R2D2 or C3P0 kits?

I thought all the HP's where silver?

You have some research to do. lol
Dig through the screen shot galleries at astromech and decide which version you are after ANH, ESB,or ROTJ. Even in ANH there are variations shot to shot.

BTW, don't forget about the radar eye "lens". I believe they are always available (around 15-20 bux).

Doug

If you are only doing the dome at this point, you don't need a dome drive setup -- as it mounts to the body.

Doug

true, but I saw some setups where there was just a dome, and the head swiveled anyway :).

turns out the guy making the $25 dollar resin radar isn't making them anymore.. WORR Parts : Astromech Parts so that leads us with this guy.. I assume these will fit the 300MM dome just fine?

I am ignorant, but I think (Wayne) WORR is part owner of Astromech. If I remember correctly, he just got his site together and before production had to step away before the ordering process began and help family out. Everyone is giving him space this last Fall.

If he is taking orders again, from what I hear his work is top-shelf.

I'm not an Astromech builder or expert but I remember GoldenArmour (I do not in anyway promote these guys) doing head, body and other bits. So am I right in saying that this is frowned upon with the droid builders community?
I'm just curious as I really admire all the work you guys put into these things :cool

true, but I saw some setups where there was just a dome, and the head swiveled anyway :).

turns out the guy making the $25 dollar resin radar isn't making them anymore.. WORR Parts : Astromech Parts so that leads us with this guy.. I assume these will fit the 300MM dome just fine?

Yes, his parts would be club spec. Contact him (Wayne) if parts are available.

Can you point me to a thread where someone has just a head that spins? It would have to be set on some kind of base that the dome drive would be mounted to. If you go this route you will have to go ahead and order the Rockler bearing ($70 range), the dome drive motor (Pitman), a drive wheel with possibly a shaft adapter and either buy a motor mount or build one. You'll need to power it and manually switch it. If you want it remote controlled that opens up another can-o-worms all together.

Doug

I'm not an Astromech builder or expert but I remember GoldenArmour (I do not in anyway promote these guys) doing head, body and other bits. So am I right in saying that this is frowned upon with the droid builders community?
I'm just curious as I really admire all the work you guys put into these things :cool

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!

I can tell you from firsthand experience that there work is extremely rough, I bought a fiberglass dome that turned out to be a GoldenArmour, it was a terrible decision and I ended up practically having to give that thing away to get rid of it. It isn't a matter of them not being to spec, it is a matter of it being an absolute waste of time/money.

Can you point me to a thread where someone has just a head that spins? It would have to be set on some kind of base that the dome drive would be mounted to. If you go this route you will have to go ahead and order the Rockler bearing ($70 range), the dome drive motor (Pitman), a drive wheel with possibly a shaft adapter and either buy a motor mount or build one. You'll need to power it and manually switch it. If you want it remote controlled that opens up another can-o-worms all together.

Doug

It was on a video somewhere. I can't seem t orefind the link. He had it set on a glass table top and was remotely controling the dome swivel with just the dome itself.

I def want this thing to be all remote controlled :)
-edit seems like astromech is having some problems, heh.

Last edited:
Here's some nice droids. Mine were both fiberglass kits. And no not Ga. The r2 is all fiberglass and resin. The dome is cold cast aluminum.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/these-droids-your-looking-show-us-your-droids-78786/

What are the legs made out of? I've been told there's no such thing as resin legs or resin body. Guess I may have to save up to buy that blue aluminum body I saw after all...

But if the legs are made of fiberglass and the thing moves rather solid, that might be the way to go to save some money there.

OK, we're in the process of securing a alum radar eye and I'm looking to get at least one alum holo projector. That SHOULD complete the head if we have the dome and the lights and the surrounds, right? at least as far as the outside is concerned...

we are going to try and get Mr.Servo finished on Monday, and start working on the Dome head.. on Tuesday.

First step is to remove all the excess parts around the panels. Second step is to find the proper blue color at sears. Third step is to block off the dome, and prime the panels...then paint blue. fourth step is to remove the excess slag on the inside of the outside dome. After that, that's all I can do until parts start arriving.

We've got the surrounds secured. We've got the Lights secured. We've got the radar eye secured when it goes on sale. All that is left is the three holo projectors, which no one seems to have on sale for the moment

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back