Resident Evil Leon Kennedy (RPD & RE6)

Keelan562

WARNING/APOLOGY: This is gonna have A LOT of text. Don't feel obligated to read it all; if you opt to just check out what's in the photos and comment based on that, I'm totally cool with it.

So, going to be getting a haircut tomorrow after work, and some of my students this year heard that last year I was Leon Kennedy for Halloween. Thought that I'd take a couple pics to show them the costume since they missed out on it this year (I was Link from Legend of Zelda this year, and they dug that, so they'll likely enjoy what they'll see tomorrow), and figured I may as well post what I have here.

A little history about the character and my choice in doing the costume: When the demo for RE2 first came out back on the PS-One, a friend of mine called me and told me that Capcom had put me in a game. I knew he was bs'ing me, but didn't know what he was talking about. Turned out that the final design of Leon Kennedy resembled my teenage self a lot. Dudes took my hair style, and the original voice actor even sounded like I used to at that time (ironically, I still sound a bit like the character today, though my voice is slightly rougher than "deep"). So while I've always loved the character, I never had it in me to dress up as him until that Halloween of the 2012-2013 school year.

Two things to keep in mind regarding the photos: One, that the hair was way more accurate/better looking at the time I wore the costume, and Two, I apologize for the red eyes. No matter what, I almost always seem to photograph looking like I'm about to go Teen Wolf on someone. :devil

Anyway, on to the costumes!

RPD Full.jpg RPD Full Back.jpg RPD Pose.jpg

The RPD uniform took me quite a while to put together (and technically, I'm still not finished with it!). The boots, which don't quite show in the pictures, are Bates 8" side-zip tactical boots; I've worn these as my normal foot attire for years, and it was just fitting that boots worn by actual police officers were part of a costume based on such a character. I had on the black elbow pads on the day, but have no idea where they are, thus why they aren't in the photos. The gloves are weight lifting Gold's Gym gloves I got at Wal-Mart years ago. One thing missing from the costume that tends to be obvious is that I don't have the sheath/knife affixed to the left shoulder pad. The costume looks okay without it, but I still intend to get one done for the build.

RPD Top 1.JPG RPD Top 2.JPG RPD Back.JPG RPD Sleeve.JPG
The top portion of the costume was a combination of online purchases. The main part of it was commissioned by a costumer overseas. I asked that none of the printing be done, since a friend of mine from high school does screen printing and helped me out with that. The patches they had on the sleeves were terrible, so I had to track down some of the old Capcom official patches on eBay and affix those.

RPD Belt 1.JPG RPD Belt 2.JPG
The belt I've owned for quite a while, having used it as part of a costume in a short film I did originally intended as my Thesis Project for my Bachelors Degree. The holster holds a Glock 17 (which I'm holding a replica of, along with an attached M3 Tactical light). I know that in the game Resident Evil 2 Leon started off with a VP70, but since I'm working with what I've got I figured it wouldn't matter too much. The last piece that I bought was the large butt-pack; I went through a few of them before being satisfied with the one used, which I found at a local military surplus store (and the best part was that I actually packed snacks and stuff in it, so I was walking around during lunch with the students eating and drinking soda that I actually had on me, so it was functional rather than just a part of the costume). The pants are just a pair of Dickies workpants. They aren't a 100% color match, but they were close enough that it almost doesn't show, especially to the naked eye (the flash enhances the color and shows the difference more.

RE6 Full.jpg RE6 Full Back.jpg RE6 Pose.jpg

The day before wearing the RPD uniform costume, I actually wore the clothes Leon wears in RE6. A lot of people didn't realize what I was doing, but there were a few of the students that noticed. ;)

This was a rather easy build for the most part. The pants are Dickies like before, but in a plain gray. Still wore the Bates boots. Simple red t-shirt and a black button down (which was actually the trickiest part, as I wanted it to be fitted right and not be too long when not tucked in, so it involved a bit of running around to different shops to find).

Jacket.JPG

The jacket was a replica I had gotten shortly after the game was announced and it was revealed what it looked like. I can't remember what company did the replica, but they did a great job of it... I should really look back in my browser history and see if I can track them down, now that I think about it... The fit is pretty good. A bit on the bulky side, but things fit well when it's zipped closed, so I can't complain. This jacket, as well as a replica Dean Winchester jacket I got from Soul Revolver about a year before, are both in regular rotation in what I wear usually; I love 'em that much. :)

Earpiece.JPG

The earpiece is a recent addition to the build. I'd searched a bunch of sites and no place has anything exactly like the little radio/flashlight earpieces that Leon and Helena Harper have in the game. I thought of possibly building one from scratch, but I'm not all that confident in my skills just yet. Eventually, I found this little sucker on Amazon for a relatively cheap price ($7.99), so figured it was worth the money to give it a shot.

Well, that's pretty much it. Really two costumes rather than one, but I consider the Leon build(s) to be my first true footsteps into the world of replica/cosplay. I'll wait a bit before posting anything of the Link costume I wore for this year (gonna have to let the hair grow out; 'member, I said at the start I was getting a haircut, and I'm not much of a "wig" person).

My next intended build is going to be The Arrow. *fingers crossed I can pull it off in time!*

Eager to hear what you all think. :)

Last edited:
WARNING/APOLOGY: This is gonna have A LOT of text. Don't feel obligated to read it all; if you opt to just check out what's in the photos and comment based on that, I'm totally cool with it.

