Limited Run Rose's Resistance Alliance ring - Star Wars The Last Jedi - NOW SHIPPING B!

Re: Rose's Alliance ring - Star Wars The Last Jedi - Functioning prototype inside!

Love it , you really went all out on this, fantastic work, now take my money;)

Re: Rose's Alliance ring - Star Wars The Last Jedi - Functioning prototype inside!

Happy new year!
Love it , you really went all out on this, fantastic work, now take my money;)
Thanks. Quality and progress is important. Stay tuned...

Same to you sir, and I definitely will be.

Did you determine if those dots are actually the ones on the surface of the iris or on an extra layer above them as you've done? Looks a lot better either way. Just seems odd that they would put those in the design of another piece on top when they are already there beneath.

Did you determine if those dots are actually the ones on the surface of the iris or on an extra layer above them as you've done? Looks a lot better either way. Just seems odd that they would put those in the design of another piece on top when they are already there beneath.

This is a stream-of-consciousness brain-dump, so bear with me if it doesn't make sense. There's a lot of questions like this that I have. The dots are spaced the same as the iris we're using and only 5 are shown and only 5 are on the iris. I think they added another layer on top of the iris and glued it down since I can see the seam in the VD photo (which I've incorporated into my model.) However the dot on the right side of the ring, below the lever is in basically the same spot as a dot on the iris, but it is also way larger than the tiny dot/pin on the iris. I don't have an explanation for that.
Also, I don't think the lever arm shown in the photo of the VD is the same lever arm that comes with the iris. I have a hunch it was photo-shopped or cut/ground down shorter or something like that. They're threaded so i can't just grind down the threaded end. Maybe they mixed and matched lever arms; I'm not certain. I don't recall seeing the actual lever on screen, so maybe they left it full length and just hid it, editing the VD photo as they've been known to do. Or maybe something else. I'm not sure what to do about that aside from just grinding down the levers myself.
There's also some interior details of the iris part you can see when you have the iris fully open in real life, but they aren't seen in the black internal area of the VD photo between the logo and the gold. I think they have photoshopped this out, which is another clue to me that the lever is wrong/edited in the VD photo.
It's easy to jump and say "well maybe the iris is different" because this iris that opens with the lip shape instead of center circle is two layer, and I'm not sure that the one we see is two layer because I don't know if you can see the second layer on screen, but it does explain why the logo looks so deep, but on screen as it opens I don't see the second layer which is viewable on the in-hand iris I have. However, there literally is no other option I've found for a different iris that opens this way. I've talked to several factories and did extensive searching. Maybe they mounted the logo in between the two layers, but I don't see how they'd do that without the logo itself spinning. The only other one I've found that opens this way is from Edmunds and has blue leaves instead of black.

So in summary, I do think it's the right iris, but I think something is fishy with the lever.

Regardless, I've been planning on doing this as a brushed gold plated stainless steel metal piece over-top/around/encasing the entire iris, as a single solid metal piece just as shown in all my previous plastic posts. I think this is the right way to make this prop replica for durability and consistent appearance it since we'd be avoiding paint, will all be the same exterior material, and will look most accurate to what's seen in our reference material. I do expect to offer both versions of the iris since the right one is much more expensive and not everyone will want to pay that extra cost, and just want an opening revealing ring.

I've updated the CAD model to reflect the changes to the design on top, thickness of and dimension of the rings on the face, added the seam talked about above at the top of the ring, adjusted the opening for where the lever comes through to allow full swing of the arm, and a couple other minor things:
untitled.7.jpg
ring detgails.jpg

Last edited:

Lol, ok i think that all made sense. I do remember when Rose opens it you at least see the side of the lever shes moving with her finger, but its a straight on view so you dont see much of it.

ahhh! i get what your saying now about the dots :thumbsup

...However the dot on the right side of the ring, below the lever is in basically the same spot as a dot on the iris, but it is also way larger than the tiny dot/pin on the iris. I don't have an explanation for that....

That's an interesting observation about the size difference. My iris is on backorder so I haven't been able to verify, but it seemed to me when reviewing the 3d model from Thorlabs (which lacks the pinhole), that the only purpose of that feature could be that it is a press fit retention pin to hold the back cover of the iris housing in place. The size difference in the hole says to me that the pin was drilled out so that the cover could be removed, in order to remove the rear iris blades.

