R.I.P. Robin Williams

It's so easy to make people cry... it takes a talent and a pure heart to make people smile. Rest in peace and my heart goes out to the loved ones he left behind.

I grew up listening to stand-up on vinyl, Cosby, Winters, The Smothers Bros, Flanders and Swan, etc. I only knew Robin as Mork until my older sister brought home "Reality: What a Concept" when I was 8. It opened a whole new world of comedy to me (swearing on a comedy record! :eek :lol) and relevant social commentary - "The ghost of Einstein comes hither!" (most of the stuff I was listening to was over 10 years old). It made me a fan of his for life.
Thanks for so many smiles Robin, going to miss you in a big way. :cry:cheers

Man, don't know what to say... Can't believe it...

A great actor and comedian passed away, that's really sad. :cry

All the best to his family...

Very sad news, I thought it was a sick joke at first. Although it is sad I must admit at the same time this makes me incredibly angry.

I don't want to go into too much detail but in my line of work I deal with suicides and cleaning up the aftermath on a regular basis, it's not nice and it's incredibly selfish.

My heart goes out to his family

You know what's not fair? You are sad, you feel sad, you get better about him since 9 hours after and still… when you see this interviews, he makes you laugh, while you really want to cry because you miss him as a human being, even though you never knew him personally.

I liked the tweet, forgot from whom, but it went something like, "But I am Pagliana!". I thought that it summed things up pretty nicely, when you're somebody that's as funny as Robin Williams who do you turn to to make you laugh when you're down?

It was Patton Oswalt's tweet. It might be older, but the story was used in the "The Watchmen" comic/film. It definitely applies in this case.

It was Patton Oswalt's tweet. It might be older, but the story was used in the "The Watchmen" comic/film. It definitely applies in this case.

I know about the Watchmen connection, it was something that Roarsach said I believe. Anyway, like you, I thought it definitely applied here which is why I liked the tweet, I thought it summed up everything quite nicely.

If you have the Iheartradio app on your phone or computer the 24/7 comedy channel is doing a 24 hours of Robin Williams.

The more I think about it the less surprising it seems to me. He was a funny guy and very talented but for me his comedy never really clicked with me on a whole, it always seemed like he was really trying way too hard to get people to like him with that energy of his. In hindsight that's a huge sign of potential depression issues.

I'll never forget many of his fantastic film roles where I personally think he shone the most.

RIP Robin. You'll be missed greatly.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

You know the Vids people are posting is such a wonderful tribute to him, even in death he has me rolling on the floor, which is what they are doing up there.

I'm sure Jonothan and him are having a blast

This is the quote that's so fitting:

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he’s depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, “Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up.” Man bursts into tears. Says, “But doctor…I am Pagliacci.”

RIP, Pan the man.

This is still a hard pill to swallow. I remember sitting on the floor watching "Toys" of all things before my fourth birthday. I'm devastated, but not wholly surprised. I never knew the battles he faced - but it usually goes that some of the most flamboyant people are fighting incredible wars inside. I will sorely miss him.

It's sad to hear about this. I remember as a kid seeing the Popeye movie, Toys, Jack, watching over the years, up to when he did Law and Order SVU more recently. He was definately one to be remembered. It's especially sad to hear about his depression, I deal with a lot slighter form of it, and my fiance has been down plenty of dark roads because of it, including attempting suicide. It is very serious, no matter who you are, it can get to you and make you go to very dark places.

RIP sir, it is sad to see you go.

I think this comment from his Mrs Doubtfire co-star Harvey Fierstein is worth quoting:
Please, people, do not f#ck with depression. It’s merciless. All it wants is to get you in a room alone and kill you. If you are feeling depressed reach out, scream out, make sure someone takes hold of you and helps until you are well enough to help yourself.
Unless you've had experience with it, or been there for someone who has, it is all too easy to underestimate how real, dangerous and isolating depression can be.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back