Replicating Sword Blade

Tenshikun

I need to make two exact copies of one samurai-type blade that I already own. What would be the best method for making the mold and what should I cast it out of? I was scared resin might be too weak, but perhaps I'm wrong. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

What you make it out of is really going to be dertermined by the purpose of the final product. If this is a display piece that will sit on a self, look pretty, and collect dust, then it really doesn't matter what material you make it out of. So what if it's brittle? It's just going to sit on a shelf. However, if this is a stunt piece that will be used for staged fights, then you are going need a blade made of sterner stuff. Rather than casting the blade you might be better off machining blades out of sheet aluminum. They won't stand up to "full speed" combat, but they will be light and cheap for a choreographed fight.

Anothing cosideration: If these are for a costume remember that many cons are starting to forbid metal blades of any type. You would have to use some type of plastic or resin.

Fianlly, must the blade be cast? I've seen some very nice blades created with sandwitched layers of plastic (either ABS or styrene). For longer blades you can even run a metal rod through the center for rigidity.

So, you've got a lot of options. Give us some more information on how you plan to use the finished products and we can give you a narrower field of options to get that result.

Originally posted by RedTwoX@Feb 5 2006, 04:26 PM
What you make it out of is really going to be dertermined by the purpose of the final product.  If this is a display piece that will sit on a self, look pretty, and collect dust, then it really doesn't matter what material you make it out of.  So what if it's brittle?  It's just going to sit on a shelf.  However, if this is a stunt piece that will be used for staged fights, then you are going need a blade made of sterner stuff.  Rather than casting the blade you might be better off machining blades out of sheet aluminum.  They won't stand up to "full speed" combat, but they will be light and cheap for a choreographed fight.

Anothing cosideration: If these are for a costume remember that many cons are starting to forbid metal blades of any type.  You would have to use some type of plastic or resin.

Fianlly, must the blade be cast?  I've seen some very nice blades created with sandwitched layers of plastic (either ABS or styrene).  For longer blades you can even run a metal rod through the center for rigidity.

So, you've got a lot of options.  Give us some more information on how you plan to use the finished products and we can give you a narrower field of options to get that result.
[snapback]1176699[/snapback]​

This is actually for a costume, and will be carried around a convention if not in the sheath then withdrawn for poses. The reason they need to be identical is becasue its this sword:
official71.jpg

I have a cheap katana Blade that would work perfectly if copied in perhaps cast resin, or something more sturdy. Even then what would be the best way to make the mold? I tried copying the blade on two peices of wood and theyre just not 100% identical and it's more of a perfectionist thing.

Originally posted by mez7+Feb 5 2006, 10:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mez7 @ Feb 5 2006, 10:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Gigatron
@Feb 6 2006, 02:13 AM
I would just get 2 of these swords here: http://www.wooden-swords.com/Eastern_Marti...ce_Swords.shtml

For $15 each it'll save you a ton of headaches

-Fred
[snapback]1176953[/snapback]​

and in all reality that would be cheaper than molding and casting something yourself.
[snapback]1176958[/snapback]​
[/b]

It would, but the blades on those swords arent flat as the prop is supposed to be, I appreciate the thought of it being easier, but I'd rather it looks authentic as opposed to affordable.

buy 2 cheap katanas then,

would look better, and be alot more strong than resin or anything else your likely to use to cast with, and still probably be less money, and alot more easier than all the casting and molding.

Well, You have a couple of options:

1)if you can, find a sheet of 1/16" aluminium in the correct length and make 2 blades using a template. How sturdy it will be at that length is anybody's guess.

2)Make one using several layers of balsa.

3) get those cheap wooden bokkens and just some woodworking tools to reshape them. It'll take some work, but all the hard parts are already done.

-Fred

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back