Rens' 2014 Jun-Jul Sculpture Contest Entry

Rens

I wasn't going to enter this contest because I have a bunch of commissions and DragonCon costume freakout, but then things slowed down for this weekend. So I figured that if I don't sleep, I could get a sculpture done in time!

I love werewolves and werewolf flicks, so I wanted to go my own version of a werewolf mask. (Sorry if anyone else is doing a werewolf, I haven't had a chance to look at all the other entries). Since I don't have a lot of time, I'm sculpting in WED clay, unlike the past two contests where I used monster clay. I've been watching a lot of Don Lanning's character videos on the Stan Winston School Tutorials and the magic he makes with WED clay is just inspiring!

After I finish the sculpt, I will mold it and cast it in resin, like the Khajiit in my profile picture.

Here's my workspace and references (excuse Oberyn, he's there for an upcoming cosplay) I'm sculpting on CFX's Joe armature, which is strapped to a lazy susan (the rubber band suspenders)
IMG_1176.jpg

This is about an hour of roughing in the form. The eyes are 26mm mountain lion eyes that I got from VanDyke's Taxidermy
At this point, I've started calling this sculpture the "Robb Stark"
IMG_1177.jpg

Still roughing in. I'm using some homemade rake tools (following the directions I found in Special Makeup Effects for Stage and Screen: Making and Applying Prosthetics by Todd Debreceni)

IMG_1179.jpg

I tend to focus on the right side of the face when I'm starting, so I wanted to make sure that I had a little more balance before I quit for this session (SYMMETRY!!!)
IMG_1183.JPG

Then my kid woke up, so I had to quit... for now. Took this last picture to help me match on the other side when I go back for the next session.
IMG_1184.JPG

Hoping to get back to it tonight after the boy's bedtime.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 151
Amazing Rens, This is looking great! That book has so many awesome stuff in it, it answered a lot of questions that I had.
Can't wait to see the final product.

Amazing Rens, This is looking great! That book has so many awesome stuff in it, it answered a lot of questions that I had.
Can't wait to see the final product.

I KNOW!!! I wish I had that book 20 years ago. It would have seriously changed my career path.

I'm working on the texture using a combination of loop tools and styluses. I'm really hoping to have this wrapped up in time for the deadline!

IMG_1231.jpgIMG_1232.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back