Resin Plaster - Any good for cheap casting?

Womble

Hi all, I'm looking for a replacement for resin casting, mostly due to cost.

Here in Australia at least, the prices of resin seems... extravagant, and certainly beyond my hobby budget.

I came across "Resin Plaster". This particular one produced by Gedeo.

https://www.eckersleys.com.au/products/gedeo-resin-plaster

It appears to be plaster of paris mixed with some resin sorcery? I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with this? The pieces I am looking to cast are mostly weapon part props, like grips. Display pieces; that requires heavy handling, but they do need to be less brittle than regular plaster of paris...

Thanks for any help.

Never heard of the plaster/resin mix. I am sure it has its uses. Is it mixed as a liquid or more of a thick paste? Plaster as a liquid has too much shrinkage for my liking and mixed as a paste is too hard to pour into a mold without the risk of creating air cavities.

Hi all, I'm looking for a replacement for resin casting, mostly due to cost.

Here in Australia at least, the prices of resin seems... extravagant, and certainly beyond my hobby budget.

Where are you buying your resin from? Good quality stuff does cost a bit, but KG for KG, I think Barnes's products are quite well priced.

I used to use that cheap polyester resin from Bunnnings (about $40/KG) and that stuff stinks the workshop out for at least a week until it fully cures. Polyurethanes and even Epoxy does not smell as bad and are not that much more per KG.

When you buy a bulk pack, it gets even cheaper.

Thanks for the assistance, cavx.

I'm not sure at all how this resin plaster is used. Only just came across it.

No Barnes here in Adelaide, alas.

I haven't bought any resin yet as the price was putting me off. I was going to buy some Diggers Casting Resin from Bunnos, but even that is a bit pricey for my needs.

There's also Adelaide Moulding and Casting Supplies, but the prices make my poor wallet weep tears of pain.

Cheers.

Thanks for the assistance, cavx.

Your welcome.

I'm not sure at all how this resin plaster is used. Only just came across it.

Right now I am doing a project that could use a thicker material than resin, but I don't want to use plaster as I have UltraCal-30 on hand and it is not working out for this job.

No Barnes here in Adelaide, alas.

Head office is Sydney and they do have an office in Melbourne and Brisbane. They will ship all over Oz.

I haven't bought any resin yet as the price was putting me off. I was going to buy some Diggers Casting Resin from Bunnos, but even that is a bit pricey for my needs.

There's also Adelaide Moulding and Casting Supplies, but the prices make my poor wallet weep tears of pain.

Cheers.

Yeah the Diggers stuff is hit and miss as well. It is supposed to be a clear embedding resin. What it is, is a polyester casting reason that should have batch numbers and use by dates clearly shown. They don't. It sits in store on the shelves until someone buys it and the tell tale sign that it is beyond its use by date is the green colour. It will change colour when you add the kicker, but when it stays green or has that green tint after curing, you know something is not quite right. They won't discount it either and if you talk to them about the issues you had, all you get is a shrug. For the same price ($40/KG) from Barnes, you can buy 950 grams of a product that is essentially the same as Smooth-On's D65. You may have to pay a few dollars in shipping, but a much easier product to use and easy mix by volume or 0.9:1 (A:B) by weight.

Then there is Expoy resin which 500g from Spotlight will set you back about $45.00. Barnes have this for $60/KG and if you buy their bulk pack, it works out to be about $26/KG. That is how I want to buy it next time. 7.5KG will last me more than a few days :lol

I looked into this stuff a few years back, since I'm in a similar boat and from memory its plaster of paris with an acrylic binder.
To quote an amazon review of the product, complaining about the comparison to polyester resin: "In fact, it is actually very easy to sand, scrape, snap or break bits off."

I'm not sure what the "cheap polyesther resin" you are referring to, but have you looked at builders bog? I've had some success with it in the past, but it's not exactly a castable consistency.
Otherwise, have you looked into Rondo? Builder bog mixed with polyester resin. I've not tried it but it looks like a more economic way to cast things. My main issue in getting my hands on RTV silicone to make molds for anything resembling a reasonable price.

p.s. What are you using for molds?

