Questions about making a latex mask / prosthetic

DR4296

Greetings All!

OK, so it has been at least five years since I made my first and only latex mask (Davey Jones with tentacles)... and I'm feeling a bit rusty. Also, I'm pressed for time this year (with regards to Halloween), since our house is on the market (packing/ prepping to move).

So I thought I'd ask the crowd here some of my most pressing questions.

Background: I am planning a Jim Carrey Grinch build. I have a foam head, modelling clay, liquid latex, and petroleum jelly standing by.

I guess I am most concerned about how one would go about making MULTIPLE COPIES of their prosthetic. This is because I anticipate having to weat my costume to at least three different Halloween events / multiple days' wearings. And I have read that a prosthetic really should only be worn ONCE. Supposedly, further attempts to wear the same piece won't look as good, as the edges simply will bot hold up very well?

So, if I intend to use one clay cast to build my masks on...I'm assuming it'd be easiest to paint each one before removing it from the cast? How should I store each one and make sure they retain their shape? If I remember correctly, each successive piece will end up with less and less definition / detail, correct? What's the name of that lates adhesive I need to get?

Also, the Grinch's head is rather bulbous. And his nose area probably isnt going to hug my face. (At least, it shouldnt ) I feel like I'm going to need some sort of padding between me and the mask, at points. Not sure how to handle that.

Thanks! !

-= Dave =-

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back