Rick's Laser Gun - Rick and Morty (3d Printed)

Dainbramage546

Hello! It's been a while since I've posted a build thread here and I'm overdue for one!

After binging all of Rick and Morty last weekend, we decided to build a replica of Rick's laser gun. Naturally we planned on doing so with a 3d printer and some good ol' fashioned painting and sanding, with some LEDs mixed in.

For starters, here's a reference photo from the show:
mLBmZU7L.png
mLBmZU7l.png

Next up, Nick worked his magic in Autodesk Inventor, creating the model from scratch.

Zqm0P9Bl.jpg

Now that we have our shiny new model, it's time to start up Mr. Prints!

Rk5Gw7ym.jpg
sOguSKim.jpg

sqW63uvm.jpg
5otItkKm.jpg

In total it was around 30 hours of print time, using up half a spool of filament.

Dxxla2Nl.jpg

The back is removable and will house a 9 volt battery to power the LED that resides inside of the clear/green casing. The body and rear box have channels running through them that allow for the routing of wires from the LED to the internal battery. I have several parts on order that should arrive tomorrow from Amazon!

bftAfdcl.jpg

Fj0K4HQl.jpg

Now that we have all of the parts test fit and "assembled", it's time to do some sanding, filling, priming, and repeating until she's ready for top coating. I'm hoping to get most of it ready to go this weekend. I need to pick up some bluish gray paint that resembles the reference photos. After that it will get a coat of weathering and then LED wiring.

When the build is complete the files will be available on our MyMiniFactory page for free!

My Amazon package arrived today with resistors, 10mm RBG LEDs and 9volt harnesses. Put those together with a little bit of solder, heat shrink and wiring, and you get this!

The laser pistol was designer with channels routed out to allow for easy wiring. The battery is self contained in the main body.

BvFqHyQl.jpg

uEi38Mhl.jpg

Time for sanding and paint! Stay tuned.

I've never watched this show, but this is amazing. I love that you hid the power source in the handle like this. Great work.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back