Ralph McQuarrie... RIP

Sad shocking news. Ralph's art was truly an inspiration. My copies of the Star Wars art and sketch books are falling apart from long hours of me gazing at them. RIP :(

RIP Ralph McQuarrie... Your work has literally made my life what it is and designed the images that I see in my dreams... The world will remember you forever

I got a big pit in my stomach when I found out about this yesterday, and still have it today. I am so saddened by this, he was such a huge influence on me and that's why I am an artist today. I would never have considered it to be a career without his inspiration. I will miss him greatly. :(

Thank you Ralph for helping to inspire generations of dreamers... you truly were the embodiment the word 'visionary'. RIP.

Nice tribute, Quint.

The passing of a Master. His legacy will live on in the motion pictures which bear the fruits of his incredible artistry and imagination. We can still learn so much from what he accomplished in his life's work, even today. RIP to a true visionary. I think what George Lucas wrote about Ralph on the SW website exemplifies his contribution, that Ralph would create a work of art based on Lucas' requests and then Lucas would say "Do it like this". Whose vision was it? I think the artist's. :)

I remember how glad Ralph was when eFX presented him the proto of the Vader helmet, and how happy was during the entire process of making that helmet, then he was enthusiastic to hear about this Stormtrooper helmet as well. He felt again young, his illness was defeated those days, because people were so interested not just in his previous work but also on his thought about future work. Artists care more about their work than their own lives.

I remember years ago when I helped his wife Joan with a traditional Romanian blouse very similar with the one wore by Marion in Indiana Jones. Both of them were so graceful, all the messages were friendly, and everyone knows he still signed stuff for free until recently - which is not the case with many other artists or celebrities. Ralph was different, he respected everyone, and he enjoyed seeing people writing to him. He shared small parts of his life with other people, because he loved everyone.

A few glimpses of Ralph McQuarrie the man:

autographralphmcquarrie.jpg

REST IN PEACE! Among the stars you loved to paint.

One of the top 5 contributors to Star Wars, in my estimation.

Thank you, Mr. McQuarrie, for helping supply me with a lifetime of joyous escapism.

Rest in Peace.

The Wook

While I didn’t have the pleasure of meeting him, it is sad to have lost such a talent. Being a member of the 501st, he truly inspired what became a hobby to soooo many people.

While we know we can’t hold on to someone forever, once they are gone we all wish we had just one more day.

Thanks Ralph McQuarrie for this :

ralph-mcquarrie-empire-strikes-back-dagobah.jpg

....................................................................................................................................................................................................:love

-Chaim

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back