(really low)budget green ranger build - now on dummy - final budget: 98.20 €

Re: (really low)budget green ranger build - helmet 85% shield 50% /cost-31.10€

so, lotso progress today as i returned yesterday from my skiing trip

today, i bought the colors (mostly), dyed the suit, and started spraypainting.
now, im not 100 % happy with the spray paint, especially because the green had a nozzle malfunction and it was really hard to work with it.
i think i got an even coat, but its nowhere close to perfect.
also, the cloth dye decided to **** with me and did not dye the suit equally, so it has some light spots, but it will do for the club
so: helmet is green, shield is gold, boots are white, armcuffs are white, and gold, suit is green.
still to do: sew on the diamond on the suit (as soon as the suit is dry)
add the detailing to the different parts.

i also need to buy a white belt on monday, because i couldnt find one yet (well i did but its not very good, it will do if i dont find anything else. also need to find the hat for under the helmet, or alternatively sew a neck guard from spare fabric, because i wont be wearing the helmet most of the time anyway.
i didnt take pics of the suit yet, as its still hanging in my shower to dry.

total money spent today:
gold: 5.50
green: 5
white: 5
Primer: 8.50
boots: 11
white shirt for diamond parts and spare fabric: 3

so, today is a total of 38 bucks. which makes it a total of 69.50

still to buy: grey/silver, red, belt, hoodie

i saw a silver paint bottle for 2.50, but the store was closed today, and so i will have to get it on monday. im thinking, as i only need about the size of a fingernail of red, that i can borrow some nail polish for that, if any of my female friends provide it :D the best belt i found today was 5.50. the hoodie i couldnt find yet, so probably made of spare parts

i may need to buy another white, which will be another 5, so total it will come to 83.50, if all works out.

Re: (really low)budget green ranger build - helmet 95% shield 99% /cost-69.50 €

and i forgot the pics :D

as you can see i also accidentally colored my hair golden xD

That´s great work!

Instead of the thinned PVA glue you could also use some dry wall / plaster sealant

Tiefgrund

At least I thought that might be the best solution, but then I found this article here: [TMP] "Gypsum plaster sealer?" Topic

So, PVA seems to do the job as well. But then it should also work with wallpaper glue, maybe even better. Damn, now I feel like I need to give this a try. But when I remember your story about your whole apartment being covered in dust from sanding ...

next time i will sand in the basement. its not very nice down there and i dont have a power plug, but for hand sanding, it will do.
i am painting there as well, so meh :D

i didnt know i could use it, but now i dont care, as i cant paint in my flat.

ok im pretty pissed now...
i just started detailing, and after applying another color, was wondering why it started to run.
funny thing is, morons at the store sold me different paints, which cant be used with each other. problem is, now its too late. damage is done. also the masking tape they sold me, doesnt mask, paint runs under it. now i will have a dirty sticky paintjob, because there is no way in hell i can fix this till tuesday, if at all, because im pretty sure i cant strip paint from dry wall filler. i will let it cure completely till tomorrow, and will try to fix the damage, but at this point, i dont think it will be perfect till tuesday. still cool, but crappy execution, which i despise.

well, at least i learned that you shouldnt trust those shop guys, and read everything on the product...

ok im pretty pissed now...
i just started detailing, and after applying another color, was wondering why it started to run.
funny thing is, morons at the store sold me different paints, which cant be used with each other. problem is, now its too late. damage is done.

Damn. What types of paints? Go with acrylics next time.

also the masking tape they sold me, doesnt mask, paint runs under it. now i will have a dirty sticky paintjob, because there is no way in hell i can fix this till tuesday, if at all, because im pretty sure i cant strip paint from dry wall filler.

I´d say you can sand it off. Wipe it off, scrape the rest off, apply some of the drywall dust to the rest and sand it off.

To get a clean line with crappy masking tape you should try and paint the edge of the applied masking tape in the color that is beneath the masking tape, i.e. the masked off area. The paint will run under the masking tape and dry, sealing off the small holes and stopping the other paint from running under the tape. Another method would be to "stipple" along the edges of the tape with an almost dry paint brush with little paint on it. it may take some time to get an even strip of paint along the masking tape, but after the stippling near the masking tape is done you can paint the larger area with broader strokes, not having to worry about the tape since you won´t touch it with the full paint.

i will let it cure completely till tomorrow, and will try to fix the damage, but at this point, i dont think it will be perfect till tuesday. still cool, but crappy execution, which i despise.

well, at least i learned that you shouldnt trust those shop guys, and read everything on the product...

Good luck, go out, have a beer, kiss a girl, parteee ! ;)

:thumbsup

most are acrylics, but there is one different one, and it even says on the can: dont use with acrylics, but in the last line.
i didnt even know there were different types till today :D

so, im allmost done!
tomorrow is D-Day, i have about 3 more hours to work on this before putting it to use.

still to do -
papercraft belt buckle- shouldnt take too long, it only has like 5 folds, its nothing impressive, but it will do for one day. there was no time to model a right one and stuff. maybe for my display later on

Belt - i got a 5 bucks belt, its not wide enough, but i had to get something on short notice, as i wasnt able to sew one in time. will sew one for display, but thats later on. so i will just be adding the black lines, cutting it to size, and put in velcro in the back

Helmet detailing - the helmet is 99 % finished. i just need to touch up the visor, as it has some paint stains from spray debris, because of the incompatible colors. i will probably just go over those stains with black sharpie, you cant see a difference anyway. also, the lines and nostrils will be done in fine sharpie

i hope i can find a printer in time tomorrow, as my printer is dead, and all my friends dont have a color printer xD. print shop for 1 copy ftw :D

i learned so much from this build. its my first complete project ever, i have some in various stages of completion, but this one is my first to finish
i learned that sewing isnt that hard, learned to look at what colors you get, get the right masking tape, and lots of stuff

i will probably die from the fumes i inhaled while painting, because my respirator gave in after 1 day, and i couldnt get a new filter in time.

the budget didnt go up a lot since last time, i bought another can of white, a can of grey, and the belt, which comes to a sum of 15 more bucks, which makes a total of 94.50 euro. i may buy a thick sharpie tomorrow to go over the visor because i only have a fine one for lines. but it will still stay under 100 bucks. and that was the limit.

so, here are some pics of the finished pieces:

Re: (really low)budget green ranger build - finished - final budget: 98.20 €

and its done. just in time. im gonna suit up now, and hopefully get some pics taken today :D

overall im quite happy with it, i had to print out the belt buckle in a copyshop, which cost me 3.70, but didnt need the sharpie, so i stayed below 100 bucks.

here it is all laid out on the bed, hope you like it :)

That came out really nice. Especially for under 100 bucks!

Yeah really... I'm sure there are folks over at Rangerboards cursing your name right now, lol!

ok this is while wearing it, i will probably get a better shot tomorrow. just went home to change as its really hard to wear in a crowd and i keep hitting people, who are then pissed.

so im switching to something more comfortable.

well after open back operation on my duct tape dummy, i finally got it to stand up straight again, and so i put the ranger costume on it, so you can see a full image. the chest is not quite full it seems, but it will do for now :)

this is fantastic! i made my chest piece out of cardboard too. its good to see other costumes done on a lower budget. you should turn this in to a tutorial

Great job! I should have followed your thread more closely!
I have a Pink ranger helmet for my daughter and am going to the store to purchase ingredients for the paper mache clay I will be using to coat my pep! Wish me luck!

love it eyeof i had no idea you where making a green ranger to any tips on the helmet ? pitty your not in the uk would be so cool to get a pic of you in your suit with me in my realistic ranger (as im calling it) we would look awesome together

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back