REAL Highlander TV series katana.

DavidS

Sr Member
I hear a bit of talk from time to time on this forum about swords, but havent heard Highlander mentioned much.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to plug a good friend of mines site.
His name is Sal D'Aquila the prop maker for the first season of the highlander TV series. As true fans will know, the sword that duncan used in season one and part of season two was different from the later (crappy) stainless steel bladed Marto "sword of the dragon". This First season sword was designed and made by Sal D'Aquila. He offers this handle for sale on his website mounted on high quality, tradtionally made japanese style blades made by Paul Chen.
his website is http://www.pointgallery.com/
Sal is a really nice guy and he was even kind enough to post my review of the musashi on his website found under the "new review on swordforum" link....
They are fairly expensive in the general sword world, but for a strongly built peice of art such as this, they are well worth it.

In addtion to the Musashi katana i bought from Sal, he was kind enough to make me a custom matching Wakizashi (short sword)
here is my set

new1.JPG

Arg, I've wanted that thing for years now. I'm sure when I finally have the money to spend on something like that, they will be unavailable and I will kick my own ass for a long time after. Thats such a beautiful piece..I want one so bad :(

Awesome, awesome sword.

I have a Musashi - S and love it. Really is a work of art. Must have mine close to 2 years now maybe? Not even sure, time moves so fast, but its close to 2 if not over.

Great looking wakizashi David. Know if Sal is interested in doing any more of those? I'd love to turn my one Katana into a set.

James

he might.........
the Musashi S was made with the shinto blades.
The newest Shintos have Bo Hi (fullers) so it wouldnt match for you.

Sal's a great guy and you really need to see the High-Scale Blades he is doing now.

I have a Musashi S and I am hoping he will re-do Sword#182 I think it was.

If I had seen that I would have bought it on the Spot..

Beautiful blades. They're incredibly cheap too considering they're hand forged, and traditionally clay tempered too.

Is the steel also folded? If so then these must be the cheapest authentically forged blades I've ever seen. Very cool.

Originally posted by apollo@Nov 4 2005, 04:41 PM
Sal's a great guy and you really need to see the High-Scale Blades he is doing now.

I have a Musashi S and I am hoping he will re-do Sword#182 I think it was.

If I had seen that I would have bought it on the Spot..
[snapback]1110001[/snapback]​

hehehhee, stay tuned, I *might* know the guy that bought sword #182.........

let me put it this way, I was born in 1982. My first musashi shown about is #82...... and im into number sets.......... hehehehe

Originally posted by musashi@Nov 4 2005, 07:14 PM
Beautiful blades. They're incredibly cheap too considering they're hand forged, and traditionally clay tempered too.

Is the steel also folded? If so then these must be the cheapest authentically forged blades I've ever seen. Very cool.
[snapback]1110084[/snapback]​

hey Paul chen blades are made in China, so the production costs are low for what they are.
Their regular line of swords are sorta hit or miss on quality, but Bugei.com carries an exclusive line of folded Paul Chen Hanwei swords that are really superior.
The "regular" blades that Sal uses on his musashis are the "practical katana plus" blades, which are pretty nice, and he does inspect them so your sure to get a nice blade, but the "limited edition" ones hes doing now on the high end blades are super nice...... i cant wait until i get my #182 Bushido Musashi....... OOPs. i didnt say that..?.?

Originally posted by Reaper57@Nov 4 2005, 10:51 PM
guess i wil stick to my 2nd and 3rd season "crappy" Marto. :angel

john :cool
[snapback]1110170[/snapback]​

hey bud. i have it.
it was one of my first swords.
I even have the taiwanese knockoff of the marto.........

the only reason i call it "crappy" is because Ive spoken with Sal, and i get the impression, he sorta got the ruff end of that deal.
to me the Musashi is the "REAL" highlander TV series sword.... when they show movied to France in the second season, its sorta like the dropped Sal.......
he never said those exact words, but the Marto just seems like a copy to me....

Well Marto's were Screen-Used and actually were used more than Sals Kat although both can be labeled 'Cannon'

As far as Sal getting the 'business' of course he did. Davis-Panzer gave EVERYBODY including Adrian Paul the 'business' on that Series.

Thats what Producers are supposed to do. :lol

Post some Pics of 182 when you get her.

Be glad you saw her before me or it would have been me doing the laughing. :D

Originally posted by David Stokes+Nov 5 2005, 06:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Stokes @ Nov 5 2005, 06:01 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Reaper57
@Nov 4 2005, 10:51 PM
guess i wil stick to my 2nd and 3rd season "crappy" Marto. :angel

[snapback]1110170[/snapback]​

hey bud. i have it.
it was one of my first swords.
I even have the taiwanese knockoff of the marto.........

the only reason i call it "crappy" is because Ive spoken with Sal, and i get the impression, he sorta got the ruff end of that deal.
to me the Musashi is the "REAL" highlander TV series sword.... when they show movied to France in the second season, its sorta like the dropped Sal.......
he never said those exact words, but the Marto just seems like a copy to me....
[snapback]1110431[/snapback]​
[/b]

no offense taken, :)

just gotta pick some. :p

at least my Marto does not have that cute red jewel in the hilt like some. :lol

Funny this should pop up...

I know this is off topic, but I have to tell it.

Yesterday, my mother was over visiting and she mentioned she was going to a farmer's market. She asked if I needed anything, and I of course answered "A Highlander's Sword" knowing that farmer's markets are full of them. Anyway, I said it in jest as my wife was there and I know she would never let me have one. So to make a long story short, my Mom stops by today and drops off one of the fake Highlander swords... She only paid $30.00 for it, but it was nice that she still thinks and listens to her son.

The sword isnt that bad, though I would never swing it as it looks like it would come apart if I did. It is the version with the open mouth dragon and red ruby type gem in the hilt. I am sure you all know the one I am talking about.

Anyway, I would love to pick up a real one some day :)

Thanks for the info David, and everyone else.

Tom

Every chance I get I talk about my Musashi sword here. It is great. I got #150.

David,

For some reason, I thought you sold all your Highlander swords(I've been lurking on the Swordforum for years as well)

No no, I still have every stinkin last one of them.
I have over 40 swords in my collection and since i started collecting, i think i have only sold probably 2 or 3 swords....

BTW, for anyone who likes Connor macleods sword,
WWW.filmswords.com has just recently finished their prototype that they have been working on for nearly 4 years.

HIII-2.jpg

They offer all three movie versions of the hilts, and forged blades. The Hilts have been carved by Jose De braga, so they are highly detailed, but $3,000 per sword might be a bit high for most prop collectors, and to most sword collecters a much higher grade sword than offered there can be found elsewhere........ Maybe they will drop the price on them. like they did the Conan swords....

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back