questions about Blu-Ray + Digital copy + Ultraviolet,

Bigdaddy

Master Member
I'm not tech savvy (at all) so hopefully somebody can explain this to me. I got a BR+DVD+DC of Kick-Ass around Christmas. Today I attempted to transfer the digital copy to my PC. I clicked the window for Media player instead of iTunes on the disc menu, but instead of asking for the authorization code I got this message:

"Thank you for your interest in this digital copy. We’re sorry, but the redemption period has expired. For more information about digital copy from Lionsgate Home Video, please visit www.lionsgatedigitalcopy.com."
Does that mean I purchased a worthless copy? The package didn't indicate any deadline, but the inner sleeve has a fine print saying that codes might not be valid after 8/3/2011??
I bought it in December of 2013! :behave Any ideas on how I can get the copy I bought with the set?

Kick-Ass 2: Came with an "Ultraviolet" digital copy, does that mean I can only stream it rather than have it on my hard drive? I have a maximum download of 500mb per day (only replenishes 250mb per day) So streaming or downloading movies doesn't work for me. :( If a high speed connection is needed for Ultraviolet play back, seems like it will be worthless for me.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

You can contact lionsgate and tell them you bought it new but it came with an expired code. More often than not they will give a new valid code, although if it's not even getting to entering the code, I'm not sure that will help. It would be worth it to try it in iTunes, just to see if that works.

Yes ultraviolet is streaming only.

Last edited:
You can contact lionsgate and tell them you bought it new but it came with an expired code. More often than not they will give a new valid code, although if it's not even getting to entering the code, I'm not sure that will help. It would be worth it to try it in iTunes, just to see if that works.

Do I need to set-up an iTunes account? I figured it only worked with Apple products.

It seems like the newer movies all come with Ultraviolet copies now, I guess I won't bother with those anymore. (until my part of the world catches up with digital infrastructure :facepalm)

And this is why I don't bother with digital copies. If I want a copy on my computer or on the go, it's far less hassle to... get it elsewhere. Besides, I tend to only watch full-length movies on the big screen, and I've got the original Blu-ray disc for that.

Unfortunately, codes do expire even if there isn't an expiration date and if it advertised on 'a web retailer' as having a digital download.
That being said I like iTunes copies and seek out the DVDs with a download.

Which is why I don't like Ultraviolet and want Itunes copies. Not everyone can have streaming or connection to a cloud.

I've heard nothing good about Ultraviolet, there's a massive backlash against them over the veronica mars movie right now too.

Honestly, watching UV movies through VUDU is second only to Blu-ray itself. The PQ is fantastic with a high speed connection. I never watch iTunes Digital Copies, but have watched a ton of movies using VUDU.

"Digital-copies" are like the supidest thing ever thought up. Bluray+digitalcopy bought very legally through very well-known retailer "from a foreign country" (in Europe) only to be told I can't download it or get a code which would work where I live..... :facepalm
And some people wonder why some people support pirated movies, or at least the way those actually work without any bleeeping hazzle(!) :p

"We're sorry but the Ferrari you have purchased has expired and isn't driveable any longer. Please contact the manufacturer for a service update for an additional charge"
I just hate when that happens :rolleyes

I can't imagine buying a bag of potato chips, only to find they printed the expiration date on the inside of the bag, and that the chips had gone rancid 2 years before they were purchased.
I filled out a support email with Lionsgate so hopefully they can do something, if not, I guess I'll be looking for a guy with an eye-patch, I PAID for a digital copy, so I'm going to get a digital copy. :darnkids

I like UV because I can log into VUDU on almost any device and stream my movies, great for traveling. I dont want to download it and take up a ton of space, and I still have the bluray at home.

Typically, UV can connect to several services: iTunes, VUDU, and Flixster. Through some fancy footwork, you can often get your copy registered on all 3 services.

VUDU is, I believe, in full HD. iTunes I THINK is the same. Flixster I'm not sure about, since I mostly only use that to watch stuff on my phone where I don't care as much if it's HD (since it's a small screen anyway).

However, Flixster and VUDU each let you download the film to watch later, just like iTunes, but also let you stream it if you want.

I hated UV until VUDU hopped on the bandwagon. Now I redeem all my UV digital copies with VUDU and even buy digital copies when the price is right - 1080p streaming and able to download to your device. The only drawback with VUDU thus far is their mobile streaming is 480p only, but their 480p is remarkably good, I suspect the resolution may be slightly higher than 480p. My tablet is a 7" anyway so the quality is perfectly acceptable. Looks like you can download 720p to your PC with VUDU, and the PS3 allows 1080p downloads.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone will honor an expired code, even if you bought it after the code expired. Sucks that some studios do this, you might be able to talk your way into a free copy through their customer service, doesn't hurt to ask and it certainly won't cost the studio anything.

I bought some movies back in Nov/Dec and my codes were expired in Sept. I don't use UV though, I buy the BluRay+DVD+UV packs because my family likes to get the set so we can share dvds instead of each person buying a copy lol

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back