Revell SnapTite Max Falcon - TFA

I was referring to the AS-20 (insignia white) the AS code is the enamel line of spray can colors from tamiya.

- - - Updated - - -

Stuff is really tough, already has come in handy with cleaning up some red panel overspray! Just put a little thinner on a rag and it wipes right off without damaging the base color, super easy to fix stuff and let's you loosen up a bit since you don't have to worry so much about messing up, if you don't like it just wipe it off and start over!

Looks nice -- I'll definitely consider it! I did order the cockpit cone on January 26th, but it hasn't gone into production yet. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. I'll post some pictures of mine -- I'm actually doing the earlier release of the kit, depicting the ANH version (without the additional landing gear boxes). By the way: the paint on most of the Revell prepaint kits can be stripped with 91% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore. The paint seems to be similar to Tamiya or Gunze Sangyo. Works on the X-wing and the First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter. There's nice detail underneath the thick paint!

Ah good to know, yeah i just primed right over it haha there were some cakey part though that I had to sand down I remember. I'm Eyeballing that new 17" 1/30 something scale X wing that its out now! looks like it could be pretty cool.

I didn't know there was an earlier different release for it, cool! would love to see yours! I really like ANH falcon too, and have considered doing a second Deago Build and modd'n it accordingly. ( although be nice to have a full 5' version I could source the same kit parts for, hmmm I'm sure my wife would understand!

I really like the large Original Trilogy X-Wing. The alcohol will take most of the paint off. Alcohol WON'T work on the new smaller Millennium Falcon with lights and sound. That appears to be lacquer on ABS.

For what it's worth, I spoke to Ian Hunter, who won an Oscar last year for his shop's work on Interstellar; he's friends with a lot of the guys who built the ships for Star wars back in the '70s [R.I.P. Grant McCune :( ]. Ian told me that they built the X-Wings and TIE fighters in consistent 1/18 scale, as opposed to the _1/24 scale_ claim that pops up here on the ol' "interwebs." My point, finally, is this: my math, based on that info, plus the fact that 1/48 F-4 Phantom afterburner cans fit perfectly on the X-Wing engines to replace the kit parts (they used 1/32 F-4 cans on the studio models), yields a scale of 1/27 for the large Revell X-Wing kit. I'm aware that people may argue with this, but whatever. And: the cockpit cone is finally in production at Shapeways!

Thanks again for sharing your project, KT! Just goes to show what can be done...

Oddly, I've since dug up the earlier release of this kit (which is the first version of the 5 footer - sort of - with just the three landing gear) that I'd snapped together for number two son. He's moved out now to his own place (19 years old) and left it behind - lucky me! I see it already had the 'toe-in' on the mandibles as you said, plus I also can see (now that I've spent hours looking at the beastie) lots of details that harken to the 5-footer version. The main impression is that it was detailed with some good information applied with a broad and sloppy brush with regard to fidelity to the original. It is unmistakably a Falcon, though. It will be fun to play with!

Regards, Robert

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back