Re-make of "Dune"

I don't think it matters a ton. I mean, yeah, Keynes is supposed to have been a failed mahdi in the books, but (1) I don't think that's necessarily essential to the story (apart from the book, it's never really been adapted), and (2) I don't see a reason why you can't have the mahdi be a woman just as easily as a man.

I mean, yeah, it's a change, but...so what?

Kynes' gender only really matters in the context of the very specific fremen traditions that are covered in the book. none of those were brought up in part 1, so unless part 2 is going to hammer them home, then it doesn't contradict anything. Once you pull those (relatively surplus) elements out of the movie, casting Kynes is more about picking someone that will have good chemistry with Paul and Jessica, and give a good performance, than anything else.

"We have both lost our fathers." Is a little more important than an obscure tradition. It was an emotional tie between a prince and a princess. It helped cement the relationship between Paul and Chani at a critical time.

I don't think it matters a ton. I mean, yeah, Keynes is supposed to have been a failed mahdi in the books, but (1) I don't think that's necessarily essential to the story (apart from the book, it's never really been adapted), and (2) I don't see a reason why you can't have the mahdi be a woman just as easily as a man.

The prophecy planted by the Missionaria Protectiva specifically calls out the Mahdi as a boy. That's why all the Fremen natives were interested in Paul as much as Jessica. So Kynes can no longer be a failed Mahdi in the movie version unless they alter the prophecy.

The studio insisted to D V that he do a gender race swap them removed her from the Chinese market poster ... What an insult to the actress ! Not the first time a person has been erased from marketing because of the colour of their skin ! Studios pretend to be moral but are just money hungry creeps !

The prophecy planted by the Missionaria Protectiva specifically calls out the Mahdi as a boy. That's why all the Fremen natives were interested in Paul as much as Jessica. So Kynes can no longer be a failed Mahdi in the movie version unless they alter the prophecy.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying: they can just alter the prophecy to simply not specify sex. Alternatively, they can just alter Kynes to not have been a "failed" Lisan al Gaib.
The studio insisted to D V that he do a gender race swap them removed her from the Chinese market poster ... What an insult to the actress ! Not the first time a person has been erased from marketing because of the colour of their skin ! Studios pretend to be moral but are just money hungry creeps !
I don't think anyone's under any illusions about studios being "moral" after the way they've behaved in the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. I think they focus on what they think will sell. Period. They're utterly amoral (and in some cases immoral) and entirely concerned with maximizing profits over all else.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back