Rollerball helmet and gloves 1975

falken108

Hey everyone,
Ive been working on a little project.
A complete costume of Jonathan E from Rollerball.
Here are a few pics of the stuff I have made so far.
I have no idea what the correct helmet is.
I have even asked Bob Burns. His helmet is in storage right now, he says if there is any info on it, he will let me know.
What a great guy !
I did research a bunch of helmets and have not been able to find the right kind.
Its not a Bell, I do know that.
The football helmet facegaurd was not easy to find either.
I wasn't about to buy one off of ebay for 70 bucks !
I eventually found a company that sells repros.
The gloves are darn near exact.
I found them on ebay.
The studs I used were very large christmas tree style studs.
I cut off the bottoms and tooled them into a better shape using a metal lathe.
The shin guards are vintage cooper guards that I dyed the leather and trimmed them to look the same as the movie.
I have an orange jersey that a friend is sewing my number on to.
I have yet to find a big steel ball to carry around.
Here are a few pics..........

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

The shirt is on its way.
I should have it before the end of next weekend.
After looking at a bajillion helmets, I'm starting to thing that maybe the correct helmet is some sort of police or riot helmet.
They tend to have a squarer brow line.
Scott

Gloves are very similar if not the same.
I'm not sure of the name of the manufacturer of mine.
I did a search on ebay for vintage motocross gloves.
Picked them up for $26.00, if I recall correctly.

If you can find it. There is an issue of Sports Illustrated, from the time the movie was shot, that talks about the game, the track, and the equipment.

Might be worth looking into.

I seem to remember the research I did way back then said it IS a bell helmet.

Hi Falken,
Thats a fantastic outfit, Rollerball is a huge passion of mine and I too own a replica helmet, Gloves and ball which are always here in my front room display cabinet, My wife even tolerates the nasty looking things there,:lol
I'm not 100% but are you sure your helmet's the right colours?
Its only that instead of BLACK around the rear of the helmet I've mixed a kind of metallic silvery dark green instead as in certain shots that's how it looked to me,
I am knocked out by the complete ensemble of gear, Its something I've been meaning to do for years and totally now am planning doing just that. You have inspired me sir!:)

I know this is ridiculously late but I think the helmet you were looking for was a stadium project 6 the stud patter looks like it fits in to some existing holes +2 more and it has the chin strap popper you can see not being used in the film.
cheerio

Hi,
Thanks for the info about the gloves, I have ordered a set although the film ones had a knitted cuff. The gloves in the film had the normal conical studs used on leather jackets. Bigger stud were used for close ups. That is only my opinion from considerable research. The correct helmet is a Stadium project 9 which has the snap closure.

Hi Scott,
heres a pic of the trousers i bought. After being inspired by your thread i've study the film and these must be the exact trousers used in the film. The pockets are so distinctive. They are Lewis Leathers from the 60's so are of the right period too :)
Untitled-2.jpg

The gloves are a pretty good match because of the ribbed cuff just need some advice on doing the ribs and studs :) By the way there a police security gloves :)
IMG_1873.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back