Question pertaining to what is and isn't recasting. Upscaling a minature.

Egon Spengler

Master Member
Okay. Just a question that's been bouncing around in my head.

Say you have a miniature version of a helmet from any series or film. It's a scaled down version obviously.

Now if you took that miniature and put masking tape on it, cut off the pattern pieces you made from it, and then blew up the pattern files to full size, used them as a pattern, and put together a helmet, is that something that would be looked down upon or not?

Kind of seems like a weird grey area but it's a shower thought that came through my mind :D

Just thought I'd toss it out there.

Opinions?

Addition: The scale up thing came to mind after I saw the Rancor build use it to scale up a sculpt they made for the costume.

Last edited:
Have we had a conversation about the nuances of what counts as recasting lately? Could be fun to throw around some hypotheticals.

I think there's some level of "generations removed" that could come into play.

Edit: generations isn't the right term, more like "levels of transformation"

What about using someone else's replica as a photo reference when making something (from scratch), if you don't have good pictures of the original?

Last edited:
Miniature helmet made by a known Company or an artist here or Etsy/elswhere?
Whichever anyone wants to discuss the aspects of. :)

Have we had a conversation about the nuances of what counts as recasting lately? Could be fun to throw around some hypotheticals.

I think there's some level of "generations removed" that could come into play.

Edit: generations isn't the right term, more like "levels of transformation"

What about using someone else's replica as a photo reference when making something (from scratch), if you don't have good pictures of the original?

The photo reference thing, I think is different than actually recasting in my opinion. That's kind of "inspired" possibly? I don't know.

O.k. Hypothetical: a RPF member gave me permission to re-cast his/her work only if it was for my personal project only. If I modify that cast, how much transformations would be needed to make it my own? 10%, 20%...more?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back