Recreation of Star Trek computer displays

JakeConhale

Here's something I've been working on in my spare time - the first of four planned displays.

Console 1 (2).jpg

It's still a work in progress, the lights REALLY didn't work how I expected them to and have some new LEDs on order.

The box is 11.5" x 11.5" x 6", and supposed to have cut pieces of metal along all corners. Just glued on at the moment but may drill screws in to keep them on in the future. Honestly, I was amazed this box came out anywhere near rectangular as it was my first time using my jigsaw on wood/plexiglass/metal.

The graphic is sandwiched between two layers of plexiglass, one transparent and the other darkened to help obscure the graphic when deactivated.

The other consoles will have blinking segments, I ran with this one first to test overall construction and prototype proof of concept before I get into programming sequences.

Everything is run off an Arduino Nano and a 12v power supply.

That looks great! If diffuse light is your goal, it might help to add some frosted plexiglass after the lights
Agreed, but I'm planning on having additional displays with isolating blinking lights and frosted glass may diffuse light into adjacent sections.

I've found an LED with a stated 100-120 viewing angle so I'm hoping those will diffuse better given my planned 5x5 grid.

We'll see when they get here.

Agreed, but I'm planning on having additional displays with isolating blinking lights and frosted glass may diffuse light into adjacent sections.

I've found an LED with a stated 100-120 viewing angle so I'm hoping those will diffuse better given my planned 5x5 grid.

We'll see when they get here.
Oh cool, i didnt even know such a light existed. Honestly, light is the biggest challenge cuz it can be such a pain in this way. Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together!

Oh cool, i didnt even know such a light existed. Honestly, light is the biggest challenge cuz it can be such a pain in this way. Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together!
Yep, I'm using Piranha Superflux LEDs - they are apparently made for signs and have a wide viewing angle.

20210713_001515.jpg20210713_001607.jpg20210713_001620.jpg20210713_002635.jpg

So, I'm 99% done with this project, here's what it looks like:
It's not perfect. I think the graphic is crooked and not sure I can re-orient it without tearing. The metal pieces don't quite line up and a piece of painters tape is caught in one corner. The soft feet and the metal angles for the rear corners still need to be added.

Worst of all, though, it's just plain DIM. One coworker I showed it to asked me "What does it look like when it's turned on" - not realizing it already was turned on. Think that's due to the thickness of the exterior plexiglass.

Things to revisit when I make the next three models with planned blinking lights, though not sure how soon that will be.

That said - I'm really happy with how it turned out. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's still pretty clean.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back