ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

I ordered the Amazon gloves for a Jyn costume I was creating for a friend, didn't have time to make my own gloves, they were nice quality, a bit dark but good quality. With some breaking in and perhaps a bit of over dying to get more tonal variance they could be good options. We got the medium size as they seem to run a little small. I wear a size 7 glove and my friend is 6.5-7 size glove, they worked on her.

I just made my first costume for someone other than myself, it was for a dear friend and comic shop owner to wear for Free Comic Book Day last weekend and she wanted to be Jyn Erso. I have no training in this but I have been BS-ing my way through making my own costumes for a few years now (a few are up on instructables) so when she asked I figured I would give it a shot. I got the main pieces, shirt, pants and vest done. Then did a quick finish on boots but, they will need to be redone properly. I still have the belt/holster to make, my 3d printed blaster had not come in yet so, I omitted the holster for now. I purchased the Amazon gloves too. It's not perfect, I realized after I made the shirt that the design was off (an inset yoke) and my friend lost about 20 lbs in between starting and finishing so honestly we need a new shirt anyway. :)

Shirt: Robert Kaufman Yarn Dye Chambray Union Indigo
Pants: Black Cotton Twill Spandex (4 way stretch) [pretty sturdy like for Chino pants]
Vest: Started with a pre purchased vest of brown nylon with a combo of down & fiber fill (it was dumb of me to choose this, what a mess)
Boots: (ebay) Style & Co Qwinn Ankle boot in brown
Patterns: pants; Simplicity Pattern 2860 and shirt; (vintage 70's pattern) Butterick Pattern 4625 Semi Fit Roll Sleeve Neck Slit Front Yoke Shirt M
Boot clasps: (ebay) HEAD WORLD CUP SKI BOOT BUCKLE
18275213_10211856061531469_4110979401146683566_n.jpg18342085_10211856060651447_7630301173820431876_n.jpg18198402_10211793798614935_8978961358333316314_n.jpg18222275_10211793798414930_7514808504883360240_n.jpg18193945_10211793798054921_3099632268039840859_n.jpg18193842_10211793797934918_5325066149428109153_n.jpg.

I've been working on my Tonfa, I got the 3D printed kit from Traywick Designs on Etsy since I don't have the skill to make one from complete scratch. It's fairly close (not sure on scale) but it's bothering me that the handle doesn't nestle into the side like the screen used prop. (This one on display looks cast since I see a seam, I still wonder if they built a working one or bought it somewhere...)
jyn011.jpg tonfa001.jpg

So I'm attempting to alter it to make a shorter clip and make a divot in the side for the handle to lay in.

tonfa002.jpg

I'm dremelling out the divot by taking out 4 rows of bumps. I put some worbla in the inside since this will need to go deeper than the thickness of the walls. I'll probably have to notch in the top clip ring insert and the middle clip insert, too. Hopefully I don't completely ruin it ;)

Jyn's Gloves

I hope people who can make use of the information see it in time.

backcountry.com is offering 25% off the Black Diamond Stone Climbing Gloves which are the screen accurate version, after modifications, for Jyn's outfits. This is stated as a limited time offer.

Last edited:
Here is a 3D model I did for the baton. I used the Hot Toys baton as a starting point, then used reference material from various sources to get the look correct. I wasn't too happy with the existing batons out there so I made my own.

01.JPG

hey all.

so i found these...instead of having to dissemble and find any ebay purchases. might come in handy for Jyn's pants. there is webbing that can be purchased on this site as well, but the herringbone pattern they provide is a bit different.

https://www.ahh.biz/hardware/military/ladder-cinch-locks/locks_ladder_25mm_steel_milspec.php

and the "webbing" straps on the pants i found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014TN6PH0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it is a lot thinner than webbing, lighter weight, but has worked really well. the threading is herringbone pattern. FYI you get a pretty big roll of it. the 1" fits the above 1" ladder locks perfectly.

hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still debating on the fabric for the vest back. Opinions? Here are my choices: (with flash and without)

IMG_3382.JPG......... IMG_3385.JPG

The center fabric is my nylon for the front.

Left side top is a very fine cotton twill, left side bottom is a coarser cotton twill (it has the best texture but I'd have to lighten it somehow)

Right side is two different cotton broadcloths, both fairly thin.

Still debating on the fabric for the vest back. Opinions? Here are my choices: (with flash and without)

View attachment 731054......... View attachment 731055

The center fabric is my nylon for the front.

