R2D2 Gripping Arm

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,
I was wanting to make a gripping arm for my R2 unit. I am to broke to buy one so have to build one out of scratch... yeh. Wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do such a thing?
Thanks!

Alex's R2-D2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I was wanting to make a gripping arm for my R2 unit. I am to broke to buy one so have to build one out of scratch... yeh. Wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do such a thing?:confusedView attachment 433083
Thanks!

i too started the journey on building a R2 and really want the ESB gripper arm like kurt linked. i know there were acouple resin arms made a long time ago on the builders club, but im amazed no one has 3d printed a gripper arm yet? i

i too started the journey on building a R2 and really want the ESB gripper arm like kurt linked. i know there were acouple resin arms made a long time ago on the builders club, but im amazed no one has 3d printed a gripper arm yet? i
Yeh. I might just make a scrap one out of wood and metal and plasti-dip it so it gets that worn down look:). Thanks for all the help

yes thats it, thats from the archives, but i insist there is more detail on screen then in the archive pictures. i think there was 2 different arms, kinda like the life for scanner, there was 2 different life for scanners. let me see if i can get the picture of the more detailed gripper

Last edited:
i have been paying extra attention lately to the gripper arm, there are many guys who use a robot arm like this

Arduino-2-DOF-mechanical-arm-gripper-robot-parts.jpg

but to me its too big, they can get it to open and close and rotate 180, but when returning it back inside R2 it has to remain open in order to be short enough to clear the door.

there was a guy who made resin grippers a long time ago, i would have liked to been able to grab one of those even if it didnt open or close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRMN0tSuhzM

the photo moffeaton posted is from the archives, i dont believe thats the screen used gripper, if it is its missing a few pieces and was repainted. as you can see below the claws are clearly silver and the body (hand) is black. this has been haunting me lately because we know there was 2 life form scanners made, maybe there was 2 grippers as well?
tumblr_lrjvjqNRm61qc823io1_500.jpg

you can also see a bunch of detail thats missing, it looks like little horns? to me it looks like on each claw it has 1 on the tip and 2 on the side im guessing the side we see thats not on screen has 2 as well, totaling 10 little horns
gripper1.jpg

gripper2.jpg

gripper3.jpg

gripper4.jpg

i wish someone would 3d print a gripper, you could make this open and close with a spring and a cable, a servo to pull the cable, compressing the spring and closing the claws

i dont have any 3d modeling skills, but i feel this is a R2 item that is greatly over looked and would love to have on my droid

ive seen that too. i just feel the ESB gripper i more scifi, i and more robot looking. though the cooking arm is probably going to be my best option..

i dont know anything about 3D printing but i know there is a market for these grippers if someone could cook up some 3d files for it, this gripper is very high demand

thanks for sharing!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back