Red Robin costume questions!

Kiarou

Hello all,

I am currently working on a Red Robin, movie-grade interpretation of the the RR suit.
I have the cowl done and the sculpt to the tunic is almost complete as well

I just have a few questions before I continue

1) The Red Robin suit is split up so that the upper part is red and the bottom part is black. Should I sculpt and cast these two separately or should I make it into one sculpt and (paint?) it or cast them into two separate colors. (I was thinking of using psycho paint, but I'm not sure)

2) What is the best way to cast this thing? I was thinking about just pouring the silicone between the mold and the lifecast. Maybe use a thinner on the silicone to make sure it pours through properly. I don't really have enough money for an injector, but if I did, would that be a more feasible method?

3) What is the best way to go about making the cape? I was thinking about making a mold for it, but I am honestly lost on this one.

4) What is the best way to attach the rubber armor parts to the spandex undersuit? I was thinking about using a silicone glue Sil-Poxy RTV Silicone Adhesive Product Information | Smooth-On But I don't know how feasible that is

5)And lastly, there are gold parts to this design, and I'm wondering, what is the best paint to use on silicone to get that golden/bronze look? I know that casting powder is mainly for urethane products, but I was wondering if it would have any sort of effect of silicone, either being mixed in or brushed on.

Thank you in advance for any help! Here are some progress pics so far :)

Nice work so far. I'm not much help for the casting parts, but I think you'd be best of if you just got a pattern for the cape. Then you could just transfer it to the fabric and sew it together. Check out your local fabric store. They usually have patterns for capes there.
If you were wanting to have a latex cape, you could paint that on afterwards. (I'm not exactly sure how they apply the latex to the cape) I would think a fabric cape would be more comfortable and less expensive though.

I would think a fabric cape would be more comfortable and less expensive though.
A lot lighter too. I wore my friend's Batman costume that had a latex cape. I sear that thing weighed 30lbs. Felt like I gave one of my kids a shoulder ride for the entire night.

loving the sculpt of the chest piece! for the cape, i'd personally like to see a fabric similar to the batman begins/dark knight cape...there's just something about the way it flows freely that captures the romanticism of the superhero genre :) also, they used the fabric capes in the batman live arena shows (which i was lucky enough to go and see) and they looked great :) but if you're set on having a latex cape, i'd check the brotherhood of the bat forums...their archived topics are great with stuff like that :)

loving the sculpt of the chest piece! for the cape, i'd personally like to see a fabric similar to the batman begins/dark knight cape...there's just something about the way it flows freely that captures the romanticism of the superhero genre :) also, they used the fabric capes in the batman live arena shows (which i was lucky enough to go and see) and they looked great :) but if you're set on having a latex cape, i'd check the brotherhood of the bat forums...their archived topics are great with stuff like that :)
Thanks for the advice so far, everyone

If I were to go for a more fabric-like cape, what would be the best and most readily available type to go with. Preferably something I can order online or pick up at Joann's or something
Seems like a lightweight velvet material

Also, any advice on whether or not I should make this thing into a two pieces or one?
Also, any advice on the attachments for the suit to the body armor and the paint to use for the golden-bronze areas?

i've heard of people putting latex on satin for bat-capes...i don't really know the process as i've never done it, but i've always liked the idea of it as it would give the cape that leathery look whilst being quite light, i imagine :) if you wanted a "movie" look as per the batman '89 to '95, i've read an article on how the original capes were made. it was a long while ago, so i dont know if it's still about :S but basically, they used a thick (very expensive) wool that they laid on the floor and "painted" with layers of latex using paint rollers. once the layers had been applied, they had to fuse the seams together in a very specific way - can't remember the details, sorry - because stitching it would'nt have held and the cape would have torn. of course, the overall effect on film is great, and i know that people who want to do a SA '89 costume will do it...but i also know that a harness had to be worn under the suit just to attach the cape to; it was so heavy that it probably would have torn the costume off the actor if it had been directly attached without any other support! :p

sorry for rambling on, but i hope this has given you some info...and don't make the cape too heavy! haha!

Awesome dude!
How did you do the cowl? looks very well made
The normal method, sculpt, mold and casted in a plat silicone

i've heard of people putting latex on satin for bat-capes...i don't really know the process as i've never done it, but i've always liked the idea of it as it would give the cape that leathery look whilst being quite light, i imagine :) if you wanted a "movie" look as per the batman '89 to '95, i've read an article on how the original capes were made. it was a long while ago, so i dont know if it's still about :S but basically, they used a thick (very expensive) wool that they laid on the floor and "painted" with layers of latex using paint rollers. once the layers had been applied, they had to fuse the seams together in a very specific way - can't remember the details, sorry - because stitching it would'nt have held and the cape would have torn. of course, the overall effect on film is great, and i know that people who want to do a SA '89 costume will do it...but i also know that a harness had to be worn under the suit just to attach the cape to; it was so heavy that it probably would have torn the costume off the actor if it had been directly attached without any other support! :p

sorry for rambling on, but i hope this has given you some info...and don't make the cape too heavy! haha!

Well, I'm currently wrestling whether I should go full latex (ala 90's Batman) or the velvet, flocked look of the TDK trilogy. I'm currently leaning towards the Nolanverse look, but like i said, the material is very unique. So I am going to check out my local Joan's but not sure if I will find anything. I don't want to spend a fortune on just the cape, the suit alone already costs too much.

On another note, does any one have any experience casting these types of molds? I want to 'sandwich' the mold inbetween the mannequin but I'm not sure how to go about pouring/injecting the rubber afterwards.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back