Left side top is a very fine cotton twill, left side bottom is a coarser cotton twill (it has the best texture but I'd have to lighten it somehow)

Right side is two different cotton broadcloths, both fairly thin.

Hey! You might have already chosen which fabrics to use, but I think the top left cotton twill color is the most similar in terms of color to the nylon. The left bottom twill has a lovely weave, though, and I wonder if you can try lightening it using Jacquard color remover. I think that fabric is probably your best out of the four, but honestly, I wish I'd tried my hand at dyeing the fabrics now that I know how to do it! It's really not very difficult to get nylon and cotton the same color. The front and back of my vest are slightly off in color too, but luckily weathering the fabric evens it out a bit.

Hello! Another Eadu goggles post!

I found these at an NYC thrift shop. They are a little bit flimsy, but they look very, very similar to the Cebes (with the squared frames at the bottom). They're TexSport Item No. E-103 Ski Goggles and were made in Taiwan for a Houston company.

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (6).jpgunnamed.jpg

PS: It looks like there's a new pair of Quatras just put up on eBay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Qua...756713?hash=item2127dda069:g:-98AAOSw1WJZMc0e

Edit: Well, those went fast. Hopefully to somebody on RPF! I'll post more if I find 'em.

Last edited:
Actually I found the Cebe 15 goggles to be very flimsy as well. To stiffen them I removed the old and slightly deteriorated foam and used it as a pattern to make a new leather pad. The color is similar to the old yellowed foam and has a much more robust feel, more like a real military item.

Great find! Yeah, all of these goggles were the same, made from the same material probably out of the same molds. If you need the leather tabs for the elastic strap let me know. I made up several sets.
IMG_5053.JPG

Hey! You might have already chosen which fabrics to use, but I think the top left cotton twill color is the most similar in terms of color to the nylon. The left bottom twill has a lovely weave, though, and I wonder if you can try lightening it using Jacquard color remover. I think that fabric is probably your best out of the four, but honestly, I wish I'd tried my hand at dyeing the fabrics now that I know how to do it! It's really not very difficult to get nylon and cotton the same color. The front and back of my vest are slightly off in color too, but luckily weathering the fabric evens it out a bit.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've tried to fade that bottom twill, but nothing worked, and I've been putting off trying the Rit Color Remover that I have, because it smells awful (but works, I used it on my jacket when I over-dyed it.) I have the weekend off, I may play around with it once I finish the gloves. Either that, or I think I got it at Joann's, maybe they have it in white.

I finally gave up on my black boots (the more I messed with them, the worse they hurt my feet) and found a pair of cheap (ish) Veronica Combat boots in Cognac to start over...they are so gorgeous I think I need a second pair to keep as is! And they're extremely comfortable, too.

Great find! Yeah, all of these goggles were the same, made from the same material probably out of the same molds. If you need the leather tabs for the elastic strap let me know. I made up several sets.
View attachment 733432

OMG that would be amazing, thank you! (Especially since I don't buy new leather, I can totally justify this!) Just PM'ed you.

Also, can I ask what you replaced the straps with? Sorry to be so needy!

I've been doing some research for Eadu and have a HUGE compilation of photos. I'm trying to figure out what the bag looks like that sits on her left hip, and there appears to be a bunch of inconsistencies in figures/photos we've got. It'd be really nice if somebody took detailed shots of the bag from displayed costumes, but I can't find any.

eadu6.jpgEadu13.jpgeadu21.jpgeadu39.jpgeadubag.jpgeadutonfa.jpg

Most of these look like a rolled bag with straps to keep it together from which gas tanks project out from, but then others look like normal gas hanger bags. There's also this two-toned look on the deluxe Jyns and the brown/super strappy version on the Black Series (?) figures. Finally, I'm not sure what sort of straps are attaching the bag to the bandolier, which appears to attach inside of the concho under the left arm, but I think the hooks are WWII dagger hanger hooks.

Also I count SIX of these WWII dagger hangers on this costume - two used to hang the mask around the neck, two for decoration on the bandolier, and two holding the side bag. These things are ridiculously expensive, if we're going for screen-accuracy... :\

Try looking for post-war German and East German bread bags and packs, as well as Czech, Austrian and Italian surplus gear. They usually have the same hardware or practically identical hardware to the WW2 stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

In other news: I got these goggles today and strangely they are undersized. They're slightly smaller than my other goggles, like maybe for a woman or child. I might keep them and fix them up for my daughter. Not sure yet.
They'd be perfect for an Eadu costume if you painted the lenses.
s-l500.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back