Red dwarf 'bigiature' panel

So i appreciate work has stalled a bit on this while i gather kits and identify parts etc, so i decided to make a larger test piece to use a few of the spare parts from the north cormorant kits i have and also to try a few more weathering and painting techniques.

I used the previous test piece in this new panel

Got the first layer of red primer on

Masked and painted the white area where the red dwarf name will go, i decided that this will be a cut away panel and will only show part of the name, its going to hang on my wall so kinda wanted it to be a thing that people have to work out what it is.

I put part of the text on, i think this size of text fits in with the airfix astronauts i have

I skipped a step in the pictures because I got into it and for got to take any but i weathered by masking off areas and dusting with black powder paint then fixing it with tamiya flat clear spray, a quick rub with wire wool and then mask different areas and repeat, i only did this twice and believe I have it right. It feels the right colour to me , any more weathering and it may get too dark, I may still do a bit more with the steel wool in some areas

But wait, someone is missing . I did a little hand painting on the area at the bottom of the 'R' and also kept it masked so it looks freshly painted. I sourced an airfix 1:72 astronaut kit which has some really good figures in it at just the right scale for this job .

Ill post some close ups of the figure when I get them but i painted it in matte black first , then silver , then flat clear, i also ended up doing a black wash on him to give the suit that grungy look.

All in all very happy with how it turned out, and I've kept the project moving along . I do feel that I may be shelving the main project until more parts are identified . But i do have enough spare parts to build quite a few of these in the mean time ;-)

here's a final pic with all the paint dried hanging on the wall

Last edited:
Just another quick post, in case anyone asks ' but how does he pain the rest of the letters if he's standing on that ledge'
I did do a bit of research into this and toyed with the idea of making him a platform , but after watching the series 1 opening credits he is standing exactly the same way :) on a ledge , with no way to reach higher. So I did it this way as kind of a nod to that

That's fantastic work I want one :D also he is in space can't he just float up to do the rest, of course if he is wearing moon boots to weigh him down then may have thrusters on them lol or change his boots later ;) lol that's the great thing about Red Dwarf they don't take themselves too seriously :)

Hey, in your 'green' section I have spotted several pieces from the 1/72 Leopold and Thor rail guns. If you don't have those two kits already, it's probably a good idea :)

Hey Tobot

I went and made up some line art for laser cutting the window frames, then I figured I'd do the Hex thing on the left. Of course someone will now figure out what the part was :) Let me know if you want the file and I'll email it over.
RD_2mm_Acrylic.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Back to the part search, does anyone know what the two parts upper right on this image are? Also what looks like an engine nozzle stuck into an unknown tank body :)
RD_Unknown_pieces.png

After finding the kit part used for the 'hex' section I changed my laser cut artwork to include some parts I didn't know what they were. The one part was from a full size 'Han in Carbonite' but I wasn't sure how to find one :) They came back great! Now I want to make more!
IMG_7035.JPG

I picked up the Tamiya M-41 last week, it's 100% the right piece.
So far I've only seen the upper body part, trimmed and used.

The base of an Airfix girder bridge is also used.

Picked up a piece of wood last week and cut to size, then had some fun this morning laying out some of the parts I have:
IMG_7993.jpg

I can also confirm that the Tamiya Gepard and Airfix Saturn V are used.

and... Tobot, come back!!

Attachments

• RD_Photo.JPG
    RD_Photo.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back