Resin vs Bondo vs Rondo

kenoten

I have a bunch of polyurethane resin left over from some gem casting. Im working on a new project and I want to do a candy coat finish before painting. I have been presented with doing Resin (Which I have), Bondo (Which I dont) and 1:1 mix aka Rondo. Whats the difference in working with each and the result?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Rondo" is mixing polyester resin and Bondo in order to get a thinner, more fluid body filler with longer working time. This works because Bondo is polyester-based.
You can't make Rondo from polyurethane resin and Bondo. Besides, "Rondo" is opaque and won't give you a translucent "candy" finish.

There might be thickeners that would work with polyurethane resin. I have sometimes added colloidal silica to epoxy and got a clear result (even though it was opaque white before it set). Maybe you could experiment with that if you don't get a better advice. ;)

By candy finish, I mean as for sealing BEFORE paint. I have done 12 coats of PVA glue and it still has very little texture from the worbla. So before I paint the piece, I want it smoother.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back