RECASTER ALERT

I'm sorry to hear of this. I've admired your GM helmet a few times, and it's one of the helmets that should be easy enough to scratch-build if someone wants one that badly.

I'm also sorry to hear of the shift in shipping to Canada. :( Are there no sanctions the 501st can take? I know there aren't a lot of Canadian members, but it should be a pretty tight community then, right? Regardless, Canada is still a big place (there are 32.5 million of us) and it kind of sucks to hear that one guy over in Quebec may have ruined a few chances for us "good guys" in the rest of the country to pick up new armor sometime. :angry

I'm not bashing, just disappointed at the fallout from the bad apple. Hopefully someone in "la belle province" can help out.

<div class='quotetop'>(FETTCLONE @ Jun 24 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]1267358[/snapback]</div>
I'm sorry to hear of this. I've admired your GM helmet a few times, and it's one of the helmets that should be easy enough to scratch-build if someone wants one that badly.

I'm also sorry to hear of the shift in shipping to Canada. :( Are there no sanctions the 501st can take? I know there aren't a lot of Canadian members, but it should be a pretty tight community then, right? Regardless, Canada is still a big place (there are 32.5 million of us) and it kind of sucks to hear that one guy over in Quebec may have ruined a few chances for us "good guys" in the rest of the country to pick up new armor sometime. :angry

I'm not bashing, just disappointed at the fallout from the bad apple. Hopefully someone in "la belle province" can help out.
[/b]

Dont get me wrong Fettclone I know Canada is a huge place and Im not in anyway saying all canadiancostumers are doing this.I actually live near the canadian border and have tons of friends up there...But some armorers and I are concerned of the blatant recasting being done by a small number of them...and like I said if the good guys up there dont want to be cut off due to one or a couple scumbag no talent hacks....then they will take care of the problem internally......at least we would hope they would.

I am more than a little put off by people saying "no shipping to Canada" simply because there was a Canadian recaster...there have been plenty US recasters, by the same standards should they not refuse to ship within the US as well? "One apple spoils the bunch"...give me a break...as if you can group all Canadians into one "bunch", which is what is being done, and basically saying that the actions of the few or one will set a standard for all. It's bad enough that many sellers (not pointing fingers at anyone here) use shipping to Canada or any other international destination to make a few more bucks on shipping or claiming that they need to charge extra because they have extra forms to fill out...wow, one customs sticker...so much work, but to now have people refuse to ship to Canada because they think that recasting should be dealt with by other Canadians is maddening.

Anyway, that aside, it sucks that you've been recast regardless of what nationality they were...please don't take it out on the rest of Canada though (not aimed at you speceifically).

Very mature of you, blacklist an entire country because one person from Quebec has recast some items. I'd like to know who these other prop makers you refer to are who you say plan to join you in your boycott.

You do realize, Canada is much larger geographically than the states and our population is more spread out, so we aren't all a tight group, we happen to be one large garrison (with the exception of Alberta). A lot of us keep in contact, but we only really see people in 3 hour radius on a semi-basis. I have met the Quebec guys, but only 3-4 times in 3 years. The 501st can't do anything about recasting, as much as it sucks. But how is it "the good guys" responsibility to stop recasting in order to not be blacklisted? Seems like a pretty unfair way to deflect the responsibility of stopping recasters onto people who aren't involved.

You said it yourself, it's from a small number of people. I don't think I'd be crazy to say more people from the states have recasted your or other people's work. Alienating an entire country is probably the worst way to try and stop a recaster. Skygunbro, I realize you are frusterated with the recast of your work and I would definitely be upset if I were in your shoes. But deciding not to ship to Canada is not a fair way to try and stop it. I have never ordered from you and I don't know that ever will have to, but if I were I don't want myself or others to be refused because someone who recast your helmet lives on my side of the border, nine hours away from me.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jango_Fett_Jr @ Jun 24 2006, 08:11 PM) [snapback]1267437[/snapback]</div>
Very mature of you, blacklist an entire country because one person from Quebec has recast some items. I'd like to know who these other prop makers you refer to are who you say plan to join you in your boycott.

