Robocop Gun

franz bolo

Sr Member
I saw the ROBOCOP gun in the JY which has been sold and thought it was cool.

Any pics of the original? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

FB

Thanks Howard, Do you have any pics of yours?

Are there any photos of the real gun used in the movie?

I heard Richard Coyle made one. Any info on that?

Also, I was told that MGC had the best replica ever. I can't find any reference or images of this.

Thanks

FB

Originally posted by franz bolo@Nov 23 2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks Howard, Do you have any pics of yours?

Are there any photos of the real gun used in the movie?

I heard Richard Coyle made one. Any info on that?

Also, I was told that MGC had the best replica ever. I can't find any reference or  images of this.

Thanks

FB
[snapback]1121368[/snapback]​

Here's a photo of my Coyle version. It has the usual Coyle light and sound functions. The "Outland" items have nothing to do with the gun, it's all part of a display board where the gun is mounted.

CoyleRobocopLR.jpg

Here's a photo of what the Robocop gun was based on, a Beretta M93R.

Beretta93R_LR.jpg

I had both the KSC and MGC version.

MGC is mostly metal and is much heavier, gas operated but it only shoots single shot, and has no blow back feature.

KSC has metal and plastic parts, lighter, gas operated and shoots both single and 3 shot burst, plus it's a blowback.

Coyle is a static display, with lights when you pull the trigger.

The best is still KSC

Originally posted by franz bolo@Nov 23 2005, 11:09 AM
:eek

Wow, sweet stuff.

Does anyone know the differences between the KSC MGC and the Coyle one?

Thanks

FB
[snapback]1121462[/snapback]​

IMHO the Coyle is probably the one that most closely resembles the real movie gun, but is static (just light and sound). Coyle's reputation about attention to detail and accuracy is exemplified.

The airsoft ones function to varying levels so they are more fun to play with. My personal choice would be the MGC since it is heavy and made with lots of metal, so it has the look and feel of a real gun, plus it is rare. From an airsoft point of view, the KSC seems very popular but that might be because it is more available than the MGC and therefore, perhaps, also cheaper. It also has burst capability like the real 93R based Robocop Auto 9.

For a good display version, I'd recommend the Coyle (Coyle stuff also holds value) and maybe weather it a little bit, but for 99% of the world there is little or no difference. THEY ALL LOOK COOL. :)

Hard to assess which version is "best" since it depends upon what you want... film prop accuracy, weight and feel of real steel, functioning and performance as an airsoft gun, price, ready availability, exclusivity, creator/builder name recognition/reputation, prop collector value, etc. What would be interesting is the whereabouts of the real movie gun, who built it, etc.

Any pics of the original? Any info would be appreciated.

Hi guys,
Here are a few shots of the original screen-used Robocop pistol.
The photo at the bottom shows the propmaker/gunsmith who made it.
Ed

THANKS WC...

WOW. Great pics ed..

Do you know this guy?

Any info on the gunsmith would be appreciated.

I wonder what the handle extension is made of. There;s no pics of that before it was put on the gun.

FB

Hi Franz,
Nope, don't know him. I was in touch for awhile with a writer for the various gun magazines and he did an article on the ROBOCOP movie.
He was nice enough to send me these photos.
I'll see if I can find the original article.....now, where did I put that???
Ed

Sorry for my lateness in responding.

I have not done this model for many years; a Springer air soft came out in the early 90s and was selling for under $100.00 making my light only model a very poor value at even $100.00.

And the blow back models were soon selling for around $150.00.

I was looking for a photo of my copy, and am glad someone found some.

Mine (sorry to perhaps to lower anyoneÂ’s view of me) was a copy made from an early non-blow back gas MGC model.

We did these when the imported models were selling for around $400.00 at the cons.

At that time a fair deal.

Rich

ed - any chance of you having a copy of the article? I'd like to read it. :) Thanks for the pics.

Noeland-------------

Hi Guys,
Yes, I found the article. I sent it and the photos to two members that wrote me.
Someone (I forget who) did send me an incorrect email address and the emails bounced back.
If anyone wants a copy of the article (TOO big to post here) just write me with your email address at thefudds@aol.com and I'll email you the 4 pages from the article.
Ed-209

I just got off the phone with no other than Randy Moore. He's the originator and liscense holder of the "Robo Pistol" and was also the Weapons Master for the first 2 Robocop movies.

It was so great to talk to the maker of that gun. He said it was never called an "Auto9". He said that name came from a comic book put out after the movie. He called it the "Robo Pistol".

Other things he mentioned was that there were a 3 and 7 round burst and a fully auto version of the gun made.

The clip held 21 rounds and with the 7 round burst you could get 3 trigger pulls before reloading. He also said that he disabled the slide lock so the pistol wouldn't stay opened after it was empty.

The grips were made out of Delrin and the rest of the parts were anodized aluminum. He also mentioned that he might be able to make a hard rubber cast of the gun from the original molds. :D :D They used those for stunts that didn't require shooting.

He said that he made the "Flash Enhancer" at the front of the pistol make a Bow Tie effect as the pistol was fired.

Anyway, I'm real excited about my conversation and thought I'd share it with you guys and gals...

FB

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back