube from Alien..etc..

Thanks for the pics!

If the glass is ever off the saber and a ruler nearby I'd love to know the exact length of the grips. We should be able to make a pretty close guess with the great pics for now.

Amazing discovery and pics. Thanks for sharing. I'll be watching with great interest!

And with these clearer pictures, the wire looks gray, not a dirty white.

Are you referring to the ANH V2 in promo pics but not the movie (ANH)? I have a few pics of it dangling on Vader's belt, one particularly good one in black and white that I posted in closeup a few years back... it wasn't a promo pic but taken right on the set.

And I suppose what suggests two different sabers in ANH would be that there were two different lengths of grips, and silver and black sidebars.

That wire is most definitely grey, rather than white. Grey is a common wire color, as well.

As for the ESB saber that we're discussing here. I do believe it was originally the ANH V2, but the grips were replaced with longer ones and wires were added for ESB. There is very little reference of the ANH V2, but it did have black sidebars and some chips in the emitter shroud like this one. So far this saber is only spotted in ROTJ promo shots and not the movie itself.

Last edited:

Both Vader sabers were used in ANH.
The V2 is most notably seen when Vader enters Leia's cell (as in the still you posted a few years ago - also evident in the movie).
The grip length is the same on the V1 and V2, but the clamp is lower on the V2. V1 has silver straight edged sidebars and the V2 has black (probably angled) sidebars. The levers are also on opposite sides.
It seems like the V2 was probably FIRST since the silver sidebar V1 shows up on the Tantive IV which was filmed late in production (also I believe the Chronicles saber pics are likely post production).

Why there are 2 Vader sabers in ANH is unknown.
There does seem to be a good month period from early June to mid July 1976 when Vader wasn't needed on set. I don't think either saber was really lost. more likely they just grabbed the first saber they found when Vader was back on set in July.

I'm still not sure if the shroud on this ESB saber is the original one or not. Parts may have been interchanged over the production of the 3 movies. I haven't been able to match up enough paint chips on it yet. Odd that it has a diamond knurled thumbscrew - I've never seen an MPP or even a Heiland like that. Maybe it's the same as the one on the Vader Graflex though.

There were at least 3 MPP's used during the production of the original trilogy - The ANH Vader V1, ANH V2, and the ESB Fett blaster barrel (which also may be the source of the MPP clamp on the Barbican).

Are you referring to the ANH V2 in promo pics but not the movie (ANH)? I have a few pics of it dangling on Vader's belt, one particularly good one in black and white that I posted in closeup a few years back... it wasn't a promo pic but taken right on the set.

And I suppose what suggests two different sabers in ANH would be that there were two different lengths of grips, and silver and black sidebars.

For the ANH V2 to become the ESB Hero...
- The lever must have broken off (It was on the same side on both props)
- grips replaced (7 short in ANH replaced with 6 long in ESB)

As Imperious pointed out earlier the bubble strip may have been swapped with the V1 as well from ANH to ESB. In the picture GH poster years ago the ANH V2 has almost 7 bubbles (5 whole, plus top and bottom ones that are cut off). The ANH V1 and the ESB Hero seem to both have 6 (bottom one is cut).
All were 7 bubble strips just cut at different points.

A few pics of the ANH V2 Vader saber...
The lightsaber on Vader's belt while in Leia's cell (this is a publicity still, but it can also be seen watching the movie frame by frame).
vader01.jpg

Vader standing next to Tarkin (should be the V2 because the control box is too low for the V1).
VaderPic1LgBWa.jpg

I believe this was the one Ghost Host posted a few years ago...
ANHvadersaberright.jpg

From the 12 mpp's I have owned through the years I have never seen a knurled thumbscrew variation. I would very much doubt this is the original mpp screw, may have been added when the T track was screwed down.

I beleive it would.
If you look really good, you can tell the grips do not sit completly flush on the body of the MPP. The grips actually flare up on knurled part of the end cap.
I was actually referring to the band of knurling before the bottom. The one that goes lengthwise. I have heard (but not seen myself) that on some endcaps it is more flat, and on some it is more bulbous. (in lack of a better word)

Weird that the saber should have only six T-tracks. Has it always had only six long tracks though all of ESB, or were they repositioned when the screws were added?

Weird that the saber should have only six T-tracks. Has it always had only six long tracks though all of ESB, or were they repositioned when the screws were added?

From what I can tell this saber always had 6 grips in ESB (like the Luke ESB). The Vader Graflex and the ANH sabers had 7.

Yep, that's the pic. I was never convinced that that is the Exactra bubblestrip on the V2, and looking at these new pics, the bubbles don't quite line up, and there appears to be an extra "bubble" on the V2? If the top "bubble" is merely the bubblestrip cut short and we're seeing space between the clamp, it sure looks just like the other bubbles...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back