That's an interesting observation about the size difference. My iris is on backorder so I haven't been able to verify, but it seemed to me when reviewing the 3d model from Thorlabs (which lacks the pinhole), that the only purpose of that feature could be that it is a press fit retention pin to hold the back cover of the iris housing in place. The size difference in the hole says to me that the pin was drilled out so that the cover could be removed, in order to remove the rear iris blades.
Good call! Totes what happened. Check the pic!

They're on back order cuz of all those starwars nerds buying out their stock!
28bda974f590c990a6cc65cb382878e0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm so thrilled at this discovery. It makes everything make sense (except for the lever). I can mount the logo up much closer now, matching what's seen.
88232505641dfbf3bd7ebb22dda4e2cf.gif

I think they must have just cut the lever shorter, or edited it in photoshop

Okay so here's the deal. I've got my numbers together for casting costs so I'm able to finalize the pricing and take orders.

Option A- metal encasement version - gold plated steel
The cast version will be brushed gold plated stainless steel and will have a uniform appearance since it will be all one piece, with the iris encased on the inside of the ring. It will be available in sizes 7-13 sizes assuming I get 5 or more orders for each size. The steel casting process takes some time, plus the fancy irises are backordered, so I won't be able to ship this version until early-March. These will cost $195 including shipping, or $165 if you want a regular zero aperture iris, not the fancy elliptical opening accurate style (It's pretty good, but not perfect.) Shipping is included in the US and $10 outside. It'll look like this, but metal and will have the updated dimensions seen in the photo below:
View attachment 784341View attachment 784342steel one piece.jpg

Option B - also all metal - brass constructed version
This option is more accurate but not as nice as jewelry is concerned because of the construction and material. This ring will be all brass, and brass isn't the nicest material to wear as it usually turns your finger green for most people. I've had yet another breakthrough and discovered that there's brass underneath the black coating of the iris. I'm now certain that what they did for the prop was brushed off the paint, attached a layer on top that looks like this. The bottom part will be solid metal too, brushed cast brass to match. I'll be able to solder these three parts together. If there is a complication with soldering the iris, I'll just use a strong adhesive. These will most likely be ready in February, iris constraint permitting. This style is also going to be the same $195/$165 option as above, but will only come in one/two sizes, mostly for accuracy's sake, but also to keep my variations down. This will be about a size 7 or 8, which is (maybe I'll do both) which is likely what Rose wore.

View attachment 784343View attachment 784344brass brush.jpg

I won't be offering a plastic version at this time.

I need to stress here that when you send me payment, you're pre-ordering a product which I'm then laying out a lot of time, effort, and expense to make happen. Mold making for metal is intense; especially for steel. If you PayPal me funds, I ask that you do it with the intent to not renege; not request refund just because you changed your mind, whatever the reason. I do this to keep my costs low and quality high. So please, treat this as a no flake zone, as @Rylo says. When you're ordering, you're committing.

That being said, if you're certain you'd like to place the order, you may do so now by sending paypal to payments@custom3dstuff.com as Goods&Services. Please indicate the size you'd like when ordering. These are USA ring sizes, no half sizes. I'll update the list of paid orders in the first post and ship them out in order of payment received. If we do not get enough orders to justify a size, I'll contact you to either change sizes, styles, or process the refund at that time.

Thanks,
-Todd

Last edited:
Re: Rose's Resistance Alliance ring - Star Wars The Last Jedi - Now Accepting Orders!

It makes me sad but since my largest finger is a 5 I can't really feel good about keeping my name on the interest list. It would make a hell of a display but I was hoping for something I could also wear. Thanks anyways. :( It is beautiful and I'm happy for everyone that gets one. Damn my tiny hands.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Re: Rose's Resistance Alliance ring - Star Wars The Last Jedi - Now Accepting Orders!

It makes me sad but since my largest finger is a 5 I can't really feel good about keeping my name on the interest list. It would make a hell of a display but I was hoping for something I could also wear. Thanks anyways. :( It is beautiful and I'm happy for everyone that gets one. Damn my tiny hands.

We'll see how things go. If there's enough orders from the other sizes to cover costs for smaller ones, 5 will be before 6 ;)

We'll see how things go. If there's enough orders from the other sizes to cover costs for smaller ones, 5 will be before 6 ;)

Then if that's the case please keep my name on the list. And I'll just stay tuned and hold on to my payment for the time being based on your progress and any word here on the head. Thanks for the heads up.

I am interested in option A at the $195 level. Ring size 9.

I am interested in option A at the $195 level. Ring size 9.
Great! Get the deposit over and I'll get started and add you up to the list :)

Great! Get the deposit over and I'll get started and add you up to the list :)

Is it okay to send the deposit on the 12th? That's payday for me.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back