RoG announces new X-Wing kit!

Dirtied her up a bit...

Attachments

• 1465167_10200982643550679_236806188_n.jpg
    1465167_10200982643550679_236806188_n.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 535
I can't find this anywhere to purchase online. All I can find on ebay or amazon is 1/56 scale or smaller. I know this won't be available in the US until next year, but I figured I could find it online somewhere. Anyone???

Hi all - first post here, found this thread while googling around for X-Wing models so I can more accurately build a semi-scale, flying X-Wing.
I already have one of the smaller Revell models but in the interest of accuracy (and just to have a larger plastic model to display) just ordered the 1:29 scale kit from Amazon UK. Looking forward to hitting it with the ol calipers :)

Up to now I've been using this drawing to roughly plan the parts and structure: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/sciencefiction/star-wars-rebel/x-wing.GIF

If anyone is interested, the RC version will have a wingspan of ~1.5m, flying weight of ~4kg and be powered by four 64mm electric ducted fan units. I've calculated that in order to get the wing cube oading down to a reasonable number she'll need to have her 'wings' enlarged by ~20% in relation to the fuse, which after photoshopping doesn't totally ruin the overall effect.
I've already got the motors, fans, ESCs, servos, landing gear (retractable), wings (2 sets of carbon fiber reinforced foam wings from a Hobbyzone Apprentice, to be modified to look more like a real X-Wing's) carbon fiber and other bits and am now finalizing dimensions before I start cutting and gluing.
I appreciate the photos and info posted about the Revell model, which will help to check RC version's accuracy.
Here's a video of the "proof of concept", a smaller not-so-scale version with a single pusher-prop I made last year and continue to fly. The 'X' wings give her interesting and excellent flight characteristics! The bigger, much more visually accurate one with four fans screaming as she streaks around the skies will be a sight to behold....
tally ho!
Kurt

RC Star Wars X-Wing, Stinger EDF, and JPower P-38 at Richard Bong RC Field WI [HD] - YouTube

Wow! That flying RC model handles way better than I ever assumed an X-Wing could! Frankly, I never thought the shape could actually fly!

Well done!

--Alex

Thanks! The video was taken on it's 5th or 6th flight when I was still fine tuning it's center of gravity, so was flying rather fast and getting the hang of it's handling. Now after ~30 flights I'm much smoother, able to slow her way down and can do some neat moves like tail slides, cuban 8s, high AOA etc. Do you think the bigger, ducted fan X-Wing is worthy of it's own build thread here? I plan on documenting the build and flight testing anyway so would be happy to post pics and details here. cheers Kurt

Very cool. Nice to see there is a possibility for atmospheric flight with an X-wing
Absolutely, the two sets of wings make it a sort of bi-plane. Some concessions to gravity do need to be made (unfortunately). The wings must have some kind of airfoil unlike the thin, flat ones on the X-Wing, and with my building skills at least the rear landing gear has to be modified and located in the center fuse since there's no room in the lower "rocket" pods. Waiting for the Revell model and a few more parts to arrive then the real building can begin...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back