Replica of Prince Oberyn Martell's spear from Game of Thrones

VolundrForge

blade_shield.jpgblade_shield2.jpgside.jpgtassels.jpgend.jpgfull.jpg

I recently started getting into prop design and building. These are some pictures of my first two pieces. The spear was featured on The Game of Thrones and the shield I designed based on the sigil of House Martell. Im working on another spear, so this one is currently up on eBay if anyone is interested. Below is a short description of the materials used for the build.

The Blade:
The shape of the blade was carved out of a solid piece of white oak and then painted with chrome and black paint to resemble battle weathered steel.

The Snakes:
The two snakes are made out of worbla and a lot of epoxy glue. The snakes were by far the most challenging and time consuming part. There are almost 700 scales in total that had to be glued to the "skeleton" of the snake which was also made out of worbla. A mixture of copper, gold, and bronze paints were used to achieve the desired coloration. The copper paint alone made the snakes look too neat and not hand hammered like the original. Black enamel and acrylic paints were then used to made the snakes looks tarnished and battle worn.

The Tassels:
The tassels at the base of the snakes are made from genuine cow leather embossed with a snakeskin pattern. To make the leather look worn I used sand paper and acetone to discolor the material and then used black paint to simulate the dirt and grime that it would acquire through use.

The Shaft:
Ash hardwood was used for the shaft of the spear and then stained with. I chose Ash because it is extremely strong and a historically accurate choice for a spear shaft.
The second pointed end was also made out of worbla and painted to resemble battle worn steel.

Overall, I had a lot of fun building the Red Vipers spear. Seeing and holding it in person was definitely worth the 25+ hours it took to build. I hope everyone enjoys checking it out! Id love to hear any comments or criticism you might have!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back