RoG announces new X-Wing kit!

Also, don't you suppose RoG just simply upscaled the earlier releases in the computer to produce this kit? At least the basis for this kit? Looks jut like the smaller ones, only bigger. Or maybe I'm not paying close enough attention...
The most obvious differences, other than the fuselage being made up of more than two pieces, are:
The original Revell 1:57 X-Wing has painted lines instead of separate heatsinks on the guns.
The wings don't have separate inserts for the inside and there is a big gap next to the engines that has to be covered over.
Some of the droidstrip details are flipped and there is a waffle patterned detail that shouldn't be there.
R2 is one piece and made from some kind of soft vinyl material like the pilot.
Since the kit seems a bit better than a lot assumed it to be when we look at the few comments from owners in this thread, wouldn't it be awesome if we could find a 3D modeler able to supply us with 3D printed parts in order to correct a few inaccuracies of the kit ? Is anyone here interested in this project or am I the only one ? Could we make this thing take off ?
I'm a 3D modeler, but I probably won't be buying this kit until the price comes down. It could be tricky to make new parts without the originals, but I'm willing to give it a shot if someone can provide measurements.

Well I guess we just have to resign ourselves to the fact that we will never see a detailed glue together SW model. I mean other than the tiny kits from FM. Oh well, there's always resin....

Actually, forget that. Just contact these guys: - Model Forces
They should be able to re-scale their upgrades to fit this kit.

Actually I know those guys and I sent them an email three weeks ago, still no reply to this date. Considering they announced their X-Wing detail kit for the FM kits more than one year ago and we still have no update about it ever since, I guess they're busy with real life matters and the project could never see the light of the day.

OK guys, here's an updated shot of most of the available kits:

Comp021.jpg

From the left:
--Revell "Pocket"
--FM 1:72
--ERTL smallest
--Revell mid
--ERTL "standard" or "classic"
--ERTL Pro-Shop
--Revell new 1:30
--Hasbro toy
--Icons
--Salzo
--Maxi-Brute

Missing:
--FM 1:48
--Rodmart
--Kotobukia or whatever

Actually I know those guys and I sent them an email three weeks ago, still no reply to this date. Considering they announced their X-Wing detail kit for the FM kits more than one year ago and we still have no update about it ever since, I guess they're busy with real life matters and the project could never see the light of the day.
On their Facebook page a recent update says the 3D printer has had problems with the high resolution of the models.
If only they could use the Viper printer that's making the Kingdom Death miniatures https://www.facebook.com/kingdomdeathgame . That thing is incredible: http://www.3dsystems.com/products/datafiles/viper/datasheets/International/viper_si2_uk.qxd.pdf

On their Facebook page a recent update says the 3D printer has had problems with the high resolution of the models.
If only they could use the Viper printer that's making the Kingdom Death miniatures https://www.facebook.com/kingdomdeathgame . That thing is incredible: http://www.3dsystems.com/products/datafiles/viper/datasheets/International/viper_si2_uk.qxd.pdf

Wow the Viper printer is delivering some hyper detailed prints, it looks almost like a sculpt. Is there any other company using it and offering 3D print services ? Concerning Model Forces, their most recent update is from January of this year, considering the website has not been updated ever since, it looks like it's on hold until further notice.

Wow the Viper printer is delivering some hyper detailed prints, it looks almost like a sculpt. Is there any other company using it and offering 3D print services ? Concerning Model Forces, their most recent update is from January of this year, considering the website has not been updated ever since, it looks like it's on hold until further notice.
I don't know any more about the viper. I only know about the game because one of the artists is on DeviantArt.

The big issue with new parts for this kit is going to be how much relief can be put into the new back plate without cutting into the snap-fit pins on the hull. The kit part looks really flat. The pins may need to be cut in half or removed altogether. The droid-strip should be comparatively easy to replace.

Are 3D printed parts even needed? At almost studio scale there must be a few kit parts that could be substituted to good effect, and scratch-building new parts is going to be a lot less fiddly. I think a 1:100 Sherman hull might fit the backplate.

No thats the thing , it doesnt have that "feel" to it. Ive burned myself out on it and its now on ebay. Ive decided to go 1/72 instead! It was a good project though.

It looks like ILM circa 1976 in my kitchen….Needless to say the kit comes together FAST. It's well engineered and although I had glue at the ready, I never needed to use it, all the snap tight parts snapped tight. Very little gaps or seams at all. Nice little detail elements like the torpedoes and sensor array in the nose cone. My plan is to whip this together, as seen, and then spend some time working on weathering detail. Fun model for the novice/intermediate builder, about the same size as my Hasbro.

Attachments

• IMG_1665.JPG
    IMG_1665.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1666.JPG
    IMG_1666.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1670.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 365
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
It looks OK doesnt it. To be fair , if you didnt know too much about the original studio models , you would think it great. Ive got renewed enthusiasm in mine now and im planning on finishing it off today.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back