Last edited by a moderator:
its nothing like resin, its just like a stronger plaster of paris - depends what you need it for, its quite brittle but casts pretty neatly and is good for sculpting back into.

There is nothing that is really close to polyurethane casting resin. All the polyesters are not deigned for hard wearing parts and often are for using with fiberglass. Diggers casting resin isn't too bad, but it's true about shelf life affecting the drying and color and it's slightly more brittle. Anything with a plaster content is just too brittle. If you're looking for a cheap alternative use Diggers casting resin, but just expect it to ever be clear unless you get a new batch.

I've got the same parts below, one is polyurethane resin and one is diggers. Reasonably comparative, but half the price, just really depends on your expectations, type of part and quantity of parts.

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 344
Thanks for all the advice, guys. It gave me a lot to think about.

My original plan was to just use oogoo and some "Friendly Plastic" or the like for making small pieces, but after your words, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some reputable silicone/resin starter kits instead.

Thanks.

The problem with most resins is that they are very sensitive to heat and may deform according to conditions. The only thing that ensures greater strength and stability to this is the incorporation and mixed with inert fillers. The resin you put into your first post seems an acrylic resin which is accompanied by an inert filler, like the plaster or plaster of Paris.

Its advantage is to be more durable than the cast itself and at the same time does not produce certain smells,and, of course, less toxic. I see price something expensive relative to the cost of polyester resin, which is still the cheapest but in some applications is inadvisable, especially if we durability against hits or falls. In this last the polyurethane resin and derivatives thereof remain the best options.

I think there polyurethane resins which are much cheaper than the big known brands.

I look for in a material three great qualities:
- Tcheap
- resistant
- light weight

Thanks for all the advice, guys. It gave me a lot to think about.

My original plan was to just use oogoo and some "Friendly Plastic" or the like for making small pieces, but after your words, I think I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy some reputable silicone/resin starter kits instead.

Thanks.

Absolutely going to be worth your time and money to buy proper stuff and have a play.

A while back I watched a heap of YouTube videos where these guys were "cheating the system" using caulking silicone for making a mold. I was inspired and decided to give this a go given 300g Clear Silicone is $4.95 at Bunnings Verses the $60+/KG for a proper molding silicone.

Yeah sure, at $4.95 a tube x 4 gives 1.2 KG for less than $20. Then you need a solvent to get rid of the adhesive or it will stick to your part and be total bi-otch to demold, it even lets go at all.

On the videos, they used caulking silicone mixed with Benzine which is basically a lighter fluid - which Bunnings does not sell. A tabacco shop maybe? Anyway, so then I tested various chemicals that will mix with this. Out of Kero, Metho, Turps and Acetone, the two that worked for me were Turps and Acetone. Turps is cheap, Acetone, not so. Turps leaves the silicone feeling oily and smells really bad. Acetone leaves no smell or oily feel, but also costs $11.00 for a litre bottle (now you are up to $31 for DIY 1.2KG kit).

After a heap of experimentation, it turned out that caulking silicone + Acetone (mixed at 10% of the weight of the silicone) worked pretty good. You can use more acetone, but there is no gain as it just takes longer to evaporate and the condensation of the evaporation is what sets the silicone. Potlife was about 6min MAX, which is pretty short, about the same as PinkySil. The problem is that I ended up with a heap of waste - usually about half the tube at a time. The best way to mix it was in a glass jar, so you add the silicone, add the acetone, put the lid on and shake the jar like a mad man. The silicone goes from a glue to thick but paintable gel, but it does not pour very well so it tends to trap air. Given the 50% wastage, I was basically back at $60/KG, so decided to save myself the grief of hit and miss and just buy the real stuff that I know works.

Other videos show them tip silicone into soapy water and mold it with their hands. The water prevents the air from curing and the soap apparently breaks down the adhesive. They can then make a one part mold but the cure time before demolding can be as long as a week. There is also a heap of videos showing them mix silicone into baking powder or corn starch. The end result here is a moldable putty at also takes days to cure.

