Ralph McQuarrie Millennium Falcon

This is very interesting project to follow.
And thanks for sharing this.
I guess Ralph McQuarrie at somewhere up there is smiling.

katsu

I have to admit, when I first read this thread and saw the McQuarrie artwork you'd be working from I thought your project would be visually boring compared to the filming models because of the relative lack of external detail. But after seeing the work you've done so far and the direction in which your project is going, I can really see the appeal! Now I'm looking forward to seeing your continued progress. (y)thumbsup

Thanks very much for the comments guys, Ozzy....good to see you back!

Some more details:
tape.jpg

tape3.jpg

tape2.jpg

tape4.jpg

Thanks for the interest

John

Loving your process Jaitea. The greebles you're adding are looking great.

Wasn't it the original idea that the Falcon's cockpit rotated, like the later B-Wing, so the ship flew upright like this ?! Sure I read that somewhere years ago !!??

I tried this with my model of the FS soundstage Falcon, and my immediate reaction was "Let us never speak of this again..." it made her look like a sunfish. I think there's a reason they didn't go ahead with it (though I'm glad they brought back the idea of rotating flight mode for Fett's ship)

Does anyone know if the full scale MF on stage build first, an the Studio Scale Models replicating the look?

There is a theory that Elstree was full-steam-ahead on the Falcon while it was The Pirate Ship - at least the cockpit. They did take the cockpit off the Blockade Runner and add it to what became the five footer, but was it because they liked it or because the 1:1 was underway already? A chicken-egg thing with the info we have now, I think? I need to re-read Rinzler's Star Wars book.

I can't see different departments of a major production (especially a full scale build) not talking to one another. I'm sure the decision was made very early on and then it was full steam ahead... my two cents????

I can't see different departments of a major production (especially a full scale build) not talking to one another. I'm sure the decision was made very early on and then it was full steam ahead... my two cents????

the apeareance of the MF was changed very lately, because of the first plannend ship that what we now know as the blockade runner looks to similar to the space 2000 ships.

So the concept of the pirtate was changed to the "burger with olive" that what we know as the millenium falcon. The cockpit was taken from the blockaderunner where it was replaced by the two-bucket "hammerhead".

I think the models were build by ILM in CA, the full size MF by elstree in London.

Like moffeaton says, it's the chicken-egg-thing

It is highly likely the cockpit set was already underway when the change occurred. At the very least it had already been designed and plans drawn up.

The "fullscale" setpiece of the pirate ship, though...no evidence work had ever begun on it.

Thank you very much for the input & comments guys

An update....I spent a few nights making a docking ring over & over, eventually I was happy with the details on it, last night I realised I'd made it too small. This is it resized but with no detailing:

side.jpg

sideback.jpg

high2.jpg

high.jpg

Thanks for looking

John

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back