Redwall- the Sword of Martin the Warrior

Nibenon

Not really a movie or tv prop, but I've always wanted to own the sword of Martin. Thing is, too many of the interpretations look silly, like in the cartoon series.

So, this is what I'm aiming for, a subtly tapering blade. Simple and elegant. So should I go for it?

Yes, do it! are you planning to make it proportianal to a human, or are you gonna make it the size that it would have been in the books, that is, proportianal to a mouse?

Yes, do it! are you planning to make it proportianal to a human, or are you gonna make it the size that it would have been in the books, that is, proportianal to a mouse?

Well, as easier as it would be to have it about 6 inches long... letter openers are out of season.:lol So probably a good three-handed longsword, about 4 feet long.

Alright, better feddback than I expected... the sword should look something like this; I could make the blade pretty easy, but the quillion and pommel might be tricky if I want to keep it accurate.

Hmm slight delay... I seem to have... misplaced... the angle grinder's key (and just as I got the metal and cutting wheel :cry) Oh well. In the meantime I'm marking the blank out on the bar.

UPDATE AFTER A MONTH!
Ok, sword blank is done, tools are here, and I can begin grinding out the fuller and edges of the blade!:) Pics coming soon!

ALRIGHTY, revival time!

So, I've made several blades, but I've been (as of yet) unable to make a decent crossgaurd or pommel. I DO NOT want to cast these, they need to be handmade for quality.

Finally, there's the issue of the ruby. Still no luck finding one that hasn't shattered every time I whack foebeasts...

This is the part where I seek superior guidance. I'm a bladesmith, not a jeweler... *sigh*

Hurrah! An update!

Pictures of the completed blades, please. As for the pommel gem, how picky are you about realism in the hardness, scratch resistance, etc? I think something like a tinted acrylic could work and be easy to grind and polish, glass is a bit brittle, and tempered glass probably would be hard to find and even harder to work. After that, I'm out of ideas.

Post script: I just read your signature, which I find matches my initial comment fairly well...

Those are some good points JBD... I really could skip the issues with the jewel if I want this just for display.

SO... anyone have a blueprint or some closeups of the crossgaurd? It could be a rectangular bar of metal initially, and then each face gets the same gentle curve (rotational symmetry, bleh)

I'd say you're free to design it however you want based on your chosen reference. (based on my recollection that the depicted sword was never completely consistent from illustration to illustration...)

That said, if it were me, I'd take a bit of mild square stock (9 times the width of a side? 3 for the center, and 3 for either side to taper and whatnot), stick it in a lathe, and turn the last couple inches on either end to the oglive+sphere bits before milling out the places for the blade and rattail.

Alternatively, I suppose you could interpret that taper as a prism/pyramid...

Decorations on the other two sides: I have no idea where I'd start. I might end with some forced patina and buffing out the highlights though.

just some thoughts.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back