You do realize, Canada is much larger geographically than the states and our population is more spread out, so we aren't all a tight group, we happen to be one large garrison (with the exception of Alberta). A lot of us keep in contact, but we only really see people in 3 hour radius on a semi-basis. I have met the Quebec guys, but only 3-4 times in 3 years. The 501st can't do anything about recasting, as much as it sucks. But how is it "the good guys" responsibility to stop recasting in order to not be blacklisted? Seems like a pretty unfair way to deflect the responsibility of stopping recasters onto people who aren't involved.

You said it yourself, it's from a small number of people. I don't think I'd be crazy to say more people from the states have recasted your or other people's work. Alienating an entire country is probably the worst way to try and stop a recaster. Skygunbro, I realize you are frusterated with the recast of your work and I would definitely be upset if I were in your shoes. But deciding not to ship to Canada is not a fair way to try and stop it. I have never ordered from you and I don't know that ever will have to, but if I were I don't want myself or others to be refused because someone who recast your helmet lives on my side of the border, nine hours away from me.
[/b]

Well obviousley you didnt read the post through I said not all canada....Im not going to black list canada...just the few that are causing this problem...I guess I should have been more specific....For that I appologize.....
I realize the 501st doesnt have the time to police everything that goes on but my point was if people in the Garrison arent able to get items because of one or two people then it might be dealt with internally....
And I agree with recasters in the USA there are plenty of them as well so I shouldnt have made such a broad statement ...anyway I hope you now understand what I was trying to say.

You told me in your email:
"And as a result of this and all the other peoples stuff he's copied ..myself and a few other prop makers are no longer selling or shipping anything to Canada...like the old saying one apple ruins the bunch....."

I don't know if you weren't being specific or changing your decision. I personally don't appreciate threats of such sort, I really wish you could be more specific when you say some other prop makers.

David has recast several parts to my knowledge, but that knowledge is very limited due to his proximity and the fact that I've hardly even met the guy. The fact that he has a 501st ID doesn't give us any right to tell him what to do with the props and costumes he buys and subsequently recasts. If recasting were an issue for the 501st, I bet the majority of the group would be booted for wearing armour that was recast one way or another. I am only the membership and web liason for Canada, so I didn't participate in the discussions about our stance on recasting, so hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

The rest of my arguement still stands though, if you're boycotting Quebec or all of Canada, you're still treating all the "good guys" unfairly when they aren't even involved by putting the responsibility on us to stop him. Again, I do realize this sucks for you and I'm not a fan of recasting, but there is little the 501st can do about it. I understand what you are trying to say and I really hope I'm not coming off angry at you, I am sympathetic with your cause, but at the same time frusterated that some people may suffer because of one person's actions.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jango_Fett_Jr @ Jun 24 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]1267437[/snapback]</div>
I have never ordered from you and I don't know that ever will have to, but if I were I don't want myself or others to be refused because someone who recast your helmet lives on my side of the border, nine hours away from me.
[/b]

I have ordered several times from Sky, and he is the most stand up guy I know. I back ya Sky if you dont ship North.

You told me in your email:
"And as a result of this and all the other peoples stuff he's copied ..myself and a few other prop makers are no longer selling or shipping anything to Canada...like the old saying one apple ruins the bunch....."

Im confused cause I never emailed anyone saying the above...I did originally post that in this thread but agree not to blackball everyone because of one or a couple people.........
And as far as the other makers I spoke with several people today that called me....whether they intend on not selling as they told me thats up to them to announce...And is no way what I said to be deemed as a threat to anyone and I understand your concern and frustation as well.....
Like I said the 501st is a not a police force and I dont expect them as a entity to do anything...but on the local/garrison level I would think that something should be said at least.......
I dont know how many more ways I can explain this......
I just basically wanted it made public this person is doing this yet again........with it seems no regard...anyway I appologize if I ruffled some feathers But back on topic this guy copied something I made and did all the research on and will probably walk away once again without anyone saying anything to him about it....

