Revell At-At WIP... finishing up!

Waiting to go into work and sitting here looking at these posts studying the cheek guns. The center and left walkers definitely have the same cheek guns. Looks like the barrel on the left cheek (our right) of the center walker is perhaps broken, it looks skewed off center. The right walker it's hard to see but has the armour plates on the cheek guns in the same location so would suggest it's the same as the other two.

Which brings me back to the resin walker with its cheek guns with the spotlight. Executive gifts at the time and not used in filming so presumably cast after filming. I can only guess they were a prototype cheek gun or some such and the other variations are repairs or replacements.

We saw the cheek gun part off the big walker auctioned off and was stated its not on its original legs either so it goes to show these things are not in their initial form.

Anyway, point is I suppose if building an ESB replica walker seems should only be the one style cheek gun and not be confused by the variations. Now just finalising on those details of those cheek guns as clear references are difficult.

Cheers,
Josh
I was pretty sure the cheek guns were all the same on the 3 stop motion ones

I saw somewhere that supposedly 5 static walkers were made.

presumably those with the different cheek guns like the one we saw in the Modeler, Miniature & Magic site were these "static" resin cast ones

ah...found it

This static AT-AT model is one of five made by ILM from the original molds before the film was release in theaters.
Four AT-AT models were offered to film crew members, as the fifth one was won by a member of the Original Star Wars Fan Club

That ones does have the different cheek gun with the spotlight looking thing

Whether this mimics an AT-AT used in filming or is unique to this model, I do not know
SWFanClubWinnerStaticAt-AtCastFromILMmolds.PNG

Last edited:
Is it just me or is that cannon on the right hand side ( our left) turned around? The horizontal slot looks like its on an angle.
I suspect your right at that being the larger walker, the detail on the smaller ones does continue to surprise however.

Cheers,
Josh
Not turned. Just the motion blur of the image. If you view the image and arrow back one shot you see the barrel tip slot is horizontal.

I'm over a week behind in updating anything here. I put some things together and have sat on it for the last week looking at it and just trying to drink it in.

I did some work to the leg file, I moved the position of the key hole on the leg limiter moving the hole up slighlty as I felt it needed and Hagoths diagram showed just this. There is plenty of travel, however the limiter seemingly limits complete travel of the cam... not that the leg has any reason at all to articulate that far. I'm not saying this couldn't have some more tweaking but it is very close and should be more than good enough for an upgrade to this model.
I will spend some time and do a basic assembly tutorial if anyone is interested.

atat leg share.jpg

Next while I forgot to take specific photos on the model :rolleyes: I made the inner armour pieces. They had some further clean up after these pics and were glued in place.
YFYxrHs.jpg

I started work on the base board. Using woodland scenics snow. I covered the board in toilet paper and glued with a 50/50 water PVA mix with a drop of detergent then added the snow. This was then sprayed over the top with a further mix of the water and pva.
zwkiObW.jpg

fNcdqDn.jpg

show the snow soon!

In the meantime the model painting took place and then to assembly of the diorama. Please excuse the wrinkled sheet, I must get something better. The photos look ok on my phone but here on the PC are showing as quite bright so hopefully others can view them ok.
WIGyaUq.jpg

JdMrdVA.jpg

SfSHqpX.jpg

YKIQ9tU.jpg

tlpEkDP.jpg

r0hQekC.jpg

mfTn0DF.jpg

There will be some finishing to the board to come.
Cheers,
Josh

Really good! Only if I compare it directly with the original model I find subtle things which could be improved. I see a lot of shades and color variations but the body could still need some more subtle shades and variations to create a little more depth, but really really subtle. There is risk to make it worse so you can totally let it be this way!

Really good! Only if I compare it directly with the original model I find subtle things which could be improved. I see a lot of shades and color variations but the body could still need some more subtle shades and variations to create a little more depth, but really really subtle. There is risk to make it worse so you can totally let it be this way!

I tried to copy what I could make out on the model the speeder does wrap up. I struggled with any definitive detail. And some lights show details then theyre hidden in other light sources.
After looking at it for the week I decided to see what feedback I got. Im open to suggestions of what would be positive additions to the paint.

One thing that bothers me is the rectangular screw tags in the center of the leg/ hip cams. They should have been on an angle and I glued them in straight. Take note anyone using this as reference.

Cheers,
Josh

I love it!

It's amazing to see the Revell AT_AT transformed into something so much better

I agree, for a model that should take about 10 minutes to build out of the box its been an excersize. I obviously haven't corrected everything but overall I am satisfied it gives a much more correct studio appearance and considering Ive never scratch built so much before ( on anything other than a building) it has been a great learning curve.

Cheers,
Josh

Hi all, I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread up until recently being the AT-AT tragic I am. I've just gone through all the pages and there's a lot of great information here. I've had this kit for over 10 years myself which has been gathering dust after I stopped working on it due to its inaccuracies. Surprised to even see my name mentioned in one of the posts too lol.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back