Re-make of "Dune"

I only recognize 4 them. The rest I have no idea of who they are and hope they can carry the roles. Since I read the books long before any movies were made back in the 80's and later, I already have ideas in my head of what the characters should be like and what should happen in the movie. That was why I was disappointed with the different versions that have been done so far.

agreed - the movies that have come before were quite lacking although the syfy mini-series were "better' they were still not what the Book deserved. That being said, the cast is full of very good actors. I'm hopeful that the story adaptation is up to snuff.

Jedi Dade

As I understand it, this is only the first half of the "Dune" novel and there have been nothing said about even trying to make the second half of it.
So, imagine Peter Jackson making the first Lord of the Rings movie with none others coming and when asked, he says, "I'll let someone make the rest..."
From what I've heard, that's what will happen with Dune. About halfway through the movie is where the story for Paul is just starting to turn around from a tale of woe.

Yea. TBD exactly how much of in this movie.
But it's 2.5 his long, so maybe a full story.

And yes. Paul is still really getting his legs under him at the midway point of the book.

And lets not forget the 2nd book, Dune Messiah, where things really get going. They all seem to want to do Dune and may have had plans to do the next few books but never did.

IIRC at the half way point Paul is really introduced to the Fremen... His journey up has a long way to go ;)

I've heard rumors that it ends after the Jamis fight or shortly thereafter.

Jedi Dade

IIRC at the half way point Paul is really introduced to the Fremen... His journey up has a long way to go ;)

I've heard rumors that it ends after the Jamis fight or shortly thereafter.

Jedi Dade
Yea, theres reviews from a couple people who saw early screeners saying such. It's a good place if you have to do it. It will also have both the movies end with a Paul duel, which is a neat mirrored theme.

So, full disclosure I know nothing of this story. I'm old enough to remember when the Lynch film came out, but I never saw it. Never read the book or watched the SyFy miniseries either. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in this film is because of the cast. Having seen the trailers now I am so pumped for this! Can't wait to see it in IMAX!

This is one of those times where I read the book because my old man told me I ought to, and liked it well enough, but it didn't really stick with me and I didn't ever follow up with any sequels. I only vaguely remember the plot, and I don't recall the writing giving me a really good feel for the look of the world or its tech. Which I guess makes sense given how wildly different this production looks from the overall style of the 80's movie. Lots of room for interpretation I guess.

With that out of the way, this movie looks really good and it's full of actors I like. I'm kind of hoping it will give me a reason to go back and try the book again with a couple of decades on me since the last read.

So, full disclosure I know nothing of this story. I'm old enough to remember when the Lynch film came out, but I never saw it. Never read the book or watched the SyFy miniseries either. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in this film is because of the cast. Having seen the trailers now I am so pumped for this! Can't wait to see it in IMAX!
I'm actually a little envious of you - reading Dune for the first time as a kid- changed what I thought what "books" could be. The story (in the book) is different form anything you've seen/read/heard before (although people have been ripping it off forever - including George Lucas), super complex, with a TON of important characters, not just fluff. The "world" it created set the standard for what became the term "World-Building" in literature and movies. The only other book that comes close in this regard is Lord of the Rings, and for my money LOTR is a distant second in making me believe this story I was reading could be a "real" place... IMHO.

Yes please - see the Movie... But also read the Book its spectacular.

Jedi Dade

This is one of those times where I read the book because my old man told me I ought to, and liked it well enough, but it didn't really stick with me and I didn't ever follow up with any sequels. I only vaguely remember the plot, and I don't recall the writing giving me a really good feel for the look of the world or its tech. Which I guess makes sense given how wildly different this production looks from the overall style of the 80's movie. Lots of room for interpretation I guess.

With that out of the way, this movie looks really good and it's full of actors I like. I'm kind of hoping it will give me a reason to go back and try the book again with a couple of decades on me since the last read.
I'm the opposite. I read the book when I was 10 or 11, and I can still see the images I imagined when reading it as a kid.
Those images are bright and sunny and colorful and ornate - like Moorish architecture in Morroco.
The art direction in this film looks dark and desaturated and oversimplified, compared to what I saw in my imagination. It looks like a remake of the David Lynch film to me, more than a reimagining of the source material.

I'm very disappointed in the art direction.
They should have hired the Game of Thrones art team.

To me what stood out in the books that made it so believable was all the little cultural things/superstitions/traditions that the Fremen had all revolving around "water discipline". it made you think that if you actually lived in a place that had no water - what lengths would you go to conserve it... a thousand little reminders throughout the book that are subtle, but bring you back to the place this place has no water... and the most important thing "here" is water not spice - which is the most important thing to everyone else.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. I read the book when I was 10 or 11, and I can still see the images I imagined when reading it as a kid.
Those images are bright and sunny and colorful and ornate - like Moorish architecture in Morroco.
The art direction in this film looks dark and desaturated and oversimplified, compared to what I saw in my imagination. It looks like a remake of the David Lynch film to me, more than a reimagining of the source material.

I'm very disappointed in the art direction.
They should have hired the Game of Thrones art team.
I too read Dune when it was published. Was a little older at that time. As a fan of science fiction movies, I look forward to the Dune remake. Must agree that the previews seem to be of the same mold. Book offers so many rich themes with its water focus, worms, spice, and the math involved behind folding space.

I really liked the trailer even though it felt a bit strange that the dialogue is so modern. The Lynch movie took lines from the novel verbatim, this one seems to go on its own way which I can certainly appreciate. I hope it will have a great score but not a fan of Hans Zimmer, the TOTO score really captured the world for me and so did Klepacki's in the Dune games.
Anyway, bring on October, I literally cannot wait this movie.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back