Recasting Out of Business Props Question...

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I appologise in advance for yet another recasting question on this board. I did look around for the answer first but couldn't find it, so I'm just gonna ask about it now. I'm also not sure if I'm posting this in the correct sub-forum.

What is the community (or, this particular boards) stance on items that are recast from companies that use to produce props but are no longer in business like ICONS or Master Replicas or Unobtainium? Some of these companies also had alot of props that were produced but never released for sale to the public, so some of those items are very rare. What if those items were recast giving collectors an opportunity to own a particular piece?

I've seen some items come up for sale that have been recast from companies like these, and I've wanted to know where this stands.

I know that it is generally frowned upon, escpecially since a few artists that worked at those companies are members here.

BUT there have been some recast props that seem to fly by okay: Icons Raptor Claw and such.

Let's hear from others....

Yeah,

Being a maker of Stormtrooper armour and helmets I wouldn't like someone doing it tome but then I'm in business right now.
There always seems to be one rule for one and anotherfor someone else. I've seen plenty of master Replicas props recasted and that seems to be accepted as does recasting CAP TK armour even though the permissions are rather murky.
I've always been in " why not ask " camp. If I ever want to copy/ recast something why not seek out the original person/maker and ask his/her permission or blessing. You'd be surprised just who might say "go ahead".

That is a very complicated question, with no good answer.

I would have a HUGE problem with people recasting MR products. I don't care if the company is out of business. That doesn't make it a "free-for-all".

Many people invested millions of dollars and tens-of-thousands of man-hours to bring these items to the public. Recasters don't get a free ride off of all of that hard work, simply because they know how to mix and pour RTV silicone, and had the balls to do it.

That even goes for Icons, and other companies I don't like. :)

If someone recast (not RECASTED...that is simply NOT a word, no matter HOW many times people try to use it) a MR piece, I would hunt them down, gut them like a fish, burn their corpse, subjugate their livestock, lay waste to their village, and wipe out their decendants. Their existance on this planet would be erradicated for all eternity.

It would become a Lifetime movie, with an accompanying Klingon opera sound track.

Or something like that.

Hey, you ASKED.

But that's just ME....

Taboo.

Wow after statement like that maybe you should sit down and have a little share time once in a awhile lol

It's already been allowed here, so despite the threats, it would seem "free-for-all" may just be the correct term.

It's really a shot in the dark these days. No real guidelines.

From a legal standpoint--isnt this pretty clear:

If someone made it and its still under copyright, then you cant recast it--thats infringement even if the company is out of business, someone still hold the rights.

Also, is it ethical? The consensus so far seems to be no.

However... and I am just throwing a wrench in here for discussion: If I wanted one of these fine props and they are not available, is it ok to buy a recast from someone who can make it availale to me? <--thats the murky part.

But I would say no, in general.

I would say yes/no and frown/smile upon it because it's ethical/morally reprehensible. It seems to be more acceptable/reviled if a ton of people/no one want/s it.
Now THAT should clear that up.
Laffo.

However... and I am just throwing a wrench in here for discussion: If I wanted one of these fine props and they are not available, is it ok to buy a recast from someone who can make it availale to me? <--thats the murky part.

Not too murky. The props were limited editions. If you missed out, you just have to find one that someone else is willing to part with.

Many people invested millions of dollars and tens-of-thousands of man-hours to bring these items to the public.

Well, the counter to that is that they were PAID for their dollars and investment hours. They have already been paid for it, and if someone recasts an MR product, they are not taking food off their table. it effects them in NO way. If a recasters product was competing with a licensed product, and putting their bottom line in jeopardy, then that is a different issue. but MR is out of business, and everyone has been paid, or not been paid in some cases. lol

Then again, I agree, it's wrong to recastedededed an MR piece, but I don't think that line of reasoning is compelling. Steve Dymszo showing up on your front door with a bowie knife? now THAT's a compelling reason.

That said, I've always believed that the true "ethics" behind recasting are this: If someone wants it, someone will recast it. I think it's great that the RPF discourages it, and offers recourse to those that do it, but at the end of the day, people just think differently about things. What may seem totally reasonable and fair may just not resonate with others. The OP basically said "But if it's rare and people want it, what's the harm??" showing that the boat has been missed. Eliminating rarity is not a compelling reason.

^^^ This is wisdom.

Personally, I would never buy an unauthorized recast of a product, or ever recast a product. It just seems...wrong.

^^^ This is wisdom.

Personally, I would never buy an unauthorized recast of a product, or ever recast a product. It just seems...wrong.

I don't get when people say this. Majority of the props offered on this board are non authorized. :confused When you say authorized. Do you mean by the studios or the person who cast the prop? I get the honor amongst thieves mentality and support it. We have a set standard in the community and it has worked well for the majority.

Last edited:
I will echo the above - No matter what you think about it personally, if a recater wants to recast an object, no matter WHAT it is, they are going to . Ebay is full of it. And even though "I" won't but it, there are enough people who will, that is keeps the recasting "business" going.

And for every "good" group mike we have here, all it takes is a few bad eggs to buy something in confidence from one person, and recast and sell copies to another person (Who may recast it again, etc - - -)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back