River Song's sonic - toy mod

JesperW

Hello, The RPF,

As with my two previous posts, the Paper TARDIS and River Song's alpha meson blaster, I'm up to yet another one that involves my whovian daughter.
X-mas is coming up, and what better present - I thought - for a Who fan than a couple of props?

For example, the journal/sonic combo The Doctor leaves in the library, just before... well, you know. Anyway, that's what I'm making.
This is going to be the short part of it, and then I'll get back later with the diary build in a seperate thread.

Taking off at a slow pace I've secured a couple of fairly cheap (just over 10 GBP) "River Song's Future Sonic Screwdriver" toys from Amazon - nothing fancy because the plan was always to mod it myself:

riversongsonic-01.jpg

I got two, to either have a backup if I screw up, or to have another one that maybe we can mod together or something.

Then I got to work. It comes "weathered" but rather clumsily so - obviously, for 10 quid. Fortunately the gold color turned out to match a gold marker I have, so I could blotch out the clumsy factory weathering, and also dab on some mottling in the gold finish; it's very even and plastic-y but a bit of splotching does wonders.
I also have a silver marker which I used to further mottle/give variation to the metal finish.

The black bottom part also looked too smooth and plastic-y so I took some fine-grit sandpaper to it, and then a scouring pad. Makes it look more like it's blued metal, or even has some sort of rubber coating.

Finally - for now at least - I took some acrylic washes to it, mainly greenish-brown with a little blue - grimed it up good, wiped, brushed, repeat. Here's what it looks like now:
riversongsonic-03.jpg

And here they are side by side - unmodded on the right:
riversongsonic-02.jpg

That's it - come back later for the diary...

:)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back