So, going to be getting a haircut tomorrow after work, and some of my students this year heard that last year I was Leon Kennedy for Halloween. Thought that I'd take a couple pics to show them the costume since they missed out on it this year (I was Link from Legend of Zelda this year, and they dug that, so they'll likely enjoy what they'll see tomorrow), and figured I may as well post what I have here.

A little history about the character and my choice in doing the costume: When the demo for RE2 first came out back on the PS-One, a friend of mine called me and told me that Capcom had put me in a game. I knew he was bs'ing me, but didn't know what he was talking about. Turned out that the final design of Leon Kennedy resembled my teenage self a lot. Dudes took my hair style, and the original voice actor even sounded like I used to at that time (ironically, I still sound a bit like the character today, though my voice is slightly rougher than "deep"). So while I've always loved the character, I never had it in me to dress up as him until that Halloween of the 2012-2013 school year.

Two things to keep in mind regarding the photos: One, that the hair was way more accurate/better looking at the time I wore the costume, and Two, I apologize for the red eyes. No matter what, I almost always seem to photograph looking like I'm about to go Teen Wolf on someone. :devil

Anyway, on to the costumes!

View attachment 325972 View attachment 325973 View attachment 325974

The RPD uniform took me quite a while to put together (and technically, I'm still not finished with it!). The boots, which don't quite show in the pictures, are Bates 8" side-zip tactical boots; I've worn these as my normal foot attire for years, and it was just fitting that boots worn by actual police officers were part of a costume based on such a character. I had on the black elbow pads on the day, but have no idea where they are, thus why they aren't in the photos. The gloves are weight lifting Gold's Gym gloves I got at Wal-Mart years ago. One thing missing from the costume that tends to be obvious is that I don't have the sheath/knife affixed to the left shoulder pad. The costume looks okay without it, but I still intend to get one done for the build.

View attachment 325975 View attachment 325976 View attachment 325978 View attachment 325977
The top portion of the costume was a combination of online purchases. The main part of it was commissioned by a costumer overseas. I asked that none of the printing be done, since a friend of mine from high school does screen printing and helped me out with that. The patches they had on the sleeves were terrible, so I had to track down some of the old Capcom official patches on eBay and affix those.

View attachment 325979 View attachment 325980
The belt I've owned for quite a while, having used it as part of a costume in a short film I did originally intended as my Thesis Project for my Bachelors Degree. The holster holds a Glock 17 (which I'm holding a replica of, along with an attached M3 Tactical light). I know that in the game Resident Evil 2 Leon started off with a VP70, but since I'm working with what I've got I figured it wouldn't matter too much. The last piece that I bought was the large butt-pack; I went through a few of them before being satisfied with the one used, which I found at a local military surplus store (and the best part was that I actually packed snacks and stuff in it, so I was walking around during lunch with the students eating and drinking soda that I actually had on me, so it was functional rather than just a part of the costume). The pants are just a pair of Dickies workpants. They aren't a 100% color match, but they were close enough that it almost doesn't show, especially to the naked eye (the flash enhances the color and shows the difference more.

View attachment 325981 View attachment 325982 View attachment 325983

The day before wearing the RPD uniform costume, I actually wore the clothes Leon wears in RE6. A lot of people didn't realize what I was doing, but there were a few of the students that noticed. ;)

This was a rather easy build for the most part. The pants are Dickies like before, but in a plain gray. Still wore the Bates boots. Simple red t-shirt and a black button down (which was actually the trickiest part, as I wanted it to be fitted right and not be too long when not tucked in, so it involved a bit of running around to different shops to find).

View attachment 325984

The jacket was a replica I had gotten shortly after the game was announced and it was revealed what it looked like. I can't remember what company did the replica, but they did a great job of it... I should really look back in my browser history and see if I can track them down, now that I think about it... The fit is pretty good. A bit on the bulky side, but things fit well when it's zipped closed, so I can't complain. This jacket, as well as a replica Dean Winchester jacket I got from Soul Revolver about a year before, are both in regular rotation in what I wear usually; I love 'em that much. :)

View attachment 325985

The earpiece is a recent addition to the build. I'd searched a bunch of sites and no place has anything exactly like the little radio/flashlight earpieces that Leon and Helena Harper have in the game. I thought of possibly building one from scratch, but I'm not all that confident in my skills just yet. Eventually, I found this little sucker on Amazon for a relatively cheap price ($7.99), so figured it was worth the money to give it a shot.

Well, that's pretty much it. Really two costumes rather than one, but I consider the Leon build(s) to be my first true footsteps into the world of replica/cosplay. I'll wait a bit before posting anything of the Link costume I wore for this year (gonna have to let the hair grow out; 'member, I said at the start I was getting a haircut, and I'm not much of a "wig" person).

My next intended build is going to be The Arrow. *fingers crossed I can pull it off in time!*

Eager to hear what you all think. :)

Both look great!

I've wanted to cosplay Leon for a while but as I'm in the military, I'd have to wear a wig which is putting me off, anyways, good job!

Re: Resident Evil Leon Kennedy (RPD & RE6)

Both look great!

I've wanted to cosplay Leon for a while but as I'm in the military, I'd have to wear a wig which is putting me off, anyways, good job!

Thanks buddy! And yes, I see having hair like Leon's not going over too well with your CO. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

^^ lol. Wigs put me off too.

Looks pretty awesome! I want to do a Hunk costume soon.

I tried to do a Hunk costume back when I was in high-school (VERY amateurish, but I worked with what I could get). I want to do a rendition using the gas mask that was used from the first RE film at some point; even though it won't be accurate because of the lack of red lenses, I think it would look awesome. :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back