<div class='quotetop'>(skygunbro @ Jun 24 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]1267443[/snapback]</div>
Well obviousley you didnt read the post through I said not all canada....Im not going to black list canada...just the few that are causing this problem...I guess I should have been more specific....For that I appologize.....

[/b]

Unfortunatly it did sound pretty bad and that would be the exact same thing as saying your not going to ship to anyone in SOCA because you found out someone was recasting your stuff in that area of Cailifornia.

The logic dosn't make any sence and it is no differnt.

My 2 cents,

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 24 2006, 09:53 PM) [snapback]1267479[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(skygunbro @ Jun 24 2006, 04:25 PM) [snapback]1267443[/snapback]

[/b]

Unfortunatly it did sound pretty bad as that would be the exact same thing as saying your not going to ship to anyone SOCA because you found out someone was recasting your stuff in that area of Cailifornia.

It dosn't make any sence and it is no differnt.

My 2 cents,

Lynn
[/b][/quote]

Ya know what Im the one that got ripped off here not Girard so if you want to defend a recaster by all means go ahead......just like you have the right not to buy form someone I have the right not to sell to certain people.....nuff said

I'm not defending anyone, your logic is like saying that your not going to sell anything to the city or state that Chaucer44 lives in because he recast stuff, it dosn't make any sence.

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Jun 24 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]1267484[/snapback]</div>
I'm not defending anyone, your logic is like saying that your not going to sell anything to the city or state that Chaucer44 lives in because he recast stuff, it dosn't make any sence.

Lynn
[/b]
How many times do I need to regurgitate this.....I originally said that... and yes it doesnt make sense...thats why I reverted my postion and basically said that I wouldnt sell to him or known associates of his.....anyway Im over this ....should have never said anything cause obviously no one cares .......

Maybe it's the overall attitude of "there's nothing we can do about it" and "it's not my problem" that turns people off to shipping to Canada. It doesn't give a person much sense of security of stopping the problem from running rampant, when the only thing that seems to be of importance is what's "unfair" to them. Try being a little more supportive. Coming up with one possible way to help is better than coming up with a dozen reasons why you can't, or spending all your time and energy making comparisons and explanations of why it's unfair to you.

Looks like a can of worms opened up here after I posted. My apologies if it seems I don't care about the central issue (your helmet being recast), this was never the case.

Thanks for clarifying your position, Skygun. What was done is wrong, and I don't think anyone should be buying anything this guy may have to sell for some time, recast or not, to get the point across.

Bottom line, it's wrong that this guy has stolen your hard work and time. You made the effort and took the time to take something visual and make it a three-dimensional work of art. No-one has any right to benefit from this but you. You paid for materials and took time out from your life to make this piece, and that should always be commended. I certainly respect you for it. I know I'd be upset if it was my own work too, and I think you're fully justified about how you feel. If there's anything I can do from here please feel free to let me know. Personally, I don't think it's a case of "no-one cares or is willing to do anything". If it is, I'm disappointed, too.

Thanks for letting the rest of us know about this as well. Now we all know what to expect in dealing with this individual, which is good for all of us. :)

"Blame Canada. Blame Canada." Sorry... had to. :lol

Anyway, I back you on this Sky 100%. You are a talented prop maker and a very honest person. It's unfortunate that you've had to take this step and even more unfortunate that people are giving you grief over it. :unsure

Listen up, Canucks... I understand your frustration with Sky's decision and others who have done the same. But the simple fact of the matter is that he has a right to refuse to offer product to ANYONE ANYWHERE. He's the creator and the maker of these items. If he decided he wanted to refuse to ship something to anyone named "Larry" or anyone with blue eye it's his God-given right. Pretty simple, really.

Besides, he has already sufficiently given his reasons. Lay off.

Let's see we caught him recasting Glovers armor and TC9948's helmet last December. I wonder who's snowtrooper armor he recasted to get the armor for the kit?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back