R5-D4 bad motivator

Here are a couple of photos of the bayonet plug from the vickers reading lamp…

IMG_5120.jpeg

IMG_5119.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

What diameter range does it need to be in to be a contender?
No idea. Just curious to compare to the auto socket contender. But I concur that this part would be laying around at the time since the other half was used on so many R2 droids! But looking at this part when fully connected, looks a little small to me. See photo.

Attachments

• IMG_5929.JPG
    IMG_5929.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 37
What diameter range does it need to be in to be a contender?
I still haven’t gotten around to tracing the screen grabs up in CAD, but did start taking some measurements during my lunch breaks of the bulb socket I have (though have not finished due to needing to work through my lunch breaks):
IMG_4782.jpeg

I did a super quick and dirty scaling test by cropping the screen grab to the largest diameter of the socket so I could hold it to my screen and get a general idea of if it could be a match (yes I know, this is an incredibly crude method), but it surprisingly made me see a few details I was overlooking that line up between the two. I’ve attempted to circle them here:

IMG_4669.jpeg

IMG_4670.jpeg

Obviously, not considering this conclusive evidence at all, but the similarities are definitely adding up for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
To my relatively novice eye, both the car plug and the vickers socket still seem in contention - they both have the riven that SCREAMINYELLOW has highlighted, and neither has the "funnel" shape underneath. Though the car socket certainly needs fewer additional parts to match up.

Also, when I compare my Astromech holoprojector to my Baddeley R5 dome, and eyeball it, the sizes look okay. I am very aware that neither of those parts is rigourously accurate in dimensions - but it's enough to make me unwilling to give up on the vickers socket just yet, because I really want there to be more instances of Vickers Viscount parts on astro-droids. :)

For what it's worth, Astromech does have the following as the dimensions of the R5-D4 head panels:

R5PanelDims.png

I've been unable to fully source where they got those numbers from, but the impression is that it's based off the original R5-D4 blueprints, and some reverse-engineering from the movies. This isn't enough to give a fully detailed size, I know, but it does at least offer some error-bounds, because it gives a rough size of the hole the motivator has to fit through.

Finally, over on Astromech there's mention of an in-building sprinkler nozzle that was thought to be the base of the original part. I don't have any further detail, alas. So that's not really usuable information as yet. (I have asked to see if anyone remembers what the sprinkler was.) However, assuming that Astromech didn't pull that idea out of no-where, it makes me wonder if the real motivator might have been the Vickers socket inserted into something else that had the funnel shape?

Great intel. Thank you. Such an amazing mystery! Fun to speculate. The vickers part would sure make sense, from a part-on-hand standpoint. The vickers socket would need that center piece removed. Is that removable? And does anyone have the dimensions of the vickers socket to compare to the auto socket and your dome specs?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back