Hero Red 1 Auction (Greg Jein Collection)

Wow, some awesome reference photo's in that lot!

Man, they really put some overtime in on that paint job and weathering.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Is this the best-condition original Hero remaining? Red Five is in pieces in the archives, Red Three has a broken wing/mount, and I think Red Two is missing. Any others I'm forgetting about?

Is this the best-condition original Hero remaining? Red Five is in pieces in the archives, Red Three has a broken wing/mount, and I think Red Two is missing. Any others I'm forgetting about?
I remember reading that both an X-wing and a Y-wing were stolen during production.

I don’t know if they were hero or pyro models.

A no questions asked policy was enacted to recover the models but I don’t believe they ever were.

I wonder how much red one hero sells for considering the pyro sold for >$2M. Basically, this might be the only hero that shows up for auction for a very long time.

I remember reading that both an X-wing and a Y-wing were stolen during production.

I don’t know if they were hero or pyro models.

A no questions asked policy was enacted to recover the models but I don’t believe they ever were.

As I recall, this was before the missing Hero (at least the X) was painted. They made six, but only five were available for filming, or whatever the numbers are.

Just the facts (ma'am) that have been verified via photos or publications:

If you look at photos on stage while filming, at least Red 1 and 5 had the gels glued to the outside of the windows.

There were four heros made - Blue1/red 2, Red 1, Red 3, Red 5. There also appears to be an unfinished but wired/plumbed in progress hero lingering around up through Jedi pics.

Red 1 hero, Red 1 Pyro, Gold Leader (TIE Killer) Y-Wing, and a full complete Stormtrooper suit were stolen between Feb and March '77 pre-release (per an article published in a local newspaper published in August '77. We also have seen the internal ILM memo from Feb '77 that references the missing models asking for their return.

______

Facts confirmed by myself from direct conversations or my first hand confirmation (sorry I have to be slightly vague in a couple of instances):

Blue 1/Red 2 had a "glow up/restoration" in the mid to late 2000s and was gifted to a friend of Lucas', by Lucas - it is now in very inaccessible private hands.

Red 3 remains in the archives/museum, with all of it's patina from 40 years of use on sets (dulling sprays that darkened it, modifications, repairs, as well as just being exposed to light).

Red 5's shells came off the ship at some point post Jedi, and the top, bottom, and nose were at some point molded and cast (I have direct castings) - I have seen pics of the shells as separate pieces, but as of now no one can lay hands on the pieces. The wings, cockpit, armature all exist in the archives/museum but with one of the five has makrs greyed over (so it appears as red 4).

So that leaves Red 1, which it turns out was in Greg Jein's collection for many decades, packed away from light so amazingly enough it is the best example of what these birds looked like in 1976/77. Bright, colorful, beautiful. How Greg got it and when are not known, but we do know he did not steal the piece. We need to be careful and respectful with this distinction.

Another fact is that the Red 1 Pyro, an ANH TIE, the Y-Wing pattern, and a slew of other pieces over many years have sold at auctions with no problems.

The last and saddest fact for me is that I was slated to be there the day it was unearthed (Nov 5th of last year) but nooooo I decided to delay my trip as I had just had a colonscopy. So they facetimed me in and immediately hung up (LOL) but called back... so I could cry at my misfortune LOL. All joking aside and sadness that I coulda HELD IT IN MY ARMS, it has been and will be a tremendous boon for X-Wing fans, as a ton of data has been added to our understanding of how these were made, and how uniquely different all of the heroes were.

Here's video of the guys messing with me:

Here's my replica: Red 1 Hero X-Wing – Jason Eaton Studio

And a shout out to Ed and Craig for their ceaseless help IDing every single decal, which I dutifully scanned and redrew - the art is currently at the silkscreeners and I should have waterslides available in a couple of weeks (updated sheet that includes the hero and pyro Red 1 decals including all the hash marks)

I can't wait to see more replicas made of this incredible find!!!

I remember seeing the XWing + YWing models (Brussels, 1977) in that Expo organized by 20th Century Fox at the time of showing SW in theatres in the country. I was wondering why none had "glass" covering their windows. Now I know better;) I've always regretted not having the proper camera to photograph them as to identify which ones were sent overseas for that Expo:(

A fascinating find to be sure, but the obvious question is, how is this allowed to be auctioned? Wouldn't Lucasfilm still consider this to be stolen property? Shouldn't this be returned to them? Seems like a weird thing to do with a known stolen item.

I'm no law expert, but the statute of limitations on burglary in California is 3 years. I imagine that's about prosecuting a person, but I would imagine the rule would be similar regarding being able to seize the property if found. Perhaps a lawyer present can chime in.

Also, GL retained ownership of the archives after the Disney sale, so LFL and Disney would have no claim. It would be up to George to make one.

So that leaves Red 1, which it turns out was in Greg Jein's collection for many decades, packed away from light so amazingly enough it is the best example of what these birds looked like in 1976/77. Bright, colorful, beautiful...
So just to be clear, this bird has not been restored at all?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back