Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics

Laspector

Master Member
Anybody watching this? I have just been recording them and I just got caught up on the first three episodes. At first I really wasn't that interested because there have been so many documentaries on comics in the last several years I figured there wasn't too much else that hasn't already been rehashed to death, but I have been pleasantly surprised so far. It's actually a well made show.

Episode 1: Was all Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and the history of Marvel comics. Yeah, most of that one I already knew, but there were a few tidbits I did not know, mostly some of the Jack Kirby story. Most of you probably know all this one so I'm not going to go into it. I'll just say I really enjoyed it.

Episode 2: This was all about the origins of Wonder Woman. This one I was totally unaware of. I liked learning the saucy story behind it, but I thought the episode had way too much of a PC slant to it. So, the guy who invented WW was a forerunner of feminism (okay, I have no problem with that). The dude has a wife AND a mistress. They all live together and are all into Bondage and S&M, specifically him being the Sub and the two women being the Doms. Again, I don't have a problem with that either, whatever consenting adults do behind closed doors is their business. Together the three of them create WW. The guy fathers children with both women and they lie to the mistress's children about who their father is for most of their life. That I don't agree with, but the real kicker here (to me anyways) is that the show has all these female celebrities praising these people as great feminists, innovators, free thinkers, supporters of unconditional love and all that jazz. If this guy had invented some nitty gritty male superhero like The Punisher, Spawn, Wolverine, or anything other than a front runner female superhero, I bet these women would be CRUCIFYING this guy as a sexist, chauvinistic, bigamist. If, in the relationship, he had been the Dom and the two women the Subs, this story would have been buried underneath today's political correctness.....Anyway, that's the gist I got out of it....Still, it was a good story to learn about.

Episode 3: All about the creators of Superman-- Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster and how they got screwed out of the ownership of Superman. A lot of this I did not know about. They really got a raw deal for decades. The episode also went into the story of how Neal Adams led the crusade to get them back some money, but most importantly their byline "Superman created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster" which they had lost up until the 1978 Christopher Reeve movie. That kind of pulled on my heart strings a bit. Good episode.

I haven't watched Episode 4 yet, which is supposed to be about the effect of 9/11 on comics. I'll probably catch up on that one later this weekend.

If you haven't seen the show and you are a fan of comics, you should check it out.

There was one the History Channel did years ago (when it actually made these kinds of programs) that was pretty in-depth and covered all of comic history, not just the superhero stuff. From it's origins as comic strips, where they came from, and how they eventually came into "book" form and attracted decent writers to make long-form, single narratives within all the genres of the form. When it gets to the superhero stuff, they talk about the early immigrants who became their creators and the ideas they brought, and ultimately, defined the modern superhero. It also goes through the crusade of the Comics Code, the bubble-burst of the 90's, and the effects of 9/11 on both the stories in the medium and their film interpretations. I can't recall the name of the program but I was quite impressed with the research went into it.

I caught some of an episode of the History of Comics (and I think it was the WW episode) and it wasn't anything that impressed me. I thought it was bit too self-aggrandizing and, as you pointed out, mired in PC politics. Really put me off. The other episodes may not be like that, but I'm not all that interested now.

Although I'm not a comics guy, I've been enjoying this show. I knew a little about each of the subjects covered to date (my brother is a huge comics geek), but these shows have filled in a lot of blanks. And the writers aren't pulling many punches. Nicely done.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back