Red Notice

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did anyone like Red Notice? I thought it would be great with the actors in it, but it came off, in my opinion, as a generic heist/action movie. The whole chase scene looked like they borrowed parts of it from Indy KOTCS. I also hope Ryan Reynolds is careful because he's starting to become one of those actors where you don't see a character and just go "Oh there's Ryan Reynolds doing his schtick."

I watched it the other day, but I agree. It was really lacking an emotional core, mostly because both Dwayne Johnson and Ryan Reynolds are just playing a cartoon of themselves instead of characters. It had some decent action and props, but it definitely wouldn’t be worth watching in a theater.

If it wasn’t for the thee ‘A’ list stars and an impressive production cost, the story was as comprehensible as anything put out by Asylum films. a never ending round of location, action, move to new location, action. Rinse and repeat. Watchable, but leave your brain at the door.

I watched it the other night and found it enjoyable overall. Yea, Ryan Reynolds & The Rock were not much different from any other role they'd done, but I thought that they had really good chemistry together. Gal Gadot, on the other hand, really did a good job, I got no Wonder Woman vibes from her at any point in the movie, she really seemed to be enjoying herself throughout the movie. However, I thought that her and The Rock didn't have very good chemistry together. They worked fine in some parts but others, not so much, and nowhere near as well as with Ryan Reynolds.

One thing that I didn't quite like was the car chase near the end, mainly because it didn't make sense, Given the context of the location, why would they have bothered having 2 kubelwagens there along with full loaded MP40s and a crate full of grenades? They also never truly explained how the 3 cars got into the location to begin. Oh sure, they do hypothesize on how they thought they might have gotten them in there, when you see the whole thing play out, you realize that their hypothesis is impossible.

In regards to production values, I disagree with the movie having good production values. They obviously cheaped out and filmed a lot on a sound stage with comped in backgrounds. To me, those comped scenes weren't done very well and were pretty obviously filmed against a blue/green screen. The the scene by the waterfall, while it didn't looked comp, it still screamed of soundstage to me, like something off of a '60 TV show.

Ryan Reynolds is an A lister, but he better be careful. Taking every and any role can turn you into a Nicolas Cage, where everyone gets sick of you.
An actor who is still an A lister (for 38 years), who seems to balance that better is Tom Cruise.

TazMan2000

Ryan Reynolds is an A lister, but he better be careful. Taking every and any role can turn you into a Nicolas Cage, where everyone gets sick of you.
An actor who is still an A lister (for 38 years), who seems to balance that better is Tom Cruise.

TazMan2000
I think that he'll be fine. he hasn't done a ridiculous number of movies so far and, unlike Nic Cage, he has his own production company, he owns some sort of brewery or distillery, and I believe he's the owner or part-owner of Mint Mobile. So even if his acting career falters, he has more than a few things to fall back on.

I think that he'll be fine. he hasn't done a ridiculous number of movies so far and, unlike Nic Cage, he has his own production company, he owns some sort of brewery or distillery, and I believe he's the owner or part-owner of Mint Mobile. So even if his acting career falters, he has more than a few things to fall back on.

I'm definitely not worried about him. I think his with his 150 million dollar net worth (2020), he won't be living too bad of a life. I'm just saying, I've seen in in a lot of movies lately. I know what they say, "You have to strike when the iron is hot", but he already made 3 movies this year.
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, FreeGuy and Red Notice. It feels almost like when Homer Simpson bowled a perfect game, and achieved his 15 minutes worth of fame, but pushed it too far. Heck, even Will Farrell refused to do Elf 2. You don't have to take 'every' script, Ryan.

TazMan2000

I'm definitely not worried about him. I think his with his 150 million dollar net worth (2020), he won't be living too bad of a life. I'm just saying, I've seen in in a lot of movies lately. I know what they say, "You have to strike when the iron is hot", but he already made 3 movies this year.
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, FreeGuy and Red Notice. It feels almost like when Homer Simpson bowled a perfect game, and achieved his 15 minutes worth of fame, but pushed it too far. Heck, even Will Farrell refused to do Elf 2. You don't have to take 'every' script, Ryan.

TazMan2000
3 movies this year isn't a whole lot, esp. when you figure that at least one of them was probably delayed from last year because of COVID. And soar, outside of Deadpool and Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, he hasn't done many sequels nor has he taken on anything that suggests that he's taking on anything and everything that comes his way.

3 movies this year isn't a whole lot, esp. when you figure that at least one of them was probably delayed from last year because of COVID. And soar, outside of Deadpool and Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, he hasn't done many sequels nor has he taken on anything that suggests that he's taking on anything and everything that comes his way.

During any other time, 3 movies wouldn't be a lot. During Covid, it seems like it is. Just my opinion.

TazMan2000

TazMan2000
He said he is taking time off thank god . He won’t be missed

Did you notice his gin in the movie?

I was like, "Ding! Product placement!" When I saw the bottle. We used his gin to make a Green Lantern drink durIng last St. PATTYS.

Gal Gadot's character was unlikable. At first I didnt like that, then I realized, that is EXACTLY what she was striving for. I can't dislike someone nailing their role, even though I didnt like the character, that was *mission accomplished* for her.

I can't blame actors for snatching the money & work while they can get it.

It's a misconception that actors have "made it" for decades as long as they get past the early one-hit-wonder phase.

Remember when Martin Lawrence was huge? Billy Bob Thornton? Meg Ryan? Halle Berry? Vince Vaughn? All these people were big stars for at least 5-10 years. Now their careers are way down from their peaks. Alec Baldwin shot that crew member because they were doing the movie on a Steven Seagal budget. Remember when Alec was playing Jack Ryan next to Sean Connery?

Pop-culture fame doesn't obey rules.

Ryan Reynolds keeps playing the same guy in everything. Isn't that exactly what Samuel L. Jackson has done for 30 years? Morgan Freeman? Ben Stiller? What could Samuel L. Jackson do (in terms of choosing roles) that would actually hurt his career? Nic Cage seems to be immune to bad movie damage too. But Tom Cruise isn't immune at all. Cruise couldn't indulge in steaming-turd movies without career consequences.

Ryan Reynolds may or may not be making bad choices lately. Top movie star careers are unpredictable.

Melissa McCarthy

Though I feel like Jason Statham should have won an award for his role in SPY. He took a total piss on his usual role . If you have not seen it, it was jaw-droppingly good.

I think Covid has left alot of industries having to re-think themselves or rot. Red Notice is junk food, no nutritional value.

but every now and then a little junk food is okay.

We watched this last night. Predictable. Not that funny. I wouldn’t even call it a good popcorn flick. Mind you, I typically enjoy DJ. Reynolds’s is hit and miss for me. Don’t mind seeing Gal on screen, but wasn’t a fan of her character.

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back