Revenge of the Sith Climactic Lightsaber Duel - 5 Years Later

For me, I would have gotten a lot more out of it if Anakin's saber had been red - their both using blue sabers kind of confused the action somewhat.

Channel flipping, I caught this on TV with my 5-yr old. I was explaining how Anakin was becoming bad and he says, 'but his lightsaber isn't red!' :lol

Still don't like it though,for me lightsaber fights wasn't about the fight itself.

And whats with those jedis with their lightsabers :confused

YouTube - The Final Battle - Darth Vader VS. Obi-Wan - Episode III

Here's the fight without the cutaways. GL Started that crap in ROTJ, and I've always hated it. the ROTS Fight is better as one piece. BTW, just WTF would it take to make you wags happy? You have a Sith and a Jedi in their prime going at it, not an under trained boy and a cripple, if you want it OT style, then run it at 1/2 speed.

It would have been better it Anakin's saber were red, and still lit when Obi picked it up, and watch it slowly turn white just before he deactivated it.

They're not "mood sabers." They don't change color. It's just based on how they are built and what kind of crystals were used to make them.

My Fav Lightsaber fight is probably in ROTJ. SOOOOO much emotion and raw anger in it. It's realistically sloppy and I can feel the tension in it.

Word. The overly fancy and choreagraphed swordplay of the PT makes it lose some of the realism to me. Obiwan vs Maul was awesome though.

Then why do bad people use red? Union rules? Why not use blue to fool people? "He can't be bad. His lightsaber isn't red!".

BTW, just WTF would it take to make you wags happy? You have a Sith and a Jedi in their prime going at it, not an under trained boy and a cripple, if you want it OT style, then run it at 1/2 speed

My problem is the lack of true emotion. Their moves are too "perfect". Anakin is supposed to be filled with rage, he should be swinging like a suicidal mad man. I agree that Obi should be more composed but even then he's defending himself from a suicidal mad man who has greater power than he does. I never see desperation in him and I never see true hatred in Anakin until he's missing all of his limbs.

I do agree that the cutaways really hurt the fight though but not as much as the anti-climactic "high ground" finish.

Emotional payoff terms- it was the best in the PT. As a fight it went on too long, and its desire to impress merely led to its becoming visually preposterous - like so much of the PT.

Last edited:
To me the prequel duels just make the ESB & ROTJ look slow and make Luke look like a crummy Jedi.

Another thing is the old slow Yoda turned bouncing spider monkey idea. If he was able to channel the force to that extent at his old age, why not Ben in ANH?

After all of the other duels in the series the ANH duel is a bit less exciting than walker races at your local old folks home.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would actually love to see Lucas re-do the ANH duel with incredible prequel style acrobatics. It could be really cool just as a bonus feature, perhaps not edited into the feature film. Imagine all the flips and twirls and slashing of stormtroopers, force throwing Mouse Droids, etc... I say this as an Original version purist, who is simply curious, and feels that the Special Editions are ruined already anyway.

Best fighting was in Empire Strikes Back.
In the carbon freezing chamber -the way Vader draws Luke in by stepping backwards, then blocks the first few blows with one hand... Classic Vader.
It looked clumsy, and had several missed shots. Very convincing though.

Best fighting was in Empire Strikes Back.
In the carbon freezing chamber -the way Vader draws Luke in by stepping backwards, then blocks the first few blows with one hand... Classic Vader.
It looked clumsy, and had several missed shots. Very convincing though.

Yes, that's another thing... Aside from Maul and Yoda, it felt like everyone fought the same way. There was no variation in their fighting styles.

In the OT, you could see Obi-Wan was more refined, Vader was more confident, Luke in ESB was scared and sloppy, while Luke in ROTJ was confident and sloppy (lol).

But in the prequels, everyone aside from the aforementioned two characters fought the same way. I would have liked to see Anakin be more wild in his dueling due to his growing hatred, Mace more forceful with his blade, and Sidious duel one handed because HIS HILT WAS MADE TO BE HELD WITH ONE HAND. So Ian Mcdiarmid had trouble holding it with both hands... do your job, fight choreographer, and train him to learn...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would actually love to see Lucas re-do the ANH duel with incredible prequel style acrobatics. It could be really cool just as a bonus feature, perhaps not edited into the feature film. Imagine all the flips and twirls and slashing of stormtroopers, force throwing Mouse Droids, etc... I say this as an Original version purist, who is simply curious, and feels that the Special Editions are ruined already anyway.

*Insert image of me gouging my eyes out in disgust*

I recall seeing a video of a fan trooping in a Vader costume, twirling his MR lightsaber around like he was Anakin. I hate to say this, but it looked out of character and a bit ridiculous (from a character perspective, that is). I understand how the chest armor can be cumbersome for the actor to raise his arms above his head, and that in ESB the chest armor was taken in at the sides to allow stuntman Bob Anderson some greater mobility.

My personal favorite lightsaber scene was ESB. Given the limited movement, I think more was achieved from a dramatic standpoint than in ROTS. I think that it's not the ballet of movement that wows the audience but how effectively the characters and their emotions are conveyed.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back