R2-D2 foam build. Pictures of R2's trip to school.

Re: R2-D2 foam build.

I have been thinking of an R2 build for a while and this is very in inspiring. My question is getting a head of your progress a bit but was wondering if you will cover the outer foam or paint? Keep up the good work can't wait to see more pics..

Thank you. I am in two minds I was thinking about covering the whole thing with for sale sign material. But I will just go with spray paint. Quicker.

Last edited:

Jamie

Any update on this build. I fell in love with the idea and would love to see how it ended up.

Update coming soon, have to just get the halloween costumes all finished. Look for update on R2 early next week.
I am glad you are looking forward to seeing more.

There will be an update by this Friday (30th March). I have been doing some more to this and will post pictures Friday night.

Ok I couldn't wait to post pics. here are some updates for you all.
I started to strengthern the main body.
DSCF5381.jpg

This part is not glued in yet as i am have to finish the legs and fix them inside before glueing this part down.
DSCF5382.jpg

Here is another look at the main suport.
DSCF5386.jpg

DSCF5387.jpg

I started to more on the legs, here I am working on the lower ankle area.
DSCF5383.jpg

Here are the pieces all glued.
DSCF5384.jpg

DSCF5385.jpg

Here is what I have so far.
DSCF5389.jpg

DSCF5388.jpg

This is fantastic. R2 is one of those things I want to build but the cost seemed prohibitive. The foam idea is really inspired. :)

Ok I couldn't wait to post pics. here are some updates for you all.
I started to strengthern the main body.

This part is not glued in yet as i am have to finish the legs and fix them inside before glueing this part down.

Here is another look at the main suport.

I started to more on the legs, here I am working on the lower ankle area.

Here are the pieces all glued.

Here is what I have so far.

You never cease to amaze me.

For the dome: maybe one of the guys on the Astromech board would send you a reject - wouldn't hurt to ask.

The other thing to try is *if* there's a plastics supplier (plexiglass, etc.) in your area, take a trip down and see what they may have as "scrap". A buddy of mine got an 18" half-dome for about $5 once. (But it was a looooong time ago).

Last: why not throw up a "WTB" thread in the JY and see if anyone has a damaged/second/whatever dome they'd like to get off their hands?

Thanks for the kind words. As for the dome I would have to put up a WFF add (want for free) lol. Money is so tight I can not afford even a reject dome. My wife and I allow ourselves around $20-30 each a month for fun and that covers my foam. I was thinking of maybe getting an excercise ball and covering it with paper-mache, I know someone who did that for a relix the cat costume head.

Here is another update, I have been busy this morning working on the feet.
First make templates.
DSCF5390.jpg

Then cut out peices and start gluing together.
DSCF5391.jpg

Here our feet so far.
DSCF5399.jpg

Here is the start of one of the battery boxes.
DSCF5398.jpg

Here are some of the pieces standing together.
DSCF5400.jpg

I found a great way to make almost seemless foam seems. I am going to put a seperate thread up for that and then link to it here later.

Enjoy.

Thank you, the templates I got from the yahoo astromech builders group. I am not sure if they allow people to share them outside of the group. I will ask and see.

could u share which templates your using, im part of the group as well and theres so many different templates lol

here is a small update. Only a small one, been busy today helping my wife and girls. (it is Girl Guides cookie week and with my wife being in charge of the local guides we are the main drop off point for the cookies so we had 147 cases of cookies delivered today, 12 boxes of cookies in each case, 1764 boxes of cookies in total).. Anyway here is the update.
did some work on the battery boxes.
DSCF5419.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back