Remembering Good Times at the Cinema

You know what’s NOT good times at a theater.. 27 minutes of trailers before the movie…

With movies getting longer and longer and now pushing 2-1/2 hours.. my bladder is really pinching it..
You know whats worse..
Your partner running late and says "Don't worry they always start 30 minutes in because of the trailers and its the one time they don't and you miss 20 mins of the movie!...

You know whats worse..
Your partner running late and says "Don't worry they always start 30 minutes in because of the trailers and its the one time they don't and you miss 20 mins of the movie!...

Attachments

• WAUGH.jpg
    WAUGH.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 41
I could swear several years ago there was a period where there was a law, or at least a practice in response to complaints, of publishing the REAL start time of the movie. Doesn't seem to be happening any more, if it ever did..

You know whats worse..
Dude my girlfriend.. sits through all 27 minutes of trailers and when the red marvel logo starts peeling away she goes “I gotta go pee!!!” And flys to the bathroom missing the first 5 minutes of the movie.

I’m 37, I drink 8/10 bottles of water a day that’s all I drink. So I’m peeing all the time. Movies have become so hard for me, you can ask my friends.. it’s a on going joke with me on how many times I pee before the final time I sit down.. then when the movies over I fly to the bathroom to pee again

What’s the worst part is all these end credit scenes.. the scrolling text it like dripping water lol

First time I saw no way home I sat through it all.. all the trailers everything. Second time I left later then normal and got into the theater 5 minutes before it started.. hell with sitting through that again

One of my fondest movie experience memories from childhood was in 1989. My Mom took me and my brother to two movies the same day, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade and Star Trek 5 The Final Frontier. It was a great time just spending the day at the movies. My Mom even bought me a Star Trek pin in the lobby. Memories like that are irreplaceable.

This isn't too old of a problem, but the theater marquees near me don't even bother to list their movies any more. Now it's just info on how to buy tickets online or other nonsense. I used to love driving by and seeing what's currently showing, but alas.

This isn't too old of a problem, but the theater marquees near me don't even bother to list their movies any more. Now it's just info on how to buy tickets online or other nonsense. I used to love driving by and seeing what's currently showing, but alas.
Funny you should mention this exactly! We talked about this same thing when pulling into the theater and just seeing the large AMC sign.. no more movie titles under it “remember the movie titles under it”

Thinking about how times have changed

Yep. It's just an empty marquee outside now. All listings are on the ticker board in the lobby now. It's a real bummer that one has to go online to check times. I also liked driving by and seeing what was playing. I don't even think the hotline to check screening times are a thing anymore.

Oh, man, calling for times.
Until digital, one had to be very cognizant of which screen a multiplex was using for the time you wanted. They'd have one or two big houses with good sound systems, and the rest would be tiny, have the aisle in the middle of the room, and mono sound. So I'd have to call to get an actual person to tell me which showtimes were using the good ones.

For similar reasons one needed to see a movie in its first week, because after that it would go to one of the crap screens.

Or even checking for movie times in the newspaper. If you accidentally referenced Thursdays paper on a Friday, you could have showed up and been completely wrong as to the showtime. Many times did I show up for a 4:15 movie, only for it to have been switched since yesterday to something like 5:35. Go home or kill a bunch of time around the theater?

For a bunch of years, I was the person that was in change of changing the theater mylars Thursday night after close to prepare for Friday.
I would get the Friday schedule and had this whole system of what needed to move and where, and if two of the same movie where playing on different screens, then both would need the times. The long lighted plastic frame had enough space for the movie mylar and theater number....or if it needed the times, then had to get a shorter number for that theater so the times could fit.
First time I did it, it took over 2 hours....I got it down to about 20 to 30 mins.
The little 3 step ladder broke once, so I just got on top the rounded edge garbage cans. Nice and dangerous.

Found this pic off google, which is exactly how they looked with the times. Funny,they blocked off the "Regal" presents.
Although, I put would put the theater number first, movie, then times.
Since Endgame only came out in 2019, surprised this theater, which ever one it is, was still doing it this way.
Its more work then a digital screen, but something about it just feels more right and personal.

mylar.jpg

Oh, man, calling for times.
Until digital, one had to be very cognizant of which screen a multiplex was using for the time you wanted. They'd have one or two big houses with good sound systems, and the rest would be tiny, have the aisle in the middle of the room, and mono sound. So I'd have to call to get an actual person to tell me which showtimes were using the good ones.

For similar reasons one needed to see a movie in its first week, because after that it would go to one of the crap screens.
Totally forgot about that.. my theater was like that too, single isle down the middle

There was a smaller theater I think they had 4 screens, that’s where we saw the Pokémon movie, anyway, their theater was setup like a actual opera stage.. curtain would open and the screen was behind it

But the seats were like opera seating.. the rows were on a arch.. can only enter from left and right side of the theater

I’m really really digging this thread.. excellent idea Micheal

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back