Using the real products and you have a good idea of how it will work out.
Here is my stash I picked up today. A combination of silicone and resins at about $500 here, but enough to last the next month. Because these products are for commissions, I know I will get a positive return here.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Barnes Products.jpg
    Barnes Products.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,265
Last edited:
If you just want to use the plaster as a filler you could try something like micro ballons.

That is what the bottle (Cabosil) on top of the bucket in my photo is for. I've never used it before, The product is an inert filler that can be added to both resin and silicone to take the product from a runny, pour-able liquid to a paint-able gel that sticks to vertical surfaces. Normally in very small batches, I just wait until the products go into gel state, but then there is risk of it setting up and not being able to be used at all. The safer option apparently.

Sort of related....If you're buying Barnes Resin, I prefer ProCast over Easycast. Less bubble prone, slower cure and I believe better detail...just my 2 cents;)

Sort of related....If you're buying Barnes Resin, I prefer ProCast over Easycast. Less bubble prone, slower cure and I believe better detail...just my 2 cents;)

EasyCast is 1:1 by volume and I think the ProCast is 1:1 by weight (cures in a tan colour?). Because I prefer to use scales, 1:1 by weight is probably a better choice. Though I worked out 1:1.1 by weight works well with this and there is little to no wastage.

If I want true bubble free parts, I use the Epoxycast (35min potlife and 3 hour cure) or the Polyurethane (15min potlife and 6 hours cure time) and degas them.

EasyCast is 1:1 by volume and I think the ProCast is 1:1 by weight (cures in a tan colour?). Because I prefer to use scales, 1:1 by weight is probably a better choice. Though I worked out 1:1.1 by weight works well with this and there is little to no wastage.

If I want true bubble free parts, I use the Epoxycast (35min potlife and 3 hour cure) or the Polyurethane (15min potlife and 6 hours cure time) and degas them.

Procast is by weight, but no matter how accurate I scale it, I always end up with a small amount left in one of the containers. Still I prefer it to easycast everytime

Procast is by weight, but no matter how accurate I scale it, I always end up with a small amount left in one of the containers. Still I prefer it to easycast everytime

What scales are you using?

So is this the product that turns a tan colour? I think the only Barnes resins I have not used is the BeeQueen (think 100 seconds is just a tad too fast).
They do have this other resin that has a shore of only A15. Need to test that one as I think it would be cool for an inner sole on some shoes. I did use PinkySil (A25) for a silimar thing.

I am not really going to be casting in the EasyCast. I'll be soaking some cloth into it and layering it down to help form a hard casing over the outside of a thin walled mold. I did make such a case from plaster bandages, but I need to thicken the silicone up a touch and make a new jacket. The excess will be applied to another project as soon as it gels and smeared to help build up the part. This is all done is very small amounts for obvious reasons with the very short potlife.

My scales measure 0.01 grams and yes Procast is tan in colour. If you think there is a better Barnes resin other than Procast, I'd like to hear what it is and why. I'm always looking better products.

Thanks again guys for all the help here. I've been busy researching the options, but admit to finding it overwhelming-super-useful-frightening-excellent. :)

I have looked at Barnes, Adelaide Moulding & Casting, and Rowes Trading (Adelaide). The trick with Barnes is that they can't provide shipping costs until after I order. (Which is not a big deal, but it's more fussing around.)

I'm looking to mould and cast space guns. (Materials: foamed PVC, MDF, Styrene, PVC pipe, coated cardboard, etc.) Cost is a primary concern.

The castings will be for display-use mostly (except when I'm waving them around like a 7 year old). They don't need to be flexible or clear, but do need to be sandable, drillable, paintable. I'm not terribly worried if castings have the odd bubble, if I can fill them, paint them etc.

Given all that... can you recommend which products I should be looking at? Stuff I've found so far:

Beginner Value Pack Pinky & UCast65D (~$76 delivered)

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6580

UCast 65D - 1kg (~$40 delivered)

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index...fo&cPath=2091_2226_2528_2586&products_id=7937

(Smooth Cast 300 Trial $48 pick-up, quantity unknown)

https://rowetrading.com.au/casting-...stralia-adelaide-moulding-casting-distributor

Pinkysil $39.27 + delivery (seems like it would be better value to buy this in a kit)

http://www.barnes.com.au/addition-curing-silicone/pinkysil-1591

Procast Medium Set Rigid Polyurethane Resin 1kg $44.55 + delivery

http://www.barnes.com.au/polyurethane/procast-1364#/sizes-1kg

I also have a Spotlight opening up right near me, which is handy. There is more Rub-n-Buff in my future, hooray! :p

Thanks again, all.

My scales measure 0.01 grams and yes Procast is tan in colour. If you think there is a better Barnes resin other than Procast, I'd like to hear what it is and why. I'm always looking better products.

Out of all of the Barnes resins that I have used, I think the best are the two water clear, polyurethanes. The flexible is called WC565 and I am not sure what the rigid is off the top of my head. These give super results, but you DO NEED to degas if you want them water clear. You will get away without degassing if you add pigment. They are also probably the most expensive (per KG) in the range where the rigid is over twice the price of EpoxyCast for the same volume/weight (1.5KG) kit. I'm comparing it to EpoxyCast because both are clear with a shore of A100.

Thanks again guys for all the help here. I've been busy researching the options, but admit to finding it overwhelming-super-useful-frightening-excellent. :)

I have looked at Barnes, Adelaide Moulding & Casting, and Rowes Trading (Adelaide). The trick with Barnes is that they can't provide shipping costs until after I order. (Which is not a big deal, but it's more fussing around.)

I'm looking to mould and cast space guns. (Materials: foamed PVC, MDF, Styrene, PVC pipe, coated cardboard, etc.) Cost is a primary concern.

The castings will be for display-use mostly (except when I'm waving them around like a 7 year old). They don't need to be flexible or clear, but do need to be sandable, drillable, paintable. I'm not terribly worried if castings have the odd bubble, if I can fill them, paint them etc.

Given all that... can you recommend which products I should be looking at? Stuff I've found so far:

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6580

UCast 65D - 1kg (~$40 delivered)

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index...fo&cPath=2091_2226_2528_2586&products_id=7937

(Smooth Cast 300 Trial $48 pick-up, quantity unknown)

https://rowetrading.com.au/casting-...stralia-adelaide-moulding-casting-distributor

Pinkysil $39.27 + delivery (seems like it would be better value to buy this in a kit)

http://www.barnes.com.au/addition-curing-silicone/pinkysil-1591

Procast Medium Set Rigid Polyurethane Resin 1kg $44.55 + delivery

http://www.barnes.com.au/polyurethane/procast-1364#/sizes-1kg

I also have a Spotlight opening up right near me, which is handy. There is more Rub-n-Buff in my future, hooray! :p

Thanks again, all.

This UCast 65D - 1kg (~$40 delivered) sounds like the equivalent to Barnes' EasyCast or ProCast. Basically a 2 part plastic that has a potlife or less than 3min and can be demolded in 10min. It has a shore hardness of D65 meaning you can drill it and maybe even tap a thread into it. This stuff will generally give good details and the only real times you get bubbles on the surface is if you disturb the cast before it kicks.

Pinkysil $39.27 + delivery
The "pink" silicones are additive 1:1 mix ratios so super easy to use. Most of these are quick set, so do read the instructions.
I started with these and now prefer to use Vario products 100:10 additive with 15min potlife and up to 6 hour cure times. Because I degas, I get perfect, bubble free molds. The stuff I use is also harder at Shore A40 verses Pinky's A25.

Two good products to learn on and that is a good price for "delivered".

Remember, make a good mold and look after it, you will get many casts from it. Just don't use that smelly polyester resin in your PinkySil mold. It will burn it out.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back