R23D-P build

shsims

Ok all, time to let you know about my new build. I have decided to build an R2D2 unit using my 3D printer.

With a whole lot of help from Xrobots 3d files, videos and info I'm going to attempt this massive project. Its going to take a lot of work, time, money and patients.

I downloaded all of xrobots files, which bye the way he released for free to the public.
downloaded 123 D design to use the files, I started making stl files for all the frame parts

Last edited:
Ok I got the stl files made for the frame and I started printing up some of the parts

that should give you an Idea on size of project.
Ok now started to print from bottom up, and after aprox 16 hours of printing I got the base section finished, parts were cleaned a little and then chem welded using acetone as the welding agent.

ok on to lots, lots lots more printing, and just a note. each section of this has two layers to each section. this is the lower part where center foot drops down when hes moving

Last edited:
I wonder how accurate XRobots parts really are. I have seen on his Youtube channel that he uses a central shaft for the head, while original robots and most R2 builders use a ring-shaped Rockler bearing that goes around the rim.

Ok a small update, printed up the next level and it only took about 14 hours of printing

all glued

now to mix up some ABS slurry to fill cracks for extra strengh.

I am very interested in this and eagerly awaiting your updates. In the future, once you post photos, do not rearrange them in your photo account or the links that present them within the thread won't work any longer.

ok been a little busy but here is a little update, started making the frame risers

this is aprox 12 hours of printing time.
Ok if your curious this is the printer my using

Its an I3V 12" printer that I just finished upgrading from the Iv3 10" so I can make larger parts without having to split them

Last edited:
glad to see somebody attempting this, i followed xrobots' vlog when he was designing and building this. will you be editing the legs so that they are the proper thickness? Xrobots made the mistake of making them too skinny. ive considered doing his myself but I do not like the way he designed how the legs rotate on his build. if i did it i would probably redesign those parts and make them at work out of aluminum. but i wish you the best of luck on your build :D

Well I'm keeping a cost list of sorts, (not counting the printer) as of right now the cost of filiment is 60.00 (20.00 per spool) I am a member of R2 builders and have been told the electric board will cost around 300.00 but thats a long way down the road at the moment.

well I'm no engineer but I think making the legs thicker shouldn't be to difficult, as for the way they are connected if some can give me other options that aren't to expensive I would be interested.

well I'm no engineer but I think making the legs thicker shouldn't be to difficult, as for the way they are connected if some can give me other options that aren't to expensive I would be interested.

do you plan on doing a 2-3-2 if not then it can be less expensive connecting the legs

I just joined the Astromech builds forum recently to do this exact thing. I am planing on putting a Somabar in mine. Along with some Pi based controls to make it automated to the point where one can verbally order a drink and using NFC chips in glasses and a weight sensor on a reservoir pumped up into the correct type of glass.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back