Question on another product: QuickSteel Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty.

CB2001

Master Member
Well, as some of you may know, I tend to ask questions about certain products as a means of understand what could be useful for prop creation/model builder/etc. I came across a product called QuickSteel Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty at a local auto parts store. I thought maybe it could be useful in some of my small projects (especially with the action figure stuff), but I wasn't sure about it. Has anyone else heard of this stuff and have used it? What's the consensus on it?

Is this the stuff that comes in a tube?

If it is what I'm thinking of, its a 2 part epoxy putty that sets in 5 minutes, full cure time is 24hr I believe. I've used it for patching holes, general uncomplicated sculpting and for quickie snap plates on armor.

Its sticky so constantly dip your fingers in water to make it a littler easier to manipulate.

Is this the stuff that comes in a tube?

If it is what I'm thinking of, its a 2 part epoxy putty that sets in 5 minutes, full cure time is 24hr I believe. I've used it for patching holes, general uncomplicated sculpting and for quickie snap plates on armor.

Its sticky so constantly dip your fingers in water to make it a littler easier to manipulate.

Yeah, it comes in a tube and is a two-part epoxy with that set and cure time. I was asking as I know I've got a Jeep Cherokee toy (made of plastic) I had cut into when I was younger that will need to be repaired, and I thought it would be either this or Bondo to repair the hole I cut. Plus, I figured it may be something useful for other projects, such as props and such.

So, is it a recommended item or would it just be easier to use something else for any small project?

For smaller holes in plastic get the plastic welder epoxy as it etches into the plastic and becomes one with the plastic, use it as a backer patch and top it off with bondo to blend smooth... Or use JB Weld, as a backer...

For smaller holes in plastic get the plastic welder epoxy as it etches into the plastic and becomes one with the plastic, use it as a backer patch and top it off with bondo to blend smooth... Or use JB Weld, as a backer...

Thanks for the info. The hole I cut into it was actually me attempting to carve out a chunk of plastic where the "Jeep" brand is on the real vehicles (which I partially did), so I know I've got some sculpting to do to make it look right again. But, like I said, I have also considered on using it for any prop-related projects I may encounter in the near future, which is why I asked the question here.

Epoxy putty is very handy stuff, I always have some on hand. You can make repairs, and even make parts out of it. When cured it can be cut filed and sanded, it'll be like a hard plastic.

It's useful for tacking parts in place, especially parts that can't be clamped. It'll hold them in place, and give you a minute or two for positioning. When set, apply regular epoxy over it to glue in permanently.

If it's the stuff I'm thinking of then yes, it's got lots of potential. It's basically car repair bondo with added fibers for strength. The annoying part is that the fibers make it thick and stringy, not that good for trowling on, but great for strength.

Blip - It probably is, as I found it at the Discount Auto Parts store in town.

As I said, I'm looking at it for a few future projects, including repairing/accuratizing this old Jeep toy. So, I was wondering if anyone else has used it and what they thought of it.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back