Ranger 3

ringa

Now that my Star Destroyer is done, I had a chance to move on to other models. Here's a project that has been waiting 10 months for me to get at it.

I picked up this Timeslip Ranger 3 at WonderFest last year. I know there's not a lot of excitement for Buck's old ship, but I always liked it, and when I saw it I couldn't resist.

By the way, I want to say a special thanks to Gene for posting this:
http://www.therpf.com/f10/ranger-3-b-foam-cautionary-tale-134114/
I had the very same idea and was that close to doing the same thing to this model! I had the foam ready to go, but first I did a search for photos of Ranger 3 for paint references and happened to find Gene's post. It saved this model and my sanity.

I wanted this model not just because I am a fan of the ship, but I thought it would be a fun paint. At this point I have the ship in the 'just launched' look. I have all the paints to do the heavy '500 year old' weathering, but I kind of like the look it has now. Everyone does the scorched look, so I will think about whether or not I will take it all the way.

Well, here are photos of the model after painting it this much...

Ranger3-1.jpg

Ranger3-2.jpg

Ranger3-3.jpg

Ranger3-6.jpg

Ranger3-7.jpg

Last edited:
On the first picture, I thought it was a screen capture and a very good one. Good work and photography! BTW, I usually go straight to the pictures and read afterwards.

By the way, I want to say a special thanks to Gene for posting this:
http://www.therpf.com/f10/ranger-3-b-foam-cautionary-tale-134114/
I had the very same idea and was that close to doing the same thing to this model! I had the foam ready to go, but first I did a search for photos of Ranger 3 for paint references and happened to find Gene's post. It saved this model and my sanity.

Always happy to take one for the team.... :lol

Gene

Alaways thought it was weird why this was just a one man ship and Buck Rogers was sent on a mission by himself ?!

Very nicely done in the clean version. It has just enough subtle weathering done to it to not make it look too clean (like its been used on a test flight before Buck's mission).

I've got the kit as well and I've been waiting for the proper time to start building it as well. I am kind of divided as to if I want to do it clean or as the 500 year old weathered version myself since both have their appeals. Since so many people seem to like doing the 500 year weathered version, after seeing yours I might go clean as well.

Speaking of Ranger 3, I've heard it had wingtip lights, but I have yet to find a decent screen capture showing them. Anyone have firm evidence of that? And where exactly do they need to be put?

......Speaking of Ranger 3, I've heard it had wingtip lights, but I have yet to find a decent screen capture showing them. Anyone have firm evidence of that? And where exactly do they need to be put?

They were indeed present on the miniature. Whether they were actually used is a matter of opinion. I never noticed them until the filming miniature came out to SoCal for a stint in "rehab" and I was able to see the thing taken apart. The cockpit has - I kid you not - over a dozen bar-LEDs in it.... total overkill. The nav lights were grain of wheat/rice bulbs....

The photos below are of crappy quality, but the navigation lights are called out with arrows (there are a total of four). Yeah, I don't get why there is one on the belly of the ship either.......

Gene

Thanks for the compliments, guys. And thanks for the photos, Gene. It's hard to tell in the B&W, but is that the 500 year old version? If it's not, then it looks like I didn't go far enough with my paint job. It's so hard to tell in the episode because you don't get a good, close up view of the ship until 500 years later.

Last edited:
Considering how low contrast the images are, I would have to say the model in those B&W pics probably is the 500 year old one. Thanks for posting these images Gene. Now I can decide whether or not to light them (and with four lights, I could light the thing like an airplane potentially).

I know what you mean Ringa about the 500 year ship being the best visible. Even in the episode "The Guardians" from season 2, all we saw was the 500 year old ship standing in for the "new" Ranger 3 during the flashback sequence (unless that was the "new" ship implying that the Draconians cleaned it up before sending it on its way). The only shot they pulled from the credit sequence of the new ship was the back shot from when it flew "under" the moon during its engine burn. It would have been so nice to see those other shots from that split screen of the burn into orbit and the flight by the moon in full screen.

JI know what you mean Ringa about the 500 year ship being the best visible. Even in the episode "The Guardians" from season 2 said:
Yes, and the shots in the beginning only show the "clean" ship in split screen, making it even smaller and lower resolution. But, even in those tiny images, the ship does appear to have a fair amount of weathering. Just too hard to tell. It would be great if photos of the clean model turned up somewhere.

Yeah, I believe it was weathered a bit on the bottom after those shots were taken (the black and white photos from Gene seem to suggest that anyway). E. James Small's Ranger 3 is a nice reference as well even if it is a copy as he tends to get his painting looks for studio models as close to exact as possible IMHO.

BTW, thanks again for posting those images of the light mounts Gene!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back