R2-D2 - 1976 RC True Historic Build blog

The next step in the build to order the inner brackets and my long wedges. That order is going in today.

The original domes had a flange “L” ring welded into the dome. This flange had the three holes for mounting the dome on the head bearing locating pins.

This Is the laser scan I am working against. I need to model the flange in the sheet metal design package. I haven’t done anything with stampings since I worked at a stamping plant while going to school.

Interested to see how much I’ve forgotten. ;p

screenshot 2019-03-14 01.35.43.png

The remaining batch of the front flashing optics for the head were delivered this evening. These were meant to be ordered as part of the original batch, but I fat fingered the order quantities.

IMG_2524.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

Last edited:
The original ANH units did not have actual vent holes in the body Detail 'A' dressing.
The vents were actually tape or dry transfers.

Also the blueprints and all the photos show evenly spaced concentric "Stacked Discs"

This is the kit that I've got going to replica the original details to the first film.

You can use the alignment marks on the dry transfer to make a nice symmetric application.
Or you can go manual to get the authentic asymmetric